Current:Home > StocksNordstrom family offers to take department store private for $3.76 billion with Mexican retail group -Blueprint Money Mastery
Nordstrom family offers to take department store private for $3.76 billion with Mexican retail group
Chainkeen Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 14:08:07
NEW YORK (AP) — Members of the Nordstrom family with the help of a Mexican retail group are offering to take the century-old department store private for $3.76 billion per share cash, months after first expressing interest in a buyout.
In a letter to the board of directors dated Tuesday, Erik Nordstrom said the Nordstrom family members own about 33.4% of the company’s outstanding common stock and is willing to pay investors $23 for each share they own.
The Mexican retail group, called El Puerto de Liverpool, operates more than 300 stores in Mexico and is that nation’s third-largest credit card issuer with over 7.2 million active accounts. It already owns approximately 9.6% of Nordstrom stock.
The offer represents a premium of nearly 35% to Nordstrom’s stock since March 18 when media reports about the proposed transaction first emerged.
The letter states that the group has commitments for $250 million in new bank financing.
Erik B. and Peter E. Nordstrom are the fourth-generation leaders of the retailer, which was founded in 1901 as a shoe store. Erik is the company’s chief executive and Peter is president. In the regulatory filing the family cited the health of their late father Bruce Nordstrom as one impetus behind the proposed transaction. Former chairman Bruce Nordstrom died in May at 90 years old.
Nordstrom, based in Seattle, acknowledged receipt of the proposal and a special committee of the board of directors — which it had already formed in April — will evaluate the offer.
Shares of Nordstrom, up 27% this year, edged down 33 cents to $22.49 before the opening bell Wednesday.
veryGood! (9555)
Related
- McConnell absent from Senate on Thursday as he recovers from fall in Capitol
- Stock market today: Asian shares are mixed ahead of the Fed’s decision on interest rates
- Dead, 52-foot-long fin whale washes up at a San Diego beach, investigation underway
- Amid outcry over Gaza tactics, videos of soldiers acting maliciously create new headache for Israel
- Rolling Loud 2024: Lineup, how to stream the world's largest hip hop music festival
- Bear! Skier narrowly escapes crashing into bear on Tahoe slope: Watch video
- Former Iowa police officer sentenced to 15 years for exploiting teen in ride-along program
- Two indicted in Maine cold case killing solved after 15 years, police say
- What to know about Tuesday’s US House primaries to replace Matt Gaetz and Mike Waltz
- Russian man who flew on Los Angeles flight without passport or ticket charged with federal crime
Ranking
- Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
- Hilary Duff’s Cheaper By the Dozen Costar Alyson Stoner Has Heartwarming Reaction to Her Pregnancy
- Zara says it regrets ad that critics said resembled images from Gaza
- For The Eras Tour, Taylor Swift takes a lucrative and satisfying victory lap
- EU countries double down on a halt to Syrian asylum claims but will not yet send people back
- 2023 in other words: AI might be the term of the year, but consider these far-flung contenders
- Why are there NFL games on Saturday? How to watch Saturday's slate of games.
- Jennifer Aniston says she was texting with Matthew Perry the morning of his death: He was happy
Recommendation
Nearly 400 USAID contract employees laid off in wake of Trump's 'stop work' order
AT&T Stadium employee accused of letting ticketless fans into Cowboys-Eagles game for cash
North Korean and Russian officials discuss economic ties as Seoul raises labor export concerns
Southern California school janitor who spent years in jail acquitted of child sexual abuse
Selena Gomez's "Weird Uncles" Steve Martin and Martin Short React to Her Engagement
Inflation eased in November as gas prices fell
Are Ye and Ty Dolla $ign releasing their 'Vultures' album? What to know amid controversy
USWNT received greatest amount of online abuse during 2023 World Cup, per FIFA report