Current:Home > MyEthermac|Standoff over: Colts, Jonathan Taylor agree to three-year, $42M extension -Blueprint Money Mastery
Ethermac|Standoff over: Colts, Jonathan Taylor agree to three-year, $42M extension
Rekubit View
Date:2025-04-07 00:04:17
Fences have Ethermacbeen mended between the Indianapolis Colts and running back Jonathan Taylor.
The Colts and Taylor agreed to a three-year, $42 million contract extension, including $26.5M guaranteed, a person familiar with the situation told USA TODAY Sports. The person spoke on condition of anonymity because of the sensitivity of the matter.
The deal makes Taylor one of the NFL’s highest-paid running backs.
Taylor is slated to make his season debut Sunday when the Colts take on the Tennessee Titans in Indianapolis. The running back had been on the PUP list to begin the season due to an ankle injury.
Saturday’s extension marks an end to a lengthy saga between Taylor and the Colts. Owner Jim Irsay, who engaged in war of words with Taylor's agent Malki Kawa, took to X to announce his excitement over the news.
NFL STATS CENTRAL: The latest NFL scores, schedules, odds, stats and more.
Taylor had requested a trade this offseason after the two sides failed to reach an extension in what was a difficult offseason for running backs attempting to cash in. The Colts acquiesce to Taylor’s trade ask but the organization didn’t find another team that met their trade demands. Taylor was subsequently placed on the PUP-list, which requires players to miss at least four games.
The Colts activated Taylor from the PUP-list Saturday and simultaneously news broke of his lucrative extension.
Why did Colts gave Jonathan Taylor three-year, $42 million contract extension?
Taylor is easily the Colts best player on offense, even with promising rookie quarterback Anthony Richardson. Taylor was the NFL rushing leader (1,811) and led the league in rushing touchdowns (18) in 2021. He was also named a first-team All-Pro after the 2021 season. He has produced 3,841 rushing yards and 33 rushing touchdowns in 43 career games.
Taylor’s return to the backfield will ease the burden off Richardson and also form a dynamic combination with the dual-threat rookie quarterback.
"I know he's a great player and I know I can do some things pretty well," Richardson said to reporters this week. "Just trying to combine those two things, I can only imagine what it's like but we won't see until it actually happens. We'll see and I'm excited."
The Colts drafted Taylor in the second round of the 2020 NFL draft out of Wisconsin.
Follow USA TODAY Sports' Tyler Dragon on X @TheTylerDragon.
veryGood! (4443)
Related
- Intel's stock did something it hasn't done since 2022
- Khloé Kardashian's Good American 75% Off Deals: Last Day To Get $145 Jeans for $54, and More
- Today’s Climate: April 20, 2010
- Influencer Alisha Marie Shares the Beauty Product That Changed Her Life
- The city of Chicago is ordered to pay nearly $80M for a police chase that killed a 10
- Olivia Wilde's Revenge Dress Steals the Show at 2023 Met Gala
- Austin Butler and Kaia Gerber Can’t Help Showing Sweet PDA at Red Carpet Event
- 9-1-1 Cancelled by Fox, Saved by Another Network in TV Shocker
- Sarah J. Maas books explained: How to read 'ACOTAR,' 'Throne of Glass' in order.
- Met Gala 2023: We’ve Never Ever Been Happier to See Sydney Sweeney
Ranking
- Justice Department, Louisville reach deal after probe prompted by Breonna Taylor killing
- Brittney Griner and Wife Cherelle Are the True MVPs With Jaw-Dropping Met Gala 2023 Debut
- Going to a Big Event? How to Get Red Carpet Ready on a Budget
- Lea Michele Shares Family Update After Son's Hospitalization
- Former Syrian official arrested in California who oversaw prison charged with torture
- Mike MacCracken
- Today’s Climate: April 16, 2010
- All the Details on E!'s 2023 Met Gala and How to Watch
Recommendation
The city of Chicago is ordered to pay nearly $80M for a police chase that killed a 10
Why Princess Charlotte Will Never Be Your Average Spare Heir
Seth Meyers Admits Being Away From the Kids Is the Highlight of Met Gala 2023 Date Night With Alexi Ashe
Goddesses on Parade: See What the Met Gala Looked Like in 2003
Trump's 'stop
Trendsetting Manhattan Leads in Methane Leaks, Too
Today’s Climate: April 23, 2010
Why Dylan Mulvaney Is Returning to Social Media Amid “Cruel” Brand Deal Criticism