Current:Home > MarketsOliver James Montgomery-Palestinians crowd into ever-shrinking areas in Gaza as Israel’s war against Hamas enters 3rd month -Blueprint Money Mastery
Oliver James Montgomery-Palestinians crowd into ever-shrinking areas in Gaza as Israel’s war against Hamas enters 3rd month
Robert Brown View
Date:2025-04-06 23:01:33
RAFAH,Oliver James Montgomery Gaza Strip (AP) — Desperate Palestinians fleeing Israel’s expanding ground offensive crowded into an ever-shrinking area of the Gaza Strip as the Israel-Hamas war entered its third month Friday. The United Nations warned that its aid operation is “in tatters” because no place in the besieged enclave is safe.
Israel’s ferocious military assault on Gaza, a tiny, densely populated territory, has led to widespread civilian casualties and mass displacements, triggering international alarm.
The Israeli army said Friday that over the past day the military had struck about 450 targets in the Gaza Strip by air, sea and ground, signaling the continued intensity of Israel’s campaign.
Earlier this week, U.N Secretary-General Antonio Guterres used a rarely exercised power to warn the Security Council of an impending “humanitarian catastrophe,” and Arab and Islamic nations have called for a vote Friday on a draft Council resolution demanding an immediate humanitarian cease-fire.
The United States, Israel’s closest ally, appears likely to block any U.N. effort to halt the fighting which was triggered by the deadly Oct. 7 attack by Hamas militants on southern Israel. Still, U.S. concern over the devastation was growing. U.S. officials told Israel ahead of the expansion of its ground offensive to southern Gaza several days ago that it must limit civilian deaths and displacement, saying too many Palestinians were killed when it obliterated much of Gaza City and the north.
On Thursday, Secretary of State Antony Blinken said in a call with Israeli Minister of Strategic Affairs Ron Dermer that casualties are still too high, a senior State Department official said. Blinken told Dermer that Israel must also do more to allow humanitarian aid into Gaza. The official spoke on condition of anonymity to discuss the private diplomatic discussion.
Palestinians evacuate a wounded woman following Israeli airstrikes in Khan Younis refugee camp, southern Gaza Strip, Thursday, Dec. 7, 2023. (AP Photo/Mohammed Dahman)
Israel insists it must crush the military capabilities of Hamas, which rules Gaza, and remove it from power following the group’s Oct. 7 attack.
In the first stage of the war, Israel’s devastating air and ground campaign focused on the northern half of Gaza, as hundreds of thousands or residents fled south. Intense battles continued in parts of the north in recent days, while troops there have rounded up hundreds of Palestinian men.
In photos and video published Thursday, dozens of men are seen sitting in rows on a street in northern Gaza, stripped down to their underwear with their heads bowed as they are being guarded by Israeli troops.
A Palestinian woman gestures following Israeli airstrikes in Khan Younis refugee camp, southern Gaza Strip, Thursday, Dec. 7, 2023. (AP Photo/Mohammed Dahman)
The images were the first showing such detentions in the war. Israeli military spokesman Daniel Hagari said troops have detained and interrogated hundreds of people in Gaza suspected of militant links. U.N. monitors said troops reportedly detained men and boys from the age of 15 in a school-turned-shelter in the town of Beit Lahiya, in the north.
Over the past week, Israeli forces expanded their ground offensive into southern Gaza, with a focus on Khan Younis, the territory’s second largest city.
With the entire Gaza Strip under military assault, tens of thousands of people displaced by the fighting have packed into the border city of Rafah, in the far south of the Gaza Strip, and Muwasi, a nearby patch of barren coastline that Israel has declared a safe zone.
With shelters significantly beyond capacity, many people pitched tents along the side of the road leading from Rafah to Muwasi.
Palestinians evacuate a wounded woman following Israeli airstrikes in Khan Younis refugee camp, southern Gaza Strip, Thursday, Dec. 7, 2023. (AP Photo/Mohammed Dahman)
“Humanitarian actors … are reporting extreme overcrowded conditions and lack of basic resources in Rafah,” said the United Nations’ humanitarian affairs section.
