Current:Home > ScamsRights group says Sudan's RSF forces may have committed genocide, warns new disaster looms -Blueprint Money Mastery
Rights group says Sudan's RSF forces may have committed genocide, warns new disaster looms
NovaQuant View
Date:2025-04-06 13:56:17
Port Sudan, Sudan — A series of attacks by Sudanese paramilitary forces in the western region of Darfur raise the possibility of "genocide" against non-Arab ethnic communities, Human Rights Watch said Thursday. The paramilitary Rapid Support Forces (RSF), along with allied militias, have been widely accused of ethnic cleansing, crimes against humanity and war crimes in their war with Sudan's regular army, which began in April 2023.
The war has killed tens of thousands of people, including up to 15,000 in the West Darfur town of El-Geneina, according to United Nations experts. The area is the focus of the 186-page HRW report "'The Massalit Will Not Come Home': Ethnic Cleansing and Crimes Against Humanity in El-Geneina, West Darfur, Sudan."
It describes "an ethnic cleansing campaign against the ethnic Massalit and other non-Arab populations."
- U.S. family finally reunited after escaping Sudan's civil war
From late April until early November of last year, the RSF and allied militias "conducted a systematic campaign to remove, including by killing, ethnic Massalit residents," according to HRW.
The violence, which included atrocities such as mass torture, rape and looting, peaked in mid-June — when thousands were killed within days — and surged again in November.
Local human rights lawyers said they had tracked a pattern where fighters targeted "prominent members of the Massalit community," including doctors, human rights defenders, local leaders and government officials.
HRW added that the attackers "methodically destroyed critical civilian infrastructure," primarily in communities consisting of displaced Massalit.
Satellite images showed that since June, predominantly Massalit neighborhoods in El-Geneina have been "systematically dismantled, many with bulldozers, preventing civilians who fled from returning to their homes," HRW reported.
HRW said the attacks constitute "ethnic cleansing" as they appeared to be aimed at "at least having them permanently leave the region."
The context of the killings further "raises the possibility that the RSF and their allies have the intent to destroy in whole or in part the Massalit in at least West Darfur, which would indicate that genocide has been and/or is being committed there," it added.
HRW called for an investigation into genocidal intent, targeted sanctions on those responsible and urged the U.N. to "widen the existing arms embargo on Darfur to cover all of Sudan."
The International Criminal Court, currently investigating ethnic-based killings in Darfur, says it has "grounds to believe" that both the paramilitaries and the army are committing "Rome Statute crimes," which include war crimes, crimes against humanity and genocide.
In December, the United States said Sudan's rival forces had both committed war crimes in the brutal conflict, accusing the RSF of ethnic cleansing and crimes against humanity.
Over half a million Sudanese have fled the violence from Darfur into Chad, according to the latest U.N. figures. By late October, 75% of those crossing the border were from El-Geneina, HRW said.
All eyes are currently focused on the North Darfur state capital of El-Fasher, about 250 miles east of El-Geneina — the only state capital not under RSF control.
The United States has warned of a disaster of "epic proportions" if the RSF proceeds with an expected attack, as residents fear the same fate of El-Geneina will befall them.
"As the U.N. Security Council and governments wake up to the looming disaster in El-Fasher, the large-scale atrocities committed in El-Geneina should be seen as a reminder of the atrocities that could come in the absence of concerted action," said HRW executive director Tirana Hassan.
- In:
- War
- Africa
- Civil War
- Sudan
- Genocide
- War Crimes
- Ethnic Cleansing
veryGood! (3)
Related
- Why Sean "Diddy" Combs Is Being Given a Laptop in Jail Amid Witness Intimidation Fears
- Donald Trump to attend Black journalists’ convention in Chicago
- 2024 Olympics: Jade Carey Makes Epic Return to Vault After Fall at Gymnastics Qualifiers
- 'Black Swan murder trial': Former ballerina on trial in estranged husband's Florida killing
- 2025 'Doomsday Clock': This is how close we are to self
- Second spectator injured in Trump campaign rally shooting released from hospital
- Banks want your voice data for extra security protection. Don't do it!
- US Army soldier accused of selling sensitive military information changes plea to guilty
- This was the average Social Security benefit in 2004, and here's what it is now
- Massachusetts governor says there’s nothing she can do to prevent 2 hospitals from closing
Ranking
- Will the 'Yellowstone' finale be the last episode? What we know about Season 6, spinoffs
- The Daily Money: Saying no to parenthood
- 103 earthquakes in one week: What's going on in west Texas?
- 83-year-old Alabama former legislator sentenced to 13 months in federal prison for kickback scheme
- Could your smelly farts help science?
- Illinois sheriff, whose deputy killed Sonya Massey apologizes: ‘I offer up no excuses’
- 2024 Olympics: Egyptian Fencer Nada Hafez Shares She Competed in Paris Games While 7 Months Pregnant
- The 25 Most Popular Amazon Items E! Readers Bought This Month: Viral Beauty Products & More
Recommendation
Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
American consumers feeling more confident in July as expectations of future improve
The Last Supper controversy at the 2024 Paris Olympics reeks of hypocrisy
Erica Ash, comedian and ‘Real Husbands of Hollywood’ and ‘Mad TV’ star, dies at 46
Angelina Jolie nearly fainted making Maria Callas movie: 'My body wasn’t strong enough'
Francine Pascal, author of beloved ‘Sweet Valley High’ books, dead at 92
Delaware gubernatorial candidate calls for investigation into primary rival’s campaign finances
Illinois sheriff, whose deputy killed Sonya Massey apologizes: ‘I offer up no excuses’