Current:Home > FinancePoinbank Exchange|Survivor of Parkland school massacre wins ownership of shooter’s name in lawsuit settlement -Blueprint Money Mastery
Poinbank Exchange|Survivor of Parkland school massacre wins ownership of shooter’s name in lawsuit settlement
Rekubit View
Date:2025-04-06 13:09:14
FORT LAUDERDALE,Poinbank Exchange Fla. (AP) — The most severely wounded survivor of the 2018 massacre at Parkland’s Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School now owns shooter Nikolas Cruz’s name, and Cruz cannot give any interviews without his permission, under a settlement reached in a lawsuit.
Under his recent settlement with Anthony Borges, Cruz must also turn over any money he might receive as a beneficiary of a relative’s life insurance policy, participate in any scientific studies of mass shooters and donate his body to science after his death.
The agreement means that Cruz, 25, cannot benefit from or cooperate with any movies, TV shows, books or other media productions without Borges’ permission. Cruz is serving consecutive life sentences at an undisclosed prison for each of the 17 murders and 17 attempted murders he committed inside a three-story classroom building on Feb. 14, 2018.
“We just wanted to shut him down so we never have to hear about him again,” Borges’ attorney, Alex Arreaza, said Thursday.
Borges, now 21, was shot five times in the back and legs and collapsed in the middle of the third-floor hallway. Video shows that Cruz pointed his rifle at Borges as he lay on the floor, but unlike most of the other victims he walked past, did not shoot him a second time. Arreaza said he asked Cruz why he didn’t shoot Borges again, but he didn’t remember.
A promising soccer player before the shooting, Borges has undergone more than a dozen surgeries and still lives in pain. He received donations, a $1.25 million settlement from the Broward County school district and an undisclosed settlement from the FBI for their failures in preventing the shooting. Arreaza said it is difficult to say whether Borges has received enough money to cover his future medical expenses.
Several other families also sued Cruz, and a mini-trial had been scheduled for next month to assess damages against him. That trial has been canceled, Arreaza said. David Brill, the attorney representing the other families, did not return a phone call and two email messages seeking comment.
Florida already has laws that prohibit inmates from keeping any proceeds related to their crimes, including any writings or artwork they might produce in prison. In addition, Judge Elizabeth Scherer, when she sentenced Cruz, ordered that any money placed in his prison commissary account be seized to pay restitution to the victims and their families and all court and investigation costs. In total, that would be millions of dollars.
Arreaza said he feared that without the settlement, Cruz could find a way around the law and the judge’s order or assign any money he might receive to a relative or other person.
Borges, the families of those Cruz murdered and other survivors are also suing former Broward County sheriff’s deputy Scot Peterson, the sheriff’s office and two former school security guards, alleging they failed to protect the students and staff. No trial date has been set. Peterson was acquitted of criminal charges last year.
veryGood! (2164)
Related
- Israel lets Palestinians go back to northern Gaza for first time in over a year as cease
- Banks gone wild: SVB, Signature and moral hazard
- Sarah Ferguson, Duchess of York, Diagnosed With Breast Cancer
- Silicon Valley Bank's collapse and rescue
- Travis Hunter, the 2
- California aims to tap beavers, once viewed as a nuisance, to help with water issues and wildfires
- Doug Burgum is giving $20 gift cards in exchange for campaign donations. Experts split on whether that's legal
- Justice Department opens probe into Silicon Valley Bank after its sudden collapse
- Megan Fox's ex Brian Austin Green tells Machine Gun Kelly to 'grow up'
- The Fires That Raged on This Greek Island Are Out. Now Northern Evia Faces a Long Road to Recovery
Ranking
- Meet the volunteers risking their lives to deliver Christmas gifts to children in Haiti
- Lawmakers are split on how to respond to the recent bank failures
- Texas Politicians Aim to Penalize Wind and Solar in Response to Outages. Are Renewables Now Strong Enough to Defend Themselves?
- After a Clash Over Costs and Carbon, a Minnesota Utility Wants to Step Back from Its Main Electricity Supplier
- How to watch the 'Blue Bloods' Season 14 finale: Final episode premiere date, cast
- An Oil Industry Hub in Washington State Bans New Fossil Fuel Development
- Why car prices are still so high — and why they are unlikely to fall anytime soon
- Why the Paris Climate Agreement Might be Doomed to Fail
Recommendation
The Best Stocking Stuffers Under $25
Despite One Big Dissent, Minnesota Utilities Approve of Coal Plant Sale. But Obstacles Remain
No Hard Feelings Team Responds to Controversy Over Premise of Jennifer Lawrence Movie
To Counter Global Warming, Focus Far More on Methane, a New Study Recommends
Residents worried after ceiling cracks appear following reroofing works at Jalan Tenaga HDB blocks
Robert Smith of The Cure convinces Ticketmaster to give partial refunds, lower fees
The Fires That Raged on This Greek Island Are Out. Now Northern Evia Faces a Long Road to Recovery
Boy reels in invasive piranha-like fish from Oklahoma pond