Current:Home > ContactFDA finds ‘extremely high’ lead levels in cinnamon at Ecuador plant that made tainted fruit pouches -Blueprint Money Mastery
FDA finds ‘extremely high’ lead levels in cinnamon at Ecuador plant that made tainted fruit pouches
Algosensey View
Date:2025-04-06 16:44:31
U.S. food inspectors found “extremely high” levels of lead in cinnamon at a plant in Ecuador that made applesauce pouches tainted with the metal, the Food and Drug Administration said Monday. The recalled pouches have been linked to dozens of illnesses in U.S. kids.
Cinnamon tested from the plant had lead levels more than 2,000 times higher than a maximum level proposed by the FDA, officials said.
The samples came from ground or powdered cinnamon from Negasmart, an Ecuadorian company that supplied the spice to Austrofoods, which made the pouches. The applesauce pouches were sold under three brands — WanaBana, Schnucks and Weis. Officials with Austrofoods did not respond to requests for comment about the investigation.
FDA said lead has not been detected in WanaBana products made without cinnamon and sold in the U.S.
The agency continues to investigate how the cinnamon was contaminated. Jim Jones, who heads the agency’s human foods program, said in an interview with Politico last week that the lead contamination appeared to be “an intentional act.”
One theory is that the cinnamon may have been contaminated for economic reasons, agency officials said. That could mean an ingredient is added or subtracted from a food to to boost its value. For example, compounds like red brick, red lead salt, lead oxide and lead chromate, which mirror cinnamon’s red color, have been added to increase the value of the spice, research shows.
FDA officials said they “cannot take direct action” with Negasmart and are relying on officials in Ecuador for the investigation into the company’s actions. Negasmart does not ship product directly to the U.S. and of Negasmart’s customers, only Austrofoods shipped foods to the U.S., the agency said.
At least 125 children from 22 states may have been sickened by lead poisoning since late October, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said. Using a different reporting method, the Food and Drug Administration counts at least 65 kids ages 6 and younger sickened in 27 states as of Dec. 8.
Tests show children who ate the pouches had blood lead readings up to eight times higher than the reference level that sparks concern, health officials said. Samples of the puree showed lead contamination more than 200 times higher than the FDA allows, officials said.
___
The Associated Press Health and Science Department receives support from the Howard Hughes Medical Institute’s Science and Educational Media Group. The AP is solely responsible for all content.
veryGood! (387)
Related
- Kylie Jenner Shows Off Sweet Notes From Nieces Dream Kardashian & Chicago West
- D. Wayne Lukas isn't going anywhere. At 88, trainer just won his 15th Triple Crown race.
- Daniel Martin on embracing his roots and empowering women through makeup
- Dive team finds bodies of 2 men dead inside plane found upside down in Alaska lake
- Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Joe Burrow owns a $3 million Batmobile Tumbler
- Valerie Bertinelli is stepping away from social media for 'mental health break': 'I'll be back'
- Seize the Grey crosses finish line first at Preakness Stakes, ending Mystik Dan's run for Triple Crown
- Disneyland's character performers vote to unionize
- Rams vs. 49ers highlights: LA wins rainy defensive struggle in key divisional game
- 7 dead, widespread power outages after Texas storm. Now forecasters warn of high heat.
Ranking
- This was the average Social Security benefit in 2004, and here's what it is now
- Nordstrom Rack's Top 100 Deals Include Major Scores Up to 73% Off: Longchamp, Free People & More
- What are adaptogens? Why these wellness drinks are on the rise.
- Scottie Scheffler planning to play next week after 'hectic' week at 2024 PGA Championship
- Appeals court scraps Nasdaq boardroom diversity rules in latest DEI setback
- Max Verstappen holds off Lando Norris to win Emilia Romagna Grand Prix and extend F1 lead
- Ship that caused deadly Baltimore bridge collapse to be refloated and moved
- The video of Diddy assaulting Cassie is something you can’t unsee. It’s OK not to watch.
Recommendation
Meet the volunteers risking their lives to deliver Christmas gifts to children in Haiti
Samsung trolls Apple after failed iPad Pro crush ad
Alice Stewart, CNN political commentator, dies at 58
UFC Hall of Famer Anderson Silva books boxing match with Chael Sonnen on June 15 in Brazil
McKinsey to pay $650 million after advising opioid maker on how to 'turbocharge' sales
CBS News Sunday Morning: By Design gets a makeover by legendary designer David Rockwell
Inside Tom Cruise's Relationship With Kids Isabella, Connor and Suri
Cassie's Lawyer Responds After Sean Diddy Combs' Breaks Silence on 2016 Assault Video