Current:Home > InvestTradeEdge Exchange:$15M settlement reached with families of 3 killed in Michigan State shooting -Blueprint Money Mastery
TradeEdge Exchange:$15M settlement reached with families of 3 killed in Michigan State shooting
Rekubit Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 13:15:07
EAST LANSING,TradeEdge Exchange Mich. — Michigan State University's board of trustees has approved a $15 million settlement with the families of three students who were killed during a mass shooting on campus earlier this year.
The board announced Friday it unanimously voted on the agreements with the families of sophomores Arielle Anderson and Brian Fraser, and junior Alexandria Verner. MSU did not disclose the terms of the settlement but attorneys for the families confirmed the settlement.
Attorney Ven Johnson, who represents the Anderson and Fraser families, said the university agreed to pay a combined $15 million to the families. Each family will receive $5 million, according to Johnson.
"While no amount of compensation can ever replace the loss of a life, we do hope this brings some closure, support and relief to these impacted families," Trustee Dan Kelly said during Friday's board meeting. "The university gives its deepest condolences to each of the three families, and we are committed to ensuring the memory of their child is not forgotten in the Spartan community."
Anderson, Fraser and Verner were fatally shot on Feb. 13 when a gunman opened fire at Berkey Hall and the MSU Union, a popular hub to eat or study. Five other students were wounded in the attack.
The shooter was identified as 43-year-old Anthony Dwayne McRae, who authorities said had once been on probation for a previous gun violation and had a history of mental health struggles. McRae was shot and killed after being confronted by police miles from campus.
Authorities have said McRae had no connection to the university or the victims. In April, authorities announced they found no conclusive motive for the mass shooting.
'Shots and then screaming':In 911 calls, panicked students say they were stuck in rooms amid Las Vegas campus shooting
Family says settlement will continue Alexandria Verner's legacy
David Femminineo, an attorney for the Verner family, announced the agreement Friday and noted the settlement will allow the family to increase Alexandria's scholarship fund and continue her legacy.
“The Verner Family will make it their life’s work to make sure that the legacy of Alex Verner will never be forgotten and that her legacy will act as a lightening rod for change to prevent this from ever happening again," Femminineo said in a statement on social media.
Femminineo added in a news release the Verner family "did not seek to blame MSU for the death of their daughter" but instead, "sought answers as to how this could be prevented in the future.”
Court filing cited 'dangerous' conditions on MSU campus
In a court filing earlier this year that could have led to litigation against MSU, Femminineo cited several factors that created "dangerous or defective" conditions on campus.
The university lacked armed security at Berkey Hall and the MSU Union, as well as metal detectors or security stations to check for weapons, according to the filing. Emergency alerts sent out about the shooting also were delayed or inefficient, and access to buildings were not secured.
Since the incident, several victims who survived the shooting filed notices of intent to sue MSU. Kelly said the university “remains committed to enhancing safety on campus and providing mental health support to our community as we continue to heal.”
Contributing: Sheldon Krause, Lansing State Journal; The Associated Press
Contact Sarah Atwood at [email protected], or follow her on X (formerly Twitter) @sarahmatwood
veryGood! (9)
Related
- Brianna LaPaglia Reveals The Meaning Behind Her "Chickenfry" Nickname
- What it was like in the courtroom as Trump's guilty verdict was read
- Lenny Kravitz Reveals He's Celibate Nearly a Decade After Last Serious Relationship
- Drake has his own solo song on Camila Cabello's new album without her: Here's why
- US wholesale inflation accelerated in November in sign that some price pressures remain elevated
- Minneapolis teen sentenced to more than 30 years in fatal shooting at Mall of America
- Search resumes for mom, National Guard sergeant who vanished tubing in South Carolina
- Video shows man with suspended license Zoom into Michigan court hearing while driving
- Jorge Ramos reveals his final day with 'Noticiero Univision': 'It's been quite a ride'
- Report: Dolphins to sign WR Jaylen Waddle to three-year, $84.75 million contract extension
Ranking
- Small twin
- Answers to your questions about Donald Trump’s historic hush money trial conviction
- Historic Saratoga takes its place at center of horse racing world when Belmont Stakes comes to town
- Are Beyoncé, Taylor Swift, Ariana Grande, Kylie Jenner all in a new Alexander Wang ad?
- Warm inflation data keep S&P 500, Dow, Nasdaq under wraps before Fed meeting next week
- Larry Bird Museum officially opens in Terre Haute
- The Best Linen Staples for an Easy, Breezy, Beautiful Summer
- 12-year-old Bruhat Soma wins 96th Scripps National Spelling Bee in spell-off
Recommendation
The company planning a successor to Concorde makes its first supersonic test
Air National Guard unit that was suspended after classified documents leak will restart mission
Home on the range: inside buffalo restoration on the Wind River Indian Reservation
Google makes fixes to AI-generated search summaries after outlandish answers went viral
Pressure on a veteran and senator shows what’s next for those who oppose Trump
Mets pitcher Jorge Lopez blasts media for igniting postgame controversy
Cleveland father found guilty of murder for shoving baby wipe down 13-week-old son's throat
Teen dies from accidental drowning at Orlando marine-themed park, officials say