Current:Home > ContactHuw Edwards named by wife as BBC presenter accused of sexual misconduct; police say no crime committed -Blueprint Money Mastery
Huw Edwards named by wife as BBC presenter accused of sexual misconduct; police say no crime committed
Chainkeen Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 14:10:45
There's no evidence a BBC presenter who allegedly paid a teenager for sexually explicit photos committed a crime, London police said Wednesday as the broadcaster's wife publicly identified him for the first time as veteran news anchor Huw Edwards.
Metropolitan police said it made its decision after speaking with the alleged victim and that person's parents. The parents told The Sun newspaper last week that the presenter had been allowed to remain on air after the mother complained to the BBC in May that he paid the youth $45,000 starting in 2020 when the person was 17.
As the story topped the news in Britain all week and embroiled the BBC in scandal, speculation swirled about the identity of the presenter. Some of the BBC's biggest on-air personalities publicly said it wasn't them and others called on the unnamed presenter to come forward.
Edwards' wife, Vicky Flind, named her husband late Wednesday and said he was hospitalized with serious mental health issues.
After "five extremely difficult days for our family," Flind said she was naming him "primarily out of concern for his mental well-being and to protect our children."
"The events of the last few days have greatly worsened matters, he has suffered another serious episode and is now receiving in-patient hospital care where he'll stay for the foreseeable future," she said.
Edwards, 61, is one of Britain's best-known and most authoritative news broadcasters, lead anchor on the BBC's nighttime news and the face of its election coverage. He led BBC coverage of the funeral of Queen Elizabeth II in September. He's among the broadcaster's best-paid stars, with an annual salary of at least $565,000.
The U.K.'s publicly funded national broadcaster had not named Edwards, but said it had suspended a male star over the allegations. The BBC said it will continue its investigation into the matter.
A lawyer representing the young person in question, who was not named, told the BBC earlier this week that "nothing inappropriate or unlawful has taken place between our client and the BBC personality." The lawyer said the allegations reported in The Sun were "rubbish."
Though the age of sexual consent in Britain is 16, it is a crime to make or possess indecent images of anyone under 18.
The Metropolitan Police issued a statement saying no further action would be taken.
"Detectives from the Met's Specialist Crime Command have now concluded their assessment and have determined there is no information to indicate that a criminal offense has been committed," the force said.
Jon Sopel, the former BBC News North America editor, sent his best wishes to Edwards and his family.
"This is an awful and shocking episode, where there was no criminality, but perhaps a complicated private life," Sopel tweeted. "That doesn't feel very private now. I hope that will give some cause to reflect."
- In:
- BBC
- Sexual Misconduct
veryGood! (5963)
Related
- North Carolina justices rule for restaurants in COVID
- Angelina Jolie Drops Legal Case Over 2016 Brad Pitt Plane Incident
- New reality show 'The Summit' premieres: What climber was the first to be eliminated?
- Aurora and Sophia Culpo Detail Bond With Brother-in-Law Christian McCaffrey
- All That You Wanted to Know About She’s All That
- Starliner astronauts welcome Crew-9 team, and their ride home, to the space station
- Hurricane Helene among deadliest to hit US mainland; damage and death toll grow
- Former Tennessee Gov. Winfield Dunn, who left dentistry to win as a first-time candidate, dies at 97
- EU countries double down on a halt to Syrian asylum claims but will not yet send people back
- Did 'SNL' mock Chappell Roan for harassment concerns? Controversial sketch sparks debate
Ranking
- Spooky or not? Some Choa Chu Kang residents say community garden resembles cemetery
- Timothée Chalamet Looks Unrecognizable With Hair and Mustache Transformation on Marty Supreme Set
- Plans to build green spaces aimed at tackling heat, flooding and blight
- Ancestral land returned to Onondaga Nation in upstate New York
- The Louvre will be renovated and the 'Mona Lisa' will have her own room
- Why Rihanna Says Being a Mom of 2 Boys Is an “Olympic Sport”
- Pete Rose dies at 83: Social media mourns MLB, Reds legend
- Why Rihanna Says Being a Mom of 2 Boys Is an “Olympic Sport”
Recommendation
Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Hi Hi!
‘Sing Sing’ actor exonerated of murder after nearly 24 years in prison
Police in a cartel-dominated Mexican city are pulled off the streets after army takes their guns
San Francisco stunner: Buster Posey named Giants president, replacing fired Farhan Zaidi
Most popular books of the week: See what topped USA TODAY's bestselling books list
California expands access to in vitro fertilization with new law requiring insurers to cover it
Opinion: Child care costs widened the pay gap. Women in their 30s are taking the hit.
How one preschool uses PAW Patrol to teach democracy