Current:Home > reviewsSpain identifies 212 German, Austrian and Dutch fighters who went missing during Spanish Civil War -Blueprint Money Mastery
Spain identifies 212 German, Austrian and Dutch fighters who went missing during Spanish Civil War
Surpassing View
Date:2025-04-05 23:21:19
BARCELONA, Spain (AP) — Spanish government researchers said Sunday they had identified 357 foreign fighters who went missing during the Spanish Civil War (1936-1939), the conflict that foreshadowed World War II.
Researchers confirmed the names of 212 fighters from Germany, Austria and the Netherlands, according to a statement from the government Sunday. Some 102 are of German origin, 70 Austrian and 40 Dutch. It gave no information on how many people of other nationalities had been identified.
The identified combatants fought within the International Brigades, military units set up by the Communist International to fight against General Francisco Franco’s fascist forces. Some 40,000 foreign men and women joined up as volunteers, fighting alongside the forces of the democratic Second Spanish Republic and against the rise of fascism in Europe in late 1930s.
The findings are based on a year of research in records held in documentary archives in Spain and Russia. Researchers combed through the daily lists of casualties and missing soldiers compiled by officers in the International Brigades.
The names of private soldiers were frequently omitted from the lists, making the research process more difficult. These lists are held in the Russian State Archive of Socio-Political History, in Moscow. Researchers also dipped into the main archives on the Spanish Civil War located in Spain.
By cross-referencing documents, researchers were also able to identify the likely area where the soldiers died or were badly wounded. It is an important step toward locating their remains inside mass graves scattered across the country.
This research provides “very valuable information that gives us the opportunity to contact the families of the missing combatants and, in the future, to intervene in the mass graves that have been located,” said Alfons Aragoneses, head of the project.
All those identified were part of the Thälmann Brigade, a Communist unit made up largely of anti-Nazi Germans. The battalion was active on the Ebro River front in northeastern Spain between March and September 1938, the site of the longest and deadliest battle of the war.
The research is ongoing and it is funded by Catalan regional government, with the aim of contributing to the country’s historical memory. The second phase of the project will try to identify missing militiamen from Great Britain, Ireland, Canada and the United States. The final step would require opening the graves in search of bodies.
Historians estimate nearly 10,000 foreign volunteers died in combat on Spanish soil during the war. How many are still unidentified, buried inside graves, remains unknown.
The Spanish Civil War served as a testing ground for Hitler’s Germany and Mussolini’s Italy prior to World War II. This triggered an international outcry to try to save the Republic’s democratic government, which eventually succumbed to Franco in 1939.
veryGood! (21526)
Related
- Scoot flight from Singapore to Wuhan turns back after 'technical issue' detected
- Toilet paper and flat tires — the strange ways that Californians ignite wildfires
- Italian gymnast Giorgia Villa goes viral during Olympics for brand deal with cheese
- Treat Yourself to These Luxury Beauty Products That Are Totally Worth the Splurge
- 'Malcolm in the Middle’ to return with new episodes featuring Frankie Muniz
- 2024 Olympics: British Swimmer Luke Greenbank Disqualified for Breaking Surprising Rule
- Judge hears NFL’s motion in ‘Sunday Ticket’ case, says jury did not follow instructions on damages
- Michigan Supreme Court restores minimum wage and sick leave laws reversed by Republicans years ago
- Intellectuals vs. The Internet
- Judge hears NFL’s motion in ‘Sunday Ticket’ case, says jury did not follow instructions on damages
Ranking
- Questlove charts 50 years of SNL musical hits (and misses)
- Vermont gets respite from flood warnings as US senator pushes for disaster aid package
- PHOTO COLLECTION: Tensions rise in Venezuela after Sunday’s presidential election - July 30, 2024
- Donald Trump falsely suggests Kamala Harris misled voters about her race
- Federal hiring is about to get the Trump treatment
- 'The Sims' added a polyamory option. I tried it out.
- Lady Gaga's Olympics opening ceremony number was prerecorded 'for safety reasons'
- Britney Spears' Ex Sam Asghari Shares What He Learned From Their Marriage
Recommendation
New data highlights 'achievement gap' for students in the US
Inmate set for sentencing in prison killing of Boston gangster James ‘Whitey’ Bulger
2024 Olympics: British Swimmer Luke Greenbank Disqualified for Breaking Surprising Rule
'Black Swan murder trial' verdict: Ashley Benefield found guilty of manslaughter
Who are the most valuable sports franchises? Forbes releases new list of top 50 teams
Ryan Reynolds Says He Just Learned Blake Lively's Real Last Name
Judge hears NFL’s motion in ‘Sunday Ticket’ case, says jury did not follow instructions on damages
US road safety agency will look into fatal crash near Seattle involving Tesla using automated system