Current:Home > reviewsPaula Abdul sues Nigel Lythgoe, alleges he sexually assaulted her during 'Idol,' 'SYTYCD' -Blueprint Money Mastery
Paula Abdul sues Nigel Lythgoe, alleges he sexually assaulted her during 'Idol,' 'SYTYCD'
TrendPulse View
Date:2025-04-06 22:24:37
Paula Abdul has filed suit against former “American Idol” and “So You Think You Can Dance” producer Nigel Lythgoe for sexual assault.
In a lawsuit filed Friday in Los Angeles and reported by news outlets including Variety and Rolling Stone, Abdul alleges that Lythgoe sexually assaulted her during one of the “initial seasons” of “Idol,” on which she served as a judge for eight seasons starting in 2002 and again in 2014 when she was hosting “SYTYCD.”
In a statement to USA TODAY on Saturday, the producer denied the allegations and said he was "shocked and saddened."
"Not only are (the claims) false, they are deeply offensive to me and to everything I stand for," Lythgoe said. "While Paula’s history of erratic behavior is well known, I can’t pretend to understand exactly why she would file a lawsuit that she must know is untrue. But I can promise that I will fight this appalling smear with everything I have.”
In a statement, Abdul's lawyer Douglas Johnson praised Abdul for her decision to come forward.
“Ms. Abdul knows that she stands both in the shoes and on the shoulders of many other similarly situated survivors, and she is determined to see that justice is done,” Johnson said.
Adult Survivors Act:Why so many sexual assault lawsuits have been filed under New York law
According to the suit, Lythgoe allegedly “shoved Abdul against the wall, then grabbed her genitals and breasts, and began shoving his tongue down her throat. Abdul attempted to push Lythgoe away from her. When the doors to the elevator for her door opened, Abdul ran out of the elevator and to her hotel room. Abdul quickly called one of her representatives in tears to inform them of the assault.”
Years later, Abdul, 61, accepted a dinner invitation from Lythgoe, 74, at his home, believing it to be a “professional invitation.”
The suit claims that “toward the end of the evening, Lythgoe forced himself on top of Abdul while she was seated on his couch and attempted to kiss her while proclaiming that the two would make an excellent ‘power couple.' Abdul pushed Lythgoe off of her, explaining that she was not interested in his advances and immediately left.”
Abdul had signed a non-disclosure agreement as part of her employment on both shows which prevented her from publicly disclosing “sensitive information.”
She says in the suit that she opted not to talk about the allegations because she feared retaliation from Lythgoe. Abdul also says that Lythgoe once called to taunt her that it had been “seven years and the statute of limitations had run” on her window to file a lawsuit.
But California’s Sexual Abuse and Cover-Up Accountability Act created a one-year opening to file certain sexual abuse lawsuits that would otherwise be outside the statute of limitations. The deadline to file is Dec. 31.
In addition to Lythgoe, the suit names companies American Idol Productions, Dance Nation Productions, 19 Entertainment and Fremantlemedia North America as defendants.
Lythgoe produced “American Idol” from 2002 to 2014 and “SYTYCD” from 2005-2014. Abdul, who had a thriving music and dance career in the ‘80s and ‘90s with hits including “Forever Your Girl” and “Straight Up,” has also appeared as a judge on reality shows including “The Masked Dancer” and “Dancing with the Stars.”
Contributing: Kim Willis
New lawsuit:Vin Diesel accused of sexual battery by former assistant
veryGood! (84)
Related
- Warm inflation data keep S&P 500, Dow, Nasdaq under wraps before Fed meeting next week
- NASA launching Psyche mission to explore metallic asteroid: How to watch the cosmic quest
- Ex-NFL player Sergio Brown arrested in Southern California in connection to mother’s slaying
- Ex-NFL player Sergio Brown in custody on first-degree murder charge in mother's slaying
- Buckingham Palace staff under investigation for 'bar brawl'
- King Charles III to travel to Kenya for state visit full of symbolism
- Morgan State University plans to build wall around campus after homecoming week shooting
- Entrance to Baltimore Washington International Airport closed due to law enforcement investigation
- Federal Spending Freeze Could Have Widespread Impact on Environment, Emergency Management
- Bipartisan resolution to support Israel has over 400 co-sponsors: Texas congressman
Ranking
- Stamford Road collision sends motorcyclist flying; driver arrested
- Anti-abortion activist called 'pro-life Spiderman' is arrested climbing Chicago's Accenture Tower
- The number of US citizens killed in the Israel-Hamas war rises to 22
- Finland police investigate undersea gas pipeline leak as possible sabotage
- Biden administration makes final diplomatic push for stability across a turbulent Mideast
- Lidia dissipates after killing 1, injuring 2 near Mexico resort, Atlantic sees Tropical Storm Sean
- Climate activist Greta Thunberg fined again for a climate protest in Sweden
- Immense sadness: Sacramento Jewish, Palestinian community members process conflict in Middle East
Recommendation
Are Instagram, Facebook and WhatsApp down? Meta says most issues resolved after outages
Coast Guard recovers presumed human remains and debris from Titan sub implosion
Democratic challenger raises more campaign cash than GOP incumbent in Mississippi governor’s race
Man who found bag of cash, claimed finders-keepers, pays back town, criminal charge dropped
Tree trimmer dead after getting caught in wood chipper at Florida town hall
Pray or move? Survey shows Americans who think their homes are haunted and took action
Oklahoma man who spent 30 years in prison for rape is exonerated after DNA testing: I have never lost hope
Kari Lake announces Arizona Senate run