Current:Home > InvestTradeEdge Exchange:An independent inquiry opens into the alleged unlawful killings by UK special forces in Afghanistan -Blueprint Money Mastery
TradeEdge Exchange:An independent inquiry opens into the alleged unlawful killings by UK special forces in Afghanistan
TradeEdge View
Date:2025-04-06 17:10:53
LONDON (AP) — An independent inquiry opened Monday to examine claims that British special forces murdered dozens of Afghan men during counterinsurgency operations in Afghanistan a decade ago,TradeEdge Exchange as well as allegations that authorities subsequently covered up the alleged illegal activity or failed to investigate it properly.
The inquiry, which opened at the Royal Courts of Justice in London, focuses on alleged unlawful killings that took place during night raids carried out by elite military units in the war-torn nation between 2010 and 2013.
Families of those killed say they were innocent and unarmed civilians, and called on the inquiry to unearth the truth. In one case, family members allege that nine men were shot in their beds during a raid. The British military has said that soldiers were acting in self-defense.
The investigation is expected to hear submissions on behalf of the families of 33 people, including eight children, who were allegedly killed by special forces.
“Let there be no misunderstanding for those who have something to hide –- the inquiry will use all its powers to make sure that if there is credible information of wrongdoing … no matter how senior their position, they are referred to the relevant authorities,” lawyer Oliver Glasgow told the inquiry Monday.
Glasgow cited email exchanges between senior military officers that suggested multiple concerns were raised within the military at the time about the number of casualties.
One such email said “there appears to be a casual disregard for life,” while others discussed the disproportionate number of enemy dead compared to the number of weapons recovered.
The inquiry was ordered after some families launched legal challenges against the U.K. government.
It will scrutinize two previous investigations by the Royal Military Police into allegations of wrongdoing by U.K. armed forces in Afghanistan, which closed with no prosecutions.
When the BBC aired details about the alleged unlawful killings in an investigative program last year, the Ministry of Defense cited the lack of evidence in the two earlier inquiries and claimed it was “irresponsible and incorrect” to report the allegations.
British forces were deployed to Afghanistan since 2001 as part of a NATO-led international coalition after the Sept. 11 attacks. Thousands of British troops were sent to Helmand from 2006 to help with providing security for reconstruction projects, but they were soon drawn into combat operations.
The last U.K. forces and their NATO allies withdrew from Afghanistan in 2021 after a nearly two-decade campaign.
veryGood! (716)
Related
- Brianna LaPaglia Reveals The Meaning Behind Her "Chickenfry" Nickname
- Texas’ Brazos River, Captive and Contaminated
- Cleveland Browns star DE Myles Garrett leaves practice early with foot injury
- Where the 2024 Republican presidential candidates stand on abortion
- Trump suggestion that Egypt, Jordan absorb Palestinians from Gaza draws rejections, confusion
- Pamper Yourself With $118 Worth of Peter Thomas Roth Face Masks for Just $45
- Pennsylvania county says house that exploded was having ‘hot water tank issues’
- Thinking of consignment selling? Here's how to maximize your time and money.
- Could Bill Belichick, Robert Kraft reunite? Maybe in Pro Football Hall of Fame's 2026 class
- Homeowners were having issues with hot water tank before deadly blast in Pennsylvania, officials say
Ranking
- Jorge Ramos reveals his final day with 'Noticiero Univision': 'It's been quite a ride'
- Family questions fatal police shooting of man after chase in Connecticut
- A comedian released this parody Eurodance song — and ignited an internet storm
- Why Jennifer Lopez's Filter-Free Skincare Video Is Dividing the Internet
- Who are the most valuable sports franchises? Forbes releases new list of top 50 teams
- Everything to Know About The Blind Side's Tuohy Family Amid Michael Oher's Lawsuit
- Facial recognition? How about tail recognition? Identifying individual humpback whales online
- Lionel Richie 'bummed' about postponed New York concert, fans react
Recommendation
In ‘Nickel Boys,’ striving for a new way to see
Racketeering allegation among charges against Trump in Georgia. Follow live updates
Kentucky’s GOP candidate for governor unveiled his education plan. Tutoring is a big part of it
Tuohy Family Lawyer Slams The Blind Side Subject Michael Oher's Lawsuit as Shakedown Effort
Trump suggestion that Egypt, Jordan absorb Palestinians from Gaza draws rejections, confusion
West Virginia Public Broadcasting chief steps down in latest shakeup at news outlet
Abducted U.N. workers free after 18 months in Yemen
The Bold Type's Katie Stevens Details Suffering Panic Attacks During Postpartum Depression Journey