Current:Home > FinanceLate-night talk shows coming back after going dark for 5 months due of writers strike -Blueprint Money Mastery
Late-night talk shows coming back after going dark for 5 months due of writers strike
TradeEdge Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 17:05:48
Los Angeles — Late-night talk shows are returning after a five-month absence brought on by the Hollywood writers strike, while actors will begin talks that could end their own long work walk-off.
CBS's " The Late Show With Stephen Colbert," ABC's " Jimmy Kimmel Live! " and NBC's " The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon" were the first shows to leave the air when the writers strike began on May 2, and now will be among the first to return on Monday night.
Comedian John Oliver got his first take on the strike out, exuberantly returning Sunday night to his "Last Week Tonight" show on HBO and delivering full-throated support for the strike.
Oliver cheerily delivered a recap of stories from the last five months before turnings serious, calling the strike "an immensely difficult time" for all those in the industry.
"To be clear, this strike happened for good reasons. Our industry has seen its workers severely squeezed in recent years," Oliver said. "So, the Writers Guild went to strike and thankfully won. But, it took a lot of sacrifices from a lot of people to achieve that."
"I am also furious that it took the studios 148 days to achieve a deal they could have offered on day (expletive) one," Oliver said. He added that he hopes the writers contract would give leverage to other entertainment industry guilds - as well as striking auto workers and employees in other industries - to negotiate better deals.
Warner Bros. Discovery, which owns HBO, is among the studios on the other side of the table in the writers and actors strikes.
Network late-night hosts will have their returns later Monday.
Colbert will have Astrophysicist and author Neil deGrasse Tyson on his first show back. Kimmel will host Arnold Schwarzenegger. Matthew McConaughey will be on Fallon's couch.
All the hosts will surely address the strike in their monologues.
"I'll see you Monday, and every day after that!" an ebullient Colbert said in an Instagram video last week from the Ed Sullivan Theater, which was full of his writers and other staffers for their first meeting since spring.
The hosts haven't been entirely idle. They teamed up for a podcast, "Strike Force Five," during the strike.
The writers were allowed to return to work last week after the Writers Guild of America reached an agreement on a three-year contract with an alliance of the industry's biggest studios, streaming services and production companies.
Union leaders touted the deal as a clear win on issues including pay, size of staffs and the use of artificial intelligence that made the months off worth it. The writers themselves will vote on the contract in a week of balloting that begins Monday.
Meanwhile, the Screen Actors Guild-American Federation of Television and Radio Artists will begin negotiations with the same group, the Alliance of Motion Picture and Television Producers, for the first time since they joined writers in a historic dual strike on July 14.
Actors walked off the job over many of the same issues as writers, and SAG-AFTRA leaders said they would look closely at the gains and compromises of the WGA's deal, but emphasized that their demands would remain the same as they were when the strike began.
It was just five days after writers and studios resumed talks that a deal was reached and that strike ended, though an attempt to restart negotiations a month earlier broke off after a few meetings.
The late-night shows will have significant limits on their guest lists. Their bread and butter, actors appearing to promote projects, will not be allowed to appear if the movies and shows are for studios that are the subject of the strikes.
But exceptions abound. McConaughey, for example, is appearing with Fallon to promote his children's book, "Just Because."
And SAG-AFTRA has granted interim agreements allowing actors to work on many productions, and with that comes the right of actors to publicly promote them.
Editor's note: Paramount Pictures is one of the studios that was involved in the WGA negotiations and is involved in the SAG-AFTRA talks. Paramount Pictures and CBS News are both part of Paramount Global. Some CBS News staff are SAG-AFTRA members but their contracts are not affected by the that strike.
- In:
- Strike
veryGood! (19)
Related
- A South Texas lawmaker’s 15
- Climate Scientists Take Their Closest Look Yet at the Warming Impact of Aviation Emissions
- Semi-truck driver was actively using TikTok just before fiery Arizona car crash that killed 5, officials say
- Man with weapons and Jan. 6 warrant arrested after running toward Obamas' D.C. home
- Global Warming Set the Stage for Los Angeles Fires
- Read full text of the Supreme Court decision on web designer declining to make LGBTQ wedding websites
- Even With a 50-50 Split, a Biden Administration Senate Could Make Big Strides on Climate
- Education Secretary Miguel Cardona: Affirmative action ruling eliminates a valuable tool for universities
- Warm inflation data keep S&P 500, Dow, Nasdaq under wraps before Fed meeting next week
- As Wildfire Smoke Blots Out the Sun in Northern California, Many Ask: ‘Where Are the Birds?’
Ranking
- How to watch new prequel series 'Dexter: Original Sin': Premiere date, cast, streaming
- Big Banks Make a Dangerous Bet on the World’s Growing Demand for Food
- On the Frontlines of a Warming World, 925 Million Undernourished People
- You'll Love Ariana Grande Harder for Trolling Her Own Makeup Look
- 'No Good Deed': Who's the killer in the Netflix comedy? And will there be a Season 2?
- Biden says Supreme Court's affirmative action decision can't be the last word
- You Might’ve Missed This Euphoria Star’s Cameo on The Idol Premiere
- 19 Father's Day Gift Ideas for Your Husband That He'll Actually Love
Recommendation
'Vanderpump Rules' star DJ James Kennedy arrested on domestic violence charges
House Votes to Block Trump from Using Clean Energy Funds to Back Fossil Fuels Project
4 States Get Over 30 Percent of Power from Wind — and All Lean Republican
Trump Administration Offers Drilling Leases in the Arctic Wildlife Refuge, but No Major Oil Firms Bid
Federal hiring is about to get the Trump treatment
Western Coal Takes Another Hit as Appeals Court Rules Against Export Terminal
Read full text of the Supreme Court decision on web designer declining to make LGBTQ wedding websites
While It Could Have Been Worse, Solar Tariffs May Hit Trump Country Hard