Current:Home > MyU.S. closes Haiti embassy amid "rapid gunfire" after Haitians march to demand security -Blueprint Money Mastery
U.S. closes Haiti embassy amid "rapid gunfire" after Haitians march to demand security
SafeX Pro View
Date:2025-04-06 13:56:45
Port-au-Prince, Haiti — The U.S. Embassy in Haiti said it was closing down on Tuesday due to gunfire nearby, after months of ceaseless violence at the hands of gangs drove thousands of Haitians onto the streets to demand security.
"The Embassy is closed today. All personnel are restricted to Embassy compounds until further notice due to gunfire in the vicinity of the Embassy. Travel between the compounds is prohibited," the embassy said in a statement posted on its website and social media channels, adding that some routes to the secure compound could also be "impacted due to continued rapid gunfire."
The embassy's statement warned U.S. nationals in Port-au-Prince to avoid the area around the diplomatic compound completely, along with any "demonstrations and any large gatherings of people."
Security Alert: U.S. Embassy Port-au-Prince, Haiti (July 27, 2023)Location: HaitiEvents: Given the recent armed...
Posted by American Citizen Services - U.S. Embassy, Port-au-Prince, Haiti on Thursday, July 27, 2023
The embassy was shuttered a day after several thousand people — their faces covered to conceal their identities — marched through Haiti's capital demanding protection from the violent gangs which have pillaged neighborhoods across the capital city and beyond for months.
Haitians' daily lives have been disrupted by incessant gang violence that has worsened poverty across the country as it awaits a decision from the U.N. Security Council over a potential deployment of an international armed force.
"We want security!" the crowd chanted as it marched for two hours Monday from the troubled community of Carrefour-Feuilles to Champ de Mars in the downtown area and then to the prime minister's official residence, where police broke up the demonstration with tear gas.
"I can't work. I can't go out. I'm like a prisoner in my own home," said Wilene Joseph, a 36-year-old street vendor and mother of two who joined the march out of frustration.
"I worry about my kids being shot because bullets are flying from all directions all the time," Joseph said of her children, ages 5 and 7. "The situation is unacceptable."
Since the assassination of President Jovenel Moïse in 2021, experts say gangs have seized control of up to 80% of Port-au-Prince, killing, raping and sowing terror in communities already suffering endemic poverty.
From January to March, more than 1,600 people have been reported killed, injured or kidnapped, a nearly 30% increase compared with the last three months of 2022, according to the newest U.N. report.
On Monday, UNICEF announced an "alarming spike" in kidnappings, with nearly 300 confirmed cases so far this year, almost equaling the number reported for all of last year, and almost three times the total for 2021.
The agency noted that women and children are increasingly being kidnapped and used for financial or tactical gain. Among those kidnapped in late July was Alix Dorsainvil, a U.S. nurse from New Hampshire, and her young daughter.
Dorsainvil works for El Roi Haiti, a Christian organization that offers medical care, education and other services. She and her daughter remain in the hands of their captors, who are demanding $1 million in ransom.
Parents of young children are particularly fearful that gangs will snatch them when they go to and from school. Nacheline Nore, 40, said her two boys, ages 10 and 8, have to call her every day as soon as they step inside their school, and she rides back home with them every afternoon: "You don't know who's going to be the next target," she said.
Mario Jenty, a 36-year-old cell phone vendor who joined Monday's march, said the increase in kidnappings is pushing Haitians into even deeper poverty. "They're going to have to sell that home to pay for ransom, and there's a chance they might not be released," he said of the victims.
Jenty, who lives in Carrefour-Feuilles, said he would not allow gangs to take over his neighborhood. "I'm going to fight this," he said. "I'd rather die than leave my community."
Jenty joined the thousands of Haitians who yelled "Bwa kale!" on Monday as they marched, a reference to a violent uprising that began earlier this year, with civilians targeting suspected gang members. More than 200 people have been slain since then, and demonstrators vowed to keep the movement alive as gangs overwhelm Haiti's understaffed and under resourced police department.
Last October, Haiti's prime minister and other top-ranking officials requested the urgent deployment of an international armed force to help quell gang violence.
In late July, Kenya offered to lead a multinational police force, but the U.N. Security Council has yet to vote on a resolution to authorize a non-U.N. multinational mission. The U.S. said last week that it would put forward such a resolution.
- In:
- Haiti
- Gun Violence
veryGood! (37)
Related
- Are Instagram, Facebook and WhatsApp down? Meta says most issues resolved after outages
- Commissioner Adam Silver: NBA can't suspend Thunder's Josh Giddey on 'allegation alone'
- These Sephora Products Are Almost Never on Sale, Don’t Miss Deals on Strivectin, Charlotte Tilbury & More
- Lobbying group overstated how much organized shoplifting hurt retailers
- Paula Abdul settles lawsuit with former 'So You Think You Can Dance' co
- Anthony Davis leads Lakers to NBA In-Season Tournament title, 123-109 over Pacers
- We Ranked All of Meg Ryan's Rom-Coms and We'll Still Have What She's Having
- Two men plead guilty in Alabama riverfront brawl; charge against co-captain is dismissed
- Backstage at New York's Jingle Ball with Jimmy Fallon, 'Queer Eye' and Meghan Trainor
- Sean Diddy Combs denies accusations after new gang rape lawsuit
Ranking
- What to watch: O Jolie night
- Workshop collapses in southern China, killing 6 and injuring 3
- Brazil’s Lula takes heat on oil plans at UN climate talks, a turnaround after hero status last year
- Post-summit news conferences highlight the divide between China and the EU
- Meta donates $1 million to Trump’s inauguration fund
- Columbus Crew vs. Los Angeles FC MLS Cup 2023: Live stream, time, date, odds, how to watch
- Alo Yoga's 40% Off Sale Has Bras Starting at $34 & We Can't Click Fast Enough
- Ryan O'Neal, star of Love Story and Paper Moon, is dead at 82
Recommendation
What to watch: O Jolie night
Military-themed brewery wants to open in a big Navy town. An ex-SEAL is getting in the way
Kids are losing the Chuck E. Cheese animatronics. They were for the parents, anyway
Daddy Yankee retiring from music to devote his life to Christianity
Macy's says employee who allegedly hid $150 million in expenses had no major 'impact'
Jersey City's 902 Brewing hops on the Tommy DeVito train with new brew 'Tommy Cutlets'
Bo Nix's path to Heisman finalist: from tough times at Auburn to Oregon stardom
'Murder in Boston' is what a docuseries should look like