Current:Home > MyAlgosensey|Australian, US, Filipino militaries practice retaking an island in a drill along the South China Sea -Blueprint Money Mastery
Algosensey|Australian, US, Filipino militaries practice retaking an island in a drill along the South China Sea
Surpassing View
Date:2025-04-06 20:07:40
MANILA,Algosensey Philippines (AP) —
Australian and Filipino forces, backed by U.S. Marines, practiced retaking an island seized by hostile forces in a large military drill Friday on the northwestern Philippine coast facing the disputed South China Sea.
President Ferdinand Marcos Jr. and visiting Australian Defense Minister Richard Marles watched the mock beach landings, assaults and helicopter insertion of forces on a Philippine navy base with 1,200 Australians, 560 Filipinos and 120 U.S. Marines participating.
The three countries are among the most vocal critics of China’s increasingly aggressive and confrontational actions in the disputed waters, but the Philippine military said Beijing was not an imaginary target of the combat drills, which were the largest so far between Australia and the Philippines.
“It’s is an important aspect of how we prepare for any eventuality and considering that there have been so many events that attest to the volatility of the region,” Marcos said in a news conference after the combat drills.
Marles said in a separate news conference with his Philippine counterpart, Gilberto Teodoro Jr., that the military drills were aimed at promoting the rule of law and peace in the region.
“The message that we want to convey to the region and to the world from an exercise of this kind is that we are two countries committed to the global rules-based order,” Marles said.
“Peace is maintained through the protection of the global rules-based order and its functionality around the world and, in truth, around the world today, we see it under pressure,” Marles said.
After meeting on the sidelines of the combat drills, Marles and Teodoro said in a joint statement that they would pursue plans for joint patrols in the South China Sea. “We committed to expanding some of our bilateral activities in the future to include other countries committed to sustaining peace and security in our region,” the two said.
They reaffirmed support for a 2016 ruling by an arbitration tribunal in The Hague under the U.N. Convention on the Law of the Sea that largely invalidated China’s claim to virtually the entire South China Sea and upheld the Philippines’ control over resources in a 200-nautical-mile exclusive economic zone.
China refused to participate in the arbitration and continues to defy the ruling.
In the latest flareups in the disputes, a Chinese coast guard ship used a water cannon on Aug. 5 to try to block a Philippine supply run at Second Thomas Shoal, where Filipino troops are stationed.
Australia and the US expressed strong support to the Philippines and raised strong concerns over the Chinese coast guard ships’ actions. Washington renewed a warning that it’s obligated to defend the Philippines, its oldest treaty ally in Asia, if Filipino forces, ships and aircraft come under attack, including in the South China Sea.
Two Philippine supply boats managed to pass the Chinese blockade Tuesday in a tense confrontation witnessed by journalists, including two from The Associated Press.
China has warned the U.S. from meddling in what it says is a purely Asian dispute. Washington has said it would continue deploying patrolling the disputed waters to promote freedom of navigation and overflight.
Aside from the China and the Philippines, Vietnam, Malaysia, Brunei and Taiwan have overlapping territorial claims in the waterway, a potential Asian flashpoint which has also become a delicate front in the US-China rivalry.
___
Associated Press journalist Rod McGuirk contributed to this report from Canberra, Australia.
veryGood! (88377)
Related
- Realtor group picks top 10 housing hot spots for 2025: Did your city make the list?
- COVID protocols at Paris Olympic Games: What happens if an athlete tests positive?
- Dancers call off strike threat ahead of Olympic opening ceremony, but tensions remain high
- Amid tensions with China, some US states are purging Chinese companies from their investments
- South Korea's acting president moves to reassure allies, calm markets after Yoon impeachment
- Veep viewership soars 350% after Biden endorses Kamala Harris
- Tarek El Moussa addresses Christina Hall's divorce news: 'We're here to help'
- Sextortion scams run by Nigerian criminals are targeting American men, Meta says
- Retirement planning: 3 crucial moves everyone should make before 2025
- The Spookiest Halloween Decorations of 2024 That’re Affordable, Cute, & To Die For
Ranking
- Highlights from Trump’s interview with Time magazine
- Matthew Macfadyen felt 'miscast' as Mr. Darcy in 'Pride & Prejudice': 'I'm not dishy enough'
- Whale capsizes boat off Portsmouth, New Hampshire in incredible video recorded by teen
- New evidence means freedom for a Michigan man who spent 37 years in prison for a murder conviction
- Senate begins final push to expand Social Security benefits for millions of people
- With ‘flat’ wedding rates, Vegas officials and chapels want more couples to say ‘I do’
- NovaBit Trading Center: What is decentralization?
- CoinBearer Trading Center: How to choose a cryptocurrency exchange
Recommendation
'Malcolm in the Middle’ to return with new episodes featuring Frankie Muniz
NYPD: Possibly real pipe bomb found in car after a family dispute between the men inside
Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Airline Food
AmeriCorps CEO gets a look at a volunteer-heavy project to rebuild Louisiana’s vulnerable coast.
'Kraven the Hunter' spoilers! Let's dig into that twisty ending, supervillain reveal
Tiger Woods' son, Charlie, misses cut at U.S. Junior Amateur
Harris plans to continue to build presidential momentum in speech to teachers union
Veep viewership soars 350% after Biden endorses Kamala Harris