The ability of U.N. aid agencies to receive vital aid supplies had been “significantly impaired” over the past few days due to trucks and staff being stranded by the fighting, and telecommunications blackout, it said.
“We do not have a humanitarian operation in southern Gaza that can be called by that name anymore,” the U.N.’s humanitarian chief, Martin Griffiths, warned Thursday. The pace of Israel’s military assault “has made no place safe for civilians in southern Gaza, which had been a cornerstone of the humanitarian plan to protect civilians and thus to provide aid to them. But without places of safety, that plan is in tatters.”
Palestinians displaced by the Israeli ground offensive on the Gaza Strip set up a tent camp in the Muwasi area Thursday, Dec. 7, 2023. AP Photo/Fatima Shbair)
With the entire Gaza Strip under military assault, Israel designated Muwasi on the territory’s Mediterranean Coast as a safe zone for those seeking safety from the fighting between Israeli troops and Hamas militants. But the U.N. and relief agencies say it is a poorly planned solution that offers no guarantee of safety in a territory where civilians have been faced by airstrikes even in other areas where the Israeli army has ordered them to evacuate to.
Israel’s campaign has killed more than 17,100 people in Gaza — 70% of them women and children — and wounded more than 46,000, according to the territory’s Health Ministry, which says many others are trapped under rubble. The ministry does not differentiate between civilian and combatant deaths.
Hamas and other militants killed about 1,200 people, mostly civilians, in the Oct. 7 attack and took more than 240 hostages. An estimated 138 hostages remain in Gaza, mostly soldiers and civilian men, after 105 were freed during a cease-fire in late November.
___
Mroue contributed from Beirut, Lebanon and Becatoros from Athens, Greece.
veryGood! (35)
Related
- EU countries double down on a halt to Syrian asylum claims but will not yet send people back
- WNBA Rookie of the Year odds: Caitlin Clark, Angel Reese heavy favorites early on
- Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie's 15-Year-Old Daughter Credited as Vivienne Jolie in Broadway Playbill
- Kim Kardashian, Kris Jenner and More Send Love to Scott Disick on His 41st Birthday
- Whoopi Goldberg is delightfully vile as Miss Hannigan in ‘Annie’ stage return
- Walmart ends credit card partnership with Capital One: What to know
- Trista Sutter Breaks Silence About Her Absence and Reunites With Husband Ryan and Kids
- Papua New Guinea government says Friday’s landslide buried 2,000 people and formally asks for help
- Skins Game to make return to Thanksgiving week with a modern look
- Lightning strike kills Colorado rancher and 34 head of cattle
Ranking
- Hackers hit Rhode Island benefits system in major cyberattack. Personal data could be released soon
- Mike Tyson Suffers Medical Emergency on Flight to Los Angeles
- Athletic Club's Iñaki Williams played with shard of glass in his foot for 2 years
- Leo lives! Miracle dog survives after owner dies in Fenn treasure hunt
- IRS recovers $4.7 billion in back taxes and braces for cuts with Trump and GOP in power
- Severe storms tear through Texas, Arkansas and Oklahoma, killing at least 14
- Voter outreach groups targeted by new laws in several GOP-led states are struggling to do their work
- First-place Seattle Mariners know what they're doing isn't sustainable in AL West race
Recommendation
Which apps offer encrypted messaging? How to switch and what to know after feds’ warning
Full transcript of Face the Nation, May 26, 2024
Kim Kardashian, Kris Jenner and More Send Love to Scott Disick on His 41st Birthday
Sophia Bush responds to Ashlyn Harris engagement rumors: 'The internet is being wild'
Travis Hunter, the 2
NFL wants $25 billion in revenues by 2027. Netflix deal will likely make it a reality.
Kaapo Kakko back in lineup for Rangers, taking spot of injured Jimmy Vesey
Farmworkers face high-risk exposures to bird flu, but testing isn’t reaching them