Current:Home > ScamsNYC parents charged in death of 4-year-old boy who prosecutors say was starved to death -Blueprint Money Mastery
NYC parents charged in death of 4-year-old boy who prosecutors say was starved to death
PredictIQ Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 23:01:34
NEW YORK (AP) — A New York City couple were indicted Wednesday in the death of their 4-year-old son, who prosecutors say was actively starved along with his siblings in a Harlem apartment where the parents kept their fridge stocked with fresh food for themselves.
Nytavia Ragsdale, 26, and Laron Modlin, 24, face a range of charges including murder, manslaughter, assault and four counts of endangering the welfare of a child.
Ragsdale, who had been initially charged with second-degree manslaughter, pleaded not guilty Wednesday and remains held without bail. Modlin will be arraigned next week.
Manhattan District Attorney Alvin Bragg said the additional and stepped-up charges were warranted because of the “extreme physical neglect and persistent abuse with depraved indifference for his life” demonstrated by the couple.
“The death of Jah’Meik Modlin, an innocent four-year-old child, is a tragedy that has scarred this city,” Bragg said in statement. “That he died a slow and painful death, starving alongside his older siblings, somehow isolated in the heart of Harlem, is a stain on our collective conscience.”
Prosecutors said the couple stocked the house with fresh food but turned the fridge toward a wall and placed zip ties on cabinets containing food so their children could not open them.
They also said the children were hidden from other family and the public most of their lives. The children never attended school, had not seen a doctor in years and lived in a room covered in feces.
Jah’Meik Modlin died at a Harlem hospital after police found him unconscious and unresponsive at his home on Oct. 13.
At the time of his death, he weighed just 19 pounds and had almost no body fat, prosecutors said. The boy’s three other siblings, ages 5, 6 and 7, were also severely malnourished and remain hospitalized.
The public defender’s office representing the couple declined to comment Thursday.
veryGood! (57538)
Related
- Jamie Foxx reps say actor was hit in face by a glass at birthday dinner, needed stitches
- East Timor looks to the pope’s visit as a reward after 20 years of fragile stability
- DirecTV files complaint against Disney with FCC as impasse enters 2nd week
- 13 children, 4 adults visiting western Michigan park stung by ground-nesting bees
- Where will Elmo go? HBO moves away from 'Sesame Street'
- Score 50% off Old Navy Jeans All Weekend -- Shop Chic Denim Styles Starting at $17
- Taylor Swift and Travis Kelce Arrive at NYC Dinner in Style After Chiefs Win
- Grand Canyon’s main water line has broken dozens of times. Why is it getting a major fix only now?
- Whoopi Goldberg is delightfully vile as Miss Hannigan in ‘Annie’ stage return
- Grand Canyon’s main water line has broken dozens of times. Why is it getting a major fix only now?
Ranking
- Rams vs. 49ers highlights: LA wins rainy defensive struggle in key divisional game
- 10 unwritten rules of youth sports: Parents can prevent fights with this 24-hour rule
- Paige DeSorbo Swears Everyone Who Buys These Pants Loves Them So Much, They End Up Getting Every Color
- US higher education advocates welcome federal support for Hispanic-serving institutions
- New data highlights 'achievement gap' for students in the US
- Sky's Angel Reese sidelined with season-ending wrist injury
- Kendrick Lamar to Perform at 2025 Super Bowl Halftime Show
- The AI industry uses a light lobbying touch to educate Congress from a corporate perspective
Recommendation
Paula Abdul settles lawsuit with former 'So You Think You Can Dance' co
When is US Open women's final? How to watch Jessica Pegula vs Aryna Sabalenka
Kendrick Lamar to Perform at 2025 Super Bowl Halftime Show
Who is the highest-paid NFL player? Ranking the highest NFL contracts for 2024 season
Sam Taylor
Kylie Jenner and Jordyn Woods Prove Their Friendship is Strong 5 Years After Feud
Run to Vineyard Vines for an Extra 30% off Their Sale—Shop Flowy Dresses, Nautical Tops & More Luxe Deals
Manhunt underway for suspect in active shooter situation that shut down I-75 in Kentucky