Current:Home > NewsBomb and death threats prompt major Muslim group to move annual banquet -Blueprint Money Mastery
Bomb and death threats prompt major Muslim group to move annual banquet
TradeEdge View
Date:2025-04-06 14:11:09
Arlington, Va. — A national Muslim civil rights group said Thursday it is moving its annual banquet out of a Virginia hotel that received bomb and death threats possibly linked to the group's concern for Palestinians caught in the Israel-Hamas war.
The Council on American-Islamic Relations, or CAIR, canceled plans to hold its 29th annual banquet on Saturday at the Marriott Crystal Gateway in Arlington, just across the Potomac River from Washington, D.C. The group, which has used the hotel for a decade, will imove the banquet to an undisclosed location with heightened security, the group's statement said.
"In recent days, according to the Marriott, anonymous callers have threatened to plant bombs in the hotel's parking garage, kill specific hotel staff in their homes, and storm the hotel in a repeat of the Jan. 6th attack on the U.S. Capitol if the events moved forward," the statement said.
Arlington police said in an email that the department was investigating a Thursday morning report from the hotel that it received anonymous phone calls, "some referencing threats to bomb," regarding the CAIR event.
Emails seeking comment from the FBI, which CAIR said also is investigating, and the Marriott hotel chain were not immediately answered late Thursday night.
A separate banquet planned for Oct. 28 in Maryland also was cancelled and will be merged with Saturday's event, CAIR said.
The threats came after CAIR updated banquet programming to focus on human rights issues for Palestinians. The group has started an online campaign urging members of Congress to promote a ceasefire in Gaza.
"We strongly condemn the extreme and disgusting threats against our organization, the Marriott hotel and its staff," CAIR National Executive Director Nihad Awad, who is Palestinian American, said in a statement. "We will not allow the threats of anti-Palestinian racists and anti-Muslim bigots who seek to dehumanize the Palestinian people and silence American Muslims to stop us from pursuing justice for all."
Hamas militants from the blockaded Gaza Strip stormed into nearby Israeli towns on Oct. 7, which coincided with a major Jewish holiday. The attack killed hundreds of civilians. Since then, Israel has launched airstrikes on Gaza, destroying entire neighborhoods and killing hundreds of Palestinian civilians.
There have been concerns the war will inspire violence in the U.S. Last week, police in major cities increased patrols, authorities put up fencing around the U.S. Capitol and some schools closed. Law enforcement officials stressed there were no credible threats in the U.S.
But FBI Director Christopher Wray and FBI officials said Sunday in a rare phone briefing for reporters that threats in the U.S. have been rising since Hamas invaded Israel.
"The threat is very much ongoing and in fact, the threat picture continues to evolve," Wray said. "Here in the U.S., we cannot and do not discount the possibility that Hamas or other foreign terrorist organizations could exploit the conflict to call on their supporters to conduct attacks on our own soil."
He said Jews and Muslims alike, as well as their institutions and houses of worship, have been threatened in the U.S. and told reporters that the bureau is "moving quickly to mitigate" the threats.
- In:
- Hamas
- Israel
veryGood! (2)
Related
- Selena Gomez engaged to Benny Blanco after 1 year together: 'Forever begins now'
- Reese Witherspoon Debuts Jaw-Dropping Nicole Kidman Impression While Honoring Her
- Move over, Taylor Swift and Travis Kelce − TikTok is obsessed with this tall couple now
- Rob Lowe Shares How He and Son John Owen Have Bonded Over Sobriety
- B.A. Parker is learning the banjo
- The 44 Best Amazon Deals Now: 60% Off Linen Pants, 60% Off Dresses $9.98 Electric Toothbrushes & More
- Motorcycle riding has long been male-dominated. Now, women are taking the wheel(s)
- Ludvig Aberg leads after two rounds of the US Open; Tiger Woods misses cut
- Which apps offer encrypted messaging? How to switch and what to know after feds’ warning
- Fight breaks out in Italian Parliament after lawmaker makes move on government official
Ranking
- The Super Bowl could end in a 'three
- US Open third round tee times: Ludvig Aberg holds lead entering weekend at Pinehurst
- Southern Baptists voted this week on women pastors, IVF and more: What happened?
- Dr. Anthony Fauci turned down millions to leave government work fighting infectious diseases
- Bodycam footage shows high
- Charles Barkley says next season will be his last on TV, no matter what happens with NBA media deals
- R.E.M. discusses band's breakup, friendship and Songwriters Hall of Fame honor
- Ariana DeBose talks hosting Tony Awards, Marvel debut: I believe in versatility
Recommendation
Selena Gomez engaged to Benny Blanco after 1 year together: 'Forever begins now'
Decomposed remains of an infant found in Kentucky are likely missing 8-month-old girl, police say
Nick Mavar, longtime deckhand on 'Deadliest Catch', dies at 59 after 'medical emergency'
Euro 2024 highlights: Germany crushes Scotland in tournament opener. See all the goals
Louvre will undergo expansion and restoration project, Macron says
Doncic scores 29, Mavericks roll past the Celtics 122-84 to avoid a sweep in the NBA Finals
Independent report criticizes Cuomo’s ‘top-down’ management of New York’s COVID-19 response
Here are the most and least affordable major cities in the world