Current:Home > MyItaly bans loans of works to Minneapolis museum in a dispute over ancient marble statue -Blueprint Money Mastery
Italy bans loans of works to Minneapolis museum in a dispute over ancient marble statue
Ethermac View
Date:2025-04-06 14:10:53
Italy's Culture Ministry has banned loans of works to the Minneapolis Institute of Art, following a dispute with the U.S. museum over an ancient marble statue believed to have been looted from Italy almost a half-century ago.
The dispute began in March 2022 when an Italian court ruled that the Minneapolis museum was irregularly in possession of the Stabiae Doriforo, a Roman-era copy of The Doryphoros of Polykleitos, an ancient Greek sculpture.
Rome claims that the sculpture was looted in the 1970s from an archaeological site at Stabiae, an ancient city close to Pompeii that was also covered by lava and ashes when Mount Vesuvius erupted in A.D. 79.
Massimo Osanna, director general of national museums for Italy's Ministry of Culture, confirmed the ban in a statement given to WCCO on Thursday.
"The situation for us is very clear: the statue was excavated illegally in Italy and illegally left our territory," Osanna said. "Until the Doryphoros will be returned, there will be no further cooperation from our entire national museum system with the museum in Minneapolis."
In February 2022, Italian prosecutors issued an international warrant for the artwork to be impounded and returned. At a news conference earlier this year, Nunzio Fragliasso, chief prosecutor at the Torre Annunziata court, said they were "still awaiting a response."
In 1984, while the work was on display in a German museum, Italy initiated a legal proceeding to claim it. The claim was denied in 1986. The U.S. museum, which bought the statue in 1986 for $2.5 million, said it was purchased from art dealer Elie Borowski and imported into the United States.
"Since that time, the work has been publicly displayed and extensively published," the Minneapolis museum said in a statement. "While it takes issue with recent press reports regarding the Doryphoros, Mia (the museum) believes that the media is not an appropriate forum to address unproven allegations."
The museum asserted that it has always acted "responsibly and proactively" with respect to claims related to its collection. However, it added, "where proof has not been provided, as well as where Mia has evidence reasonably demonstrating that a claim is not supported, Mia has declined to transfer the work."
The museum called Italy's new ban on loans "contrary to decades of exchanges between museums."
The Minnesota Institute of Art originally opened its doors in 1915. The museum expanded in 1974 and 2006.
There are more than 89,000 objects held in the museum.
- In:
- Rome
- Italy
- Politics
- Entertainment
- Minneapolis
veryGood! (99995)
Related
- 'Survivor' 47 finale, part one recap: 2 players were sent home. Who's left in the game?
- Mountain Dew VooDew 2024: What is the soft drink's Halloween mystery flavor?
- Advocates in Georgia face barriers getting people who were formerly incarcerated to vote
- Wisconsin dams are failing more frequently, a new report finds
- A South Texas lawmaker’s 15
- Brown rejects calls to divest from companies in connection with pro-Palestinian protests on campus
- Lupita Nyong'o Confirms Joshua Jackson Breakup
- Sum 41's Deryck Whibley alleges sex abuse by ex-manager: Biggest revelations from memoir
- Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
- Fantasy football Start ‘Em, Sit ‘Em: 16 players to start or sit in Week 6
Ranking
- Gen. Mark Milley's security detail and security clearance revoked, Pentagon says
- Pitching chaos? No, Detroit Tigers delivering playoff chaos in ALDS
- 'Super/Man' Christopher Reeve's kids on his tragic accident's 'silver lining'
- Phaedra Parks Slams “Ding-a-Ling” Gene Simmons Over Dancing With the Stars Low Score
- South Korea's acting president moves to reassure allies, calm markets after Yoon impeachment
- Hurricane Milton hitting near the sixth anniversary of Hurricane Michael
- Garth Brooks Says Rape Accuser Wanted to Blackmail Him for Millions Amid Allegations
- Big Ten clash between Ohio State and Oregon leads college football Week 7 predictions for Top 25 games
Recommendation
Selena Gomez engaged to Benny Blanco after 1 year together: 'Forever begins now'
Climate solution: Form Energy secures $405M to speed development of long-awaited 100-hour battery
Ethel Kennedy, social activist and widow of Robert F Kennedy, has died
North Carolinians Eric Church, Luke Combs on hurricane relief concert: 'Going to be emotional'
Why we love Bear Pond Books, a ski town bookstore with a French bulldog 'Staff Pup'
Florida picking up the pieces after Milton: 6 dead, 3.4M in dark. Live updates
North Carolinians Eric Church, Luke Combs on hurricane relief concert: 'Going to be emotional'
This Under Eye Mask Is Like an Energy Drink for Your Skin and It’s 46% Off on Prime Day