Current:Home > StocksFive Mississippi deputies in alleged violent episode against 2 Black men fired or quit -Blueprint Money Mastery
Five Mississippi deputies in alleged violent episode against 2 Black men fired or quit
Burley Garcia View
Date:2025-04-06 13:11:57
Jackson, Miss. — All five Mississippi deputy sheriffs who responded to an incident in which two Black men accused the deputies of beating and sexually assaulting them before shooting one of them in the mouth have been fired or resigned, authorities announced Tuesday.
The announcement comes months after Michael Corey Jenkins and his friend Eddie Terrell Parker said deputies from the Rankin County Sheriff's Department burst into a home without a warrant. The men said deputies beat them, assaulted them with a sex toy and shocked them repeatedly with Tasers in a roughly 90-minute period during the Jan. 24 episode, Jenkins and Parker said.
Jenkins said one of the deputies shoved a gun in his mouth and then fired the weapon, leaving him with serious injuries to his face, tongue and jaw. The Justice Department opened a civil rights investigation into the Rankin County Sheriff's Department after the episode.
Rankin County Sheriff Bryan Bailey announced Tuesday that deputies involved in the episode had been fired and some had already resigned. He wouldn't provide the names of the deputies who'd been terminated or say how many law enforcement officers were fired. Bailey wouldn't answer additional questions about the episode.
"Due to recent developments, including findings during our internal investigation, those deputies that were still employed by this department have all been terminated," Bailey said at a news conference. "We understand that the alleged actions of these deputies has eroded the public's trust in the department. Rest assured that we will work diligently to restore that trust."
Bailey's announcement also follows an Associated Press investigation that found several deputies who were involved with the episode were also linked to at least four violent encounters with Black men since 2019 that left two dead and another with lasting injuries. Deputies who had been accepted to the sheriff's office's Special Response Team - a tactical unit whose members receive advanced training - were involved in each of the four encounters.
Deputies said the raid was prompted by a report of drug activity at the home. Police and court records obtained by the AP revealed the identities of two deputies at the Jenkins raid: Hunter Elward and Christian Dedmon. It wasn't immediately clear whether any of the deputies had attorneys who could comment on their behalf.
In a phone interview Tuesday, Jason Dare, an attorney representing the Rankin County Sheriff's Department, said the department knows of five deputies who conducted the Jenkins raid. Jenkins and his attorney have said six deputies were at the home. All five identified by the department were either fired or resigned.
There is no body camera footage of the episode. Records obtained by the AP show that Tasers used by the deputies were turned on, turned off or used dozens of times during a roughly 65-minute period before Jenkins was shot.
Jenkins and Parker have also filed a federal civil rights lawsuit and are seeking $400 million in damages.
In a statement obtained by CBS News, Malik Shabazz, an attorney representing Jenkins and Parker, celebrated the "long overdue" firing of the officers and called for criminal indictments of deputies by the state attorney general and the Justice Department. He said such indictments would be "the next step in this tough fight for justice in this nasty ordeal."
"The firing of the Rankin County Mississippi Sheriff's deputies involved in the torture and shooting of Michael Jenkins and Eddie Parker is a significant action on the path to justice for one of the worst law enforcement tragedies in recent memory," Shabazz said. "Sheriff Bryan Bailey has finally acted after supporting much of the bloodshed that has occurred under his reign in Rankin County. The next credible and honorable step for Brian Bailey is to resign or to be ousted."
Another attorney for the two men, Trent Walker, said in the statement that he's "lived in Rankin County all my life. These firings are unprecedented. Finally, the window to justice may possibly be opening in Rankin County."
- In:
- Mississippi
veryGood! (41)
Related
- New Mexico governor seeks funding to recycle fracking water, expand preschool, treat mental health
- As the Rio Grande runs dry, South Texas cities look to alternatives for water
- Rust armorer wants conviction tossed in wake of dropping of Baldwin charges
- Massachusetts House and Senate approve a $58B state budget deal
- California DMV apologizes for license plate that some say mocks Oct. 7 attack on Israel
- JoJo Siwa Makes Comment About Taylor Swift After Breaking Record for Most Disliked Female Music Video
- Highlights from the 2024 Republican National Convention
- Gen Z: Many stuck in 'parent trap,' needing financial help from Mom and Dad, survey finds
- Biden administration makes final diplomatic push for stability across a turbulent Mideast
- Here's How to Get $237 Worth of Ulta Beauty Products for $30: Peter Thomas Roth, Drunk Elephant & More
Ranking
- Taylor Swift Eras Archive site launches on singer's 35th birthday. What is it?
- Watch Ryan Reynolds React to Joke That He's Bad at Sex
- John Williams composed Olympic gold before 1984 LA Olympics
- NASA plans for space station's demise with new SpaceX Deorbit Vehicle
- A Mississippi company is sentenced for mislabeling cheap seafood as premium local fish
- Microsoft outage causes widespread airline disruptions and cancellations. Here's what to know.
- Russell Westbrook expected to join Nuggets after Clippers-Jazz trade
- Alabama naming football field after Nick Saban. How Bryant-Denny Stadium will look this fall
Recommendation
IRS recovers $4.7 billion in back taxes and braces for cuts with Trump and GOP in power
Hot, inland California cities face the steepest water cuts with new conservation mandate
Vermont farmers take stock after losing crops to flooding two years in a row
I won't depend on Social Security alone in retirement. Here's how I plan to get by.
Louvre will undergo expansion and restoration project, Macron says
North Carolina governor’s chief of staff is leaving, and will be replaced by another longtime aide
U.S. stock trading unaffected by IT outage, but Crowdstrike shares tumble
Some convictions overturned in terrorism case against Muslim scholar from Virginia