Current:Home > NewsFeds leave future of Dakota Access pipeline’s controversial river crossing unclear in draft review -Blueprint Money Mastery
Feds leave future of Dakota Access pipeline’s controversial river crossing unclear in draft review
TrendPulse View
Date:2025-04-06 17:10:38
BISMARCK, N.D. (AP) — Federal officials on Friday released a draft environmental review of the Dakota Access oil pipeline, but said they’re waiting for more input before deciding the future of the line’s controversial river crossing in North Dakota.
The draft was released over three years after a federal judge ordered the environmental review and revoked the permit for the Missouri River crossing, upstream of the Standing Rock Sioux Tribe’s reservation. The tribe is concerned a pipeline oil spill could contaminate its water supply.
The environmental review is key for whether the federal government reissues the permit. The pipeline has been operating since 2017, including during the environmental review.
The draft environmental impact statement, which is dated in June but was made public Friday, noted that the Corps “has not selected a preferred alternative,” but will make a decision in its final review, after considering input from the public and other agencies.
The draft details five options for the pipeline, including denying the easement for the crossing and removing or abandoning a 7,500-foot (2,286-meter) segment. Officials could also approve the easement with measures for “increased operational safety,” or grant the same easement with no changes.
A fifth option is a 111-mile (179-kilometer) reroute of the pipeline to north of Bismarck, over 38 miles upstream from the current crossing. The reroute would require new permits from federal, state and local authorities and regulators, which could take at least two years. The exact path of such a reroute is unknown, according to the draft.
“We are seeking public input on the environmental analysis of each alternative, and that input combined with the environmental analysis will help us to make an informed decision among the alternatives,” Corps Omaha District spokesman Steve Wolf told The Associated Press.
A comment period will end Nov. 13. Public meetings are scheduled Nov. 1-2 in Bismarck.
A final environmental impact statement will follow the public input and environmental analysis, and a formal decision will be made, Wolf said.
North Dakota’s governor-led, three-member Industrial Commission on Thursday heard of the draft’s pending release. Republican Gov. Doug Burgum on Thursday called the selection of no preferred alternative “unusual if not unprecedented.”
The pipeline, which officials say is safe, moves oil from western North Dakota to Illinois. Leaders in North Dakota’s oil industry and state government consider the pipeline to be crucial infrastructure, with far less oil now transported by rail.
The pipeline is moving about 600,000 to 650,000 barrels of oil per day. Its capacity is 750,000 barrels per day. North Dakota produces about 1.1 million barrels of oil per day.
The U.S. Supreme Court last year refused to take up an appeal of the tribe’s lawsuit over the pipeline. The tribe first filed the lawsuit in 2016. Thousands of people gathered and camped near the pipeline’s river crossing for protests that lasted months and sparked hundreds of arrests in 2016 and 2017. More than 830 criminal cases resulted from the protests.
Standing Rock last year withdrew as a cooperating agency in the environmental review.
The pipeline “is an ongoing trespass against the Standing Rock Sioux Tribe,” Tribal Chair Janet Alkire previously said. “Every day that the pipeline operates and transfers oil, trespass damages continually accrue.”
veryGood! (362)
Related
- The FBI should have done more to collect intelligence before the Capitol riot, watchdog finds
- Inside Halsey and Alev Aydin's Co-Parenting Relationship After Breakup
- Coach 80% Off Deals: Shop Under $100 Handbags, Shoes, Jewelry, Belts, Wallets, and More
- This Affordable Amazon Tank Top Is the Perfect Cottagecore Look for Spring
- Person accused of accosting Rep. Nancy Mace at Capitol pleads not guilty to assault charge
- Proof Margot Robbie and Ryan Gosling Are Still Living in a Barbie World
- The Hunger Games' Alexander Ludwig Celebrates 5 Years of Sobriety in Moving Self-Love Message
- The Big Bang Theory Alum Kevin Sussman Marries Addie Hall
- Paula Abdul settles lawsuit with former 'So You Think You Can Dance' co
- What we do — and don't yet — know about the malaria cases in the U.S.
Ranking
- Have Dry, Sensitive Skin? You Need To Add These Gentle Skincare Products to Your Routine
- Here’s What Scott Disick Did During Ex Sofia Richie’s Wedding Weekend With Elliot Grainge
- California's flooding reveals we're still building cities for the climate of the past
- See Adele Cry Over Her Divorce and James Corden's Friendship in Final Carpool Karaoke Ever
- Federal appeals court upholds $14.25 million fine against Exxon for pollution in Texas
- Mandy Moore Shows Off Her New Bangs After Itching for a Hair Change
- This Off-Shoulder Maxi Dress With Hundreds of 5-Star Amazon Reviews Is the Perfect Summer Vacation Look
- Murder, Madness and the Real Horror Explored in Amityville: An Origin Story
Recommendation
From family road trips to travel woes: Americans are navigating skyrocketing holiday costs
Why California's floods may be 'only a taste' of what's to come in a warmer world
This It Cosmetics Balm Works as a Cleanser, Makeup Remover, and Mask: Get 2 for Less Than the Price of 1
Kristin Cavallari Reveals the “Challenges” of Dating After Jay Cutler Divorce
South Korea's acting president moves to reassure allies, calm markets after Yoon impeachment
This week has had several days of the hottest temperatures on record
Queen Camilla’s Son Tom Parker Bowles Makes Rare Comments on Her Marriage to King Charles
Mother’s Day Gifts For Self-Care To Help Her Pamper, Relax & Chill