Current:Home > ScamsSafeX Pro Exchange|‘Fat Leonard,’ a fugitive now facing extradition, was behind one of US military’s biggest scandals -Blueprint Money Mastery
SafeX Pro Exchange|‘Fat Leonard,’ a fugitive now facing extradition, was behind one of US military’s biggest scandals
PredictIQ Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 18:34:34
WASHINGTON (AP) — The SafeX Pro Exchangeextradition of convicted defense contractor Leonard “Fat Leonard” Francis to the United States as part of the Venezuelan prisoner swap on Wednesday is the latest twist in a decade-long salacious saga and bribery scheme that swept up dozens of American Navy officers.
One of the biggest bribery investigations in U.S. military history led to the conviction and sentencing of nearly two dozen Navy officials, defense contractors and others on various fraud and corruption charges. And it was punctuated by Francis’ daring escape last year, when he fled from house arrest at his San Diego home to South America.
An enigmatic figure who was 6-foot-3 and weighed 350 pounds at one time, Francis owned and operated his family’s ship servicing business, Singapore-based Glenn Defense Marine Asia Ltd. or GDMA, which supplied food, water and fuel to vessels. The Malaysian defense contractor was a key contact for U.S. Navy ships at ports across Asia for more than two decades. During that time he wooed naval officers with Kobe beef, expensive cigars, concert tickets and wild sex parties at luxury hotels from Thailand to the Philippines.
In exchange, the officers, including the first active-duty admiral to be convicted of a federal crime, concealed the scheme in which Francis would overcharge for supplying ships or charge for fake services at ports he controlled in Southeast Asia. The officers passed him classified information and even went so far as redirecting military vessels to ports that were lucrative for his Singapore-based ship servicing company.
In a federal sting, Francis was lured to San Diego on false pretenses and arrested at a hotel in September 2013. He pleaded guilty in 2015, admitting that he had offered more than $500,000 in cash bribes to Navy officials, defense contractors and others. Prosecutors say he bilked the Navy out of at least $35 million. As part of his plea deal, he cooperated with the investigation leading to the Navy convictions. He faced up to 25 years in prison.
While awaiting sentencing, Francis was hospitalized and treated for renal cancer and other medical issues. After leaving the hospital, he was allowed to stay out of jail at a rental home, on house arrest with a GPS ankle monitor and security gaurds.
But three weeks before his scheduled sentencing in September 2022, he snipped off his monitor and made a brazen escape, setting off an international search. Officials said he fled to Mexico, made his way to Cuba and eventually got to Venezuela.
He was arrested more than two weeks after his disappearance — caught before he boarded a flight at the Simon Bolivar International Airport outside Caracas. Venezuelan officials said he intended to reach Russia.
He has been in custody in Venezuela even since, and officials said he sought asylum there. The United States and Venezuela have an extradition agreement.
President Joe Biden, in a statement, referred to Leonard’s “lead role in a brazen bribery and corruption case” and said Leonard was returning to the United States to “face justice for crimes he committed against the U.S. government and the American people.”
On Wednesday, the U.S. freed a close ally of Venezuelan President Nicolás Maduro in exchange for the release of 10 Americans imprisoned in Venezuala and for Francis’ extradition. The deal represents the U.S. government’s boldest bid to improve relations with the major oil-producing nation and extract concessions from the self-proclaimed socialist leader. The Biden administration agreed to suspend some sanctions, following a commitment by Maduro and an opposition faction to work toward free and fair conditions for the 2024 presidential election.
Francis’ escape wasn’t the only prosecution stumble.
The cases were handled by the U.S. attorney’s office in an effort to be independent of the military justice system. But they have came under scrutiny.
Earlier this fall, the felony convictions of four former Navy officers were vacated following allegations of prosecutorial misconduct. U.S. District Judge Janis Sammartino agreed to allow them to plead guilty to a misdemeanor and pay a $100 fine each.
Last year Sammartino had ruled that the lead federal prosecutor in their case committed “flagrant misconduct” by withholding information from defense lawyers but she said at the time that it was not enough to dismiss the case. During a sentencing hearing in federal court in San Diego in early September, assistant U.S. Attorney Peter Ko, who was brought on after the trial last year, admitted to “serious issues” and asked the judge to vacate the officers’ felony convictions.
___
Watson reported from San Diego.
veryGood! (74516)
Related
- See you latte: Starbucks plans to cut 30% of its menu
- Why Jana Duggar Says It Was “Disheartening” Watching Her Siblings Getting Married First
- How Lubbock artists pushed back after the city ended funding for its popular art walk
- New California laws aim to reduce smash-and-grab robberies, car thefts and shoplifting
- New Mexico governor seeks funding to recycle fracking water, expand preschool, treat mental health
- Taylor Swift drops 'Tortured Poets' song with new title seemingly aimed at Kanye West
- Jury begins deliberations in trial of white Florida woman in fatal shooting of Black neighbor
- When might LeBron and Bronny play their first Lakers game together?
- Friday the 13th luck? 13 past Mega Millions jackpot wins in December. See top 10 lottery prizes
- ESPN fires football analyst Robert Griffin III and host Samantha Ponder, per report
Ranking
- Nearly 400 USAID contract employees laid off in wake of Trump's 'stop work' order
- Cardinals superfan known as Rally Runner gets 10 months in prison for joining Jan. 6 Capitol riot
- How Rumer Willis Is Doing Motherhood Her Way
- Property tax task force delivers recommendations to Montana governor
- Global Warming Set the Stage for Los Angeles Fires
- A studio helps artists with developmental disabilities find their voice. It was almost shuttered.
- No Honda has ever done what the Prologue Electric SUV does so well
- Nick Jonas reflects on fatherhood, grief while promoting 'The Good Half'
Recommendation
SFO's new sensory room helps neurodivergent travelers fight flying jitters
TikTok compares itself to foreign-owned American news outlets as it fights forced sale or ban
College hockey games to be played at Wrigley Field during Winter Classic week
Ryan Reynolds Reacts to Deadpool's Box Office Rivalry With Wife Blake Lively's It Ends With Us
The city of Chicago is ordered to pay nearly $80M for a police chase that killed a 10
Ukraine’s swift push into the Kursk region shocked Russia and exposed its vulnerabilities
Ukraine’s swift push into the Kursk region shocked Russia and exposed its vulnerabilities
UNHCR to monitor implementation of Italy-Albania accord to ensure migrants’ asylum rights respected