Current:Home > StocksJack White threatens to sue over Trump campaign staffer's use of White Stripes song -Blueprint Money Mastery
Jack White threatens to sue over Trump campaign staffer's use of White Stripes song
Ethermac View
Date:2025-04-06 13:09:15
Another musician is objecting to the Trump campaign's use of their work.
Jack White on Thursday threatened legal action against former President Donald Trump's team after the deputy director of communications for his 2024 presidential campaign allegedly posted a video of Trump boarding a plane to the tune of The White Stripes' iconic 2003 track "Seven Nation Army." The video, which White posted a screen recording of on Instagram, appears to have been taken down.
"President @realDonaldTrump departs for Michigan and Wisconsin!" Margo Martin's X post read, per White's screen recording.
"Oh....Don't even think about using my music you fascists," White wrote in the caption of his post. "Law suit coming from my lawyers about this (to add to your 5 thousand others.) Have a great day at work today Margo Martin."
White also castigated Trump for an altercation between a public affairs official and members of the Trump campaign at Arlington National Cemetery yesterday. Though federal law states political activities are not permitted on cemetery grounds, Trump's team was reportedly photographing and filming at the site.
Need a break? Play the USA TODAY Daily Crossword Puzzle.
He called out the Republican presidential candidate "for insulting our nation's veterans at Arlington you scum. You should lose every military family's vote immediately from that if ANYTHING makes sense anymore."
USA TODAY reached out to the Trump campaign and White's reps for comment.
Who's spoken out?Trump keeps dancing as artists get outraged over use of their songs
Céline Dion, Foo Fighters have also spoken out against Trump campaign
The former White Stripes frontman is the latest in a string of artists who have distanced themselves from Trump's presidential run after his campaign used their music in rallies and videos.
Céline Dion ("My Heart Will Go On"), Foo Fighters ("My Hero"), the estate of Sinéad O'Connor ("Nothing Compares 2 U") and the family of songwriter Isaac Hayes (Sam & Dave's "Hold On, I'm Comin'") are among those who have denounced the use of their work.
Some, but not all, have threatened legal action.
After the Trump campaign played "Hold On, I'm Comin'" at rallies, Hayes' son, Isaac Hayes III, filed a copyright infringement notice, which was issued to Trump and demanded a payment of $3 million in licensing fees.
"Donald Trump epitomizes a lack of integrity and class, not only through his continuous use of my father's music without permission but also through his history of sexual abuse against women and his racist rhetoric," Hayes III wrote on Instagram. "This behavior will no longer be tolerated, and we will take swift action to put an end to it."
The Hayes family's lawyer claims Trump "willfully and brazenly" committed copyright infringement and has continued to use the song "despite being asked repeatedly not to engage in such illegal use" by the family.
After "My Hero" was played at Trump's Arizona rally with Robert F. Kennedy Jr. last week, a representative for the Foo Fighters told USA TODAY the band was not asked for permission, and if they were it would not have been granted. The rock band vowed to donate "any royalties received as a result of this use will be donated" to Democratic candidate Kamala Harris' presidential campaign.
Contributing: Taijuan Moorman
veryGood! (881)
Related
- Rolling Loud 2024: Lineup, how to stream the world's largest hip hop music festival
- Scott Disick Reveals Why His Sex Life Is “Terrible”
- Astros eliminate Twins, head to seventh straight AL Championship Series
- Finnish intelligence says Russia views Finland as a hostile nation due to its NATO membership
- 'We're reborn!' Gazans express joy at returning home to north
- Ex-Barclays Bank boss Staley banned from senior UK finance roles over misleading Epstein statements
- The morgue at Gaza’s biggest hospital is overflowing as Israeli attacks intensify
- Kate Spade Flash Deal: Get This $400 Shoulder Bag for Just $89
- SFO's new sensory room helps neurodivergent travelers fight flying jitters
- IMF and World Bank are urged to boost funding for African nations facing conflict and climate change
Ranking
- EU countries double down on a halt to Syrian asylum claims but will not yet send people back
- Inside the East vs. West rap rivalry that led to the murders of Tupac and Notorious B.I.G. in 1990s
- Former agent of East Germany’s Stasi agency is charged over the 1974 border killing of a Polish man
- 'Dumbest thing ever': Deion Sanders rips late kickoff, thankful Colorado is leaving Pac-12
- Paris Hilton, Nicole Richie return for an 'Encore,' reminisce about 'The Simple Life'
- Joe Jonas Posts Note on Doing the Right Thing After Sophie Turner Agreement
- Teen faces adult murder charge in slaying of Michigan election canvasser
- Blinken meets Hamas attack survivors, pledges US support on trip to Israel
Recommendation
Sarah J. Maas books explained: How to read 'ACOTAR,' 'Throne of Glass' in order.
Long quest for justice in Jacob Wetterling's kidnapping case explored on '20/20'
IMF and World Bank are urged to boost funding for African nations facing conflict and climate change
Climate rules are coming for corporate America
Residents worried after ceiling cracks appear following reroofing works at Jalan Tenaga HDB blocks
Teen faces adult murder charge in slaying of Michigan election canvasser
Miley Cyrus and Boyfriend Maxx Morando Enjoy Rare Public Night Out at His L.A. Concert
New York Powerball players claim $1 million prizes from drawings this summer