Current:Home > NewsJohnathan Walker:Ford Executive Chair Bill Ford gets involved in union contract talks during an uncommon presentation -Blueprint Money Mastery
Johnathan Walker:Ford Executive Chair Bill Ford gets involved in union contract talks during an uncommon presentation
Rekubit Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 15:14:33
DETROIT (AP) — Ford Motor Co. Executive Chairman Bill Ford is Johnathan Walkerscheduled to make a rare speech Monday about the future of American manufacturing with the company near an impasse with striking autoworkers.
The speech near the company’s huge pickup truck plant in Ford’s hometown of Dearborn, Michigan, is expected to address the monthlong strike by members of the United Auto Workers union.
Last week 8,700 union members walked out at the largest and most profitable Ford plant in the world, the Kentucky Truck Plant in Louisville.
After the walkout, a top company executive said on a conference call with reporters that Ford had reached the limit in how much it was willing to spend to end the strike.
Ford announced the speech with a short advisory early on Monday.
Bill Ford is likely to appeal to workers about how the company can’t afford to saddle itself with high labor costs and still be competitive with Tesla and other nonunion automakers with U.S. factories.
The speech comes as the industry is amidst a historic and expensive shift from internal combustion engines to electric vehicles.
UAW President Shawn Fain has said Ford and crosstown rivals General Motors and Jeep maker Stellantis are making billions and workers should get a share. He says the workers should be repaid for sacrificing general pay raises, cost of living adjustments and agreeing to lower wage tiers to keep the companies afloat during the Great Recession.
The union began striking at targeted factories on Sept. 15, after its contracts with the companies expired. It started with one assembly plant from each company and later spread to 38 parts warehouses at GM and Jeep maker Stellantis. The UAW later added another assembly plant at GM and Ford.
Last Wednesday Fain made the surprise announcement that the union would walk out at the Kentucky plant, which makes Super Duty pickups and large Ford and Lincoln SUVs.
About 34,000 of the union’s 146,000 employees at all three automakers are now on strike.
Kumar Galhotra, president of Ford Blue, the company’s internal combustion engine business, told reporters Thursday that Ford stretched to get to the offer it now has on the table.
The apparently widening labor rift indicates that Ford and the union may be in for a lengthy strike that could cost the company and workers billions of dollars.
Fain said on Wednesday that Ford told UAW bargainers for nearly two weeks that it would make another counteroffer on economic issues. But at a meeting called by the union, the company didn’t increase its previous offer, Fain said. “Ford hasn’t gotten the message” to bargain for a fair contract, Fain said in announcing the walkout by 8,700 workers at the company’s Kentucky Truck Plant in Louisville.
“We’ve been very patient working with the company on this,” he said in a video. “They have not met expectations, they’re not even coming to the table on it.”
Galhotra called Ford’s offer “incredibly positive” and said Ford never indicated to the union that it would be increased.
“We have been very clear we are at the limit,” he said on a conference call with reporters. “We risk the ability to invest in the business and profitably grow. And profitable growth is in the best interest of everybody at Ford.”
The company has a set amount of money, but is willing to move dollars around in a way that might fit the union’s needs, he said, adding that he still thinks it’s possible to reach a deal.
The union has said Ford’s general wage offer is up to 23% over four years and that it has reinstated cost of living raises. GM and Stellantis were at 20%. But Fain said none was high enough.
veryGood! (67417)
Related
- How to watch the 'Blue Bloods' Season 14 finale: Final episode premiere date, cast
- What did Saturday's solar eclipse look like? Photos show a 'ring of fire' in the sky.
- Unification Church slams Japan’s dissolution request as a threat to religious freedom
- AP Top 25: Washington into top 5 for 1st time in 6 years. Air Force ranked for 1st time since 2019
- Selena Gomez engaged to Benny Blanco after 1 year together: 'Forever begins now'
- Kate Spade 24-Hour Flash Deal: Get This $300 Large Tote Bag for Just $75
- North Side High School's mariachi program honors its Hispanic roots through music
- Wisconsin Supreme Court asked to draw new legislative boundaries over Republican objections
- Paris Hilton, Nicole Richie return for an 'Encore,' reminisce about 'The Simple Life'
- Suzanne Somers of 'Three's Company' dies at 76
Ranking
- This was the average Social Security benefit in 2004, and here's what it is now
- Illinois man fatally stabbed 6-year-old in hate crime motivated by Israeli-Hamas war, authorities say
- UN aid chief says six months of war in Sudan has killed 9,000 people
- Virginia school bus driver and 12 children hurt after bus overturns, officials say
- Working Well: When holidays present rude customers, taking breaks and the high road preserve peace
- Murder plot revealed in Calif. woman's text messages: I just dosed the hell out of him
- Japan criticizes Russian ban on its seafood following the release of treated radioactive water
- The Crown Unveils First Glimpse of Princes William and Harry in Final Season Photos
Recommendation
Selena Gomez engaged to Benny Blanco after 1 year together: 'Forever begins now'
Russian governor has been reported to police after saying there’s ‘no need’ for the war in Ukraine
Gaza’s desperate civilians search for food, water and safety, as warnings of Israeli offensive mount
Lawyers and judge hash out juror questions for Powell and Chesebro trial in Georgia election case
In ‘Nickel Boys,’ striving for a new way to see
Mark Goddard, who played Don West on ‘Lost in Space,’ dies at 87
Japan criticizes Russian ban on its seafood following the release of treated radioactive water
Trump-backed Jeff Landry wins Louisiana governor's race