Current:Home > StocksEight Israeli soldiers killed in southern Gaza, IDF says -Blueprint Money Mastery
Eight Israeli soldiers killed in southern Gaza, IDF says
Surpassing View
Date:2025-04-06 17:10:53
The Israel Defense Forces said Saturday that eight soldiers were killed in southern Gaza in the deadliest attack on Israeli forces in months.
The troops were killed in an explosion, the army said, without elaborating. The deaths will likely fuel calls for a cease-fire and heighten Israeli public anger over ultra-Orthodox exemptions from the military.
In January, 21 Israeli troops were killed in a single attack by Palestinian militants in Gaza.
Last month, Israel's Supreme Court ordered an end to government subsidies for many ultra-Orthodox men who don't serve in the army. A new draft law hasn't been passed, but the coalition of Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu this week voted in favor of extending exemptions for religious men. Although the vote was only procedural, it caused an uproar by being approved during a war in which hundreds of soldiers have died and many others remain inside Gaza or on the front lines against Hezbollah militants in Lebanon.
Yoav Gallant, Israel's Defense Minister and member of the country's War Cabinet, has insisted that all sectors of Israeli society should contribute equally during its war against Hamas militants in the Gaza Strip.
Israel's coalition government contains a powerful bloc of ultra-Orthodox parties that have been longtime partners of Netanyahu. If these parties leave the government, the country would be forced into new elections, with Netanyahu trailing significantly in the polls amid the war.
In Tel Aviv, anti-government protests have been ongoing for months, with many demonstrators calling for the immediate return of the hostages, along with Netanyahu's resignation.
Israel's bombardment and ground offensives in Gaza have killed more than 37,000 Palestinians, according to Palestinian health officials, who don't give the breakdown of civilians and fighters. The war has also driven about 80% of the population of 2.3 million from their homes, and Israeli restrictions and ongoing fighting have hindered efforts to bring in humanitarian aid, fueling widespread hunger.
Months of cease-fire negotiations have failed to find common ground between Israeli and Hamas. On Wednesday, U.S. Secretary of State Antony Blinken said that Hamas proposed changes to a U.S.-backed plan, some of which he said were "workable" and some not, without elaborating.
Israel launched its campaign after Hamas and other militants stormed into Israel on Oct. 7, killing some 1,200 people, mostly civilians, and taking around 250 hostage. Over 100 hostages were released during a weeklong cease-fire last year in exchange for Palestinians imprisoned by Israel. Hamas is believed to be holding around 80 hostages and the remains of another 40.
Hamas has continually called for a permanent cease-fire and complete Israeli troop withdrawal from Gaza as part of any deal that would see the hostages released. While the proposal announced by U.S. President Joe Biden includes these two provisions, Hamas has expressed concern about whether Israel will commit to them.
Violence has flared in the West Bank since the Israel-Hamas war erupted. On Saturday, a 16-year-old Palestinian was shot dead by Israeli forces near the northern city of Nablus, the Ramallah-based Health Ministry said. The Israeli army didn't immediately respond to request for comment about the shooting.
- In:
- Hamas
- Israel
- Gaza Strip
veryGood! (7137)
Related
- Moving abroad can be expensive: These 5 countries will 'pay' you to move there
- Who is playing in NFL Monday Night Football? Here's the complete 2024 MNF schedule
- The Biden administration is planning more changes to quicken asylum processing for new migrants
- 'Bridgerton' returns for Season 3: How to watch romance between Colin and Penelope
- DeepSeek: Did a little known Chinese startup cause a 'Sputnik moment' for AI?
- Body found in Grand Canyon after man, dog disappeared on homemade raft last month
- How Pink’s Kids Are Shaping Up to Be Rockstars Like Their Mom
- Sophie Turner Reveals Where She and Ex Joe Jonas Stand After Breakup
- At site of suspected mass killings, Syrians recall horrors, hope for answers
- Olivia Rodrigo’s Reaction to Onstage Wardrobe Malfunction Will Have You Saying “Good 4 U”
Ranking
- This was the average Social Security benefit in 2004, and here's what it is now
- Rory McIlroy dealing with another distraction on eve of PGA Championship
- Lisa Vanderpump Breaks Silence on Former RHOBH Costar Dorit Kemsley's Breakup From PK
- New Jersey quintuplets celebrate their graduation from same college
- Rolling Loud 2024: Lineup, how to stream the world's largest hip hop music festival
- Who gets to claim self-defense in shootings? Airman’s death sparks debate over race and gun rights
- Who is playing in NFL Thursday Night Football? Here's the complete 2024 TNF schedule
- Indianapolis officer fatally shoots man during exchange of gunfire with suspect in earlier shooting
Recommendation
'Malcolm in the Middle’ to return with new episodes featuring Frankie Muniz
Who gets to claim self-defense in shootings? Airman’s death sparks debate over race and gun rights
Future of Texas’ migrant-blocking buoys may hinge on whether the Rio Grande is ‘navigable’
Rory McIlroy dealing with another distraction on eve of PGA Championship
Former Syrian official arrested in California who oversaw prison charged with torture
Judge says Delaware vanity plate rules allow viewpoint discrimination and are unconstitutional
DJ Akademiks, Off The Record podcast host, accused of rape and defamation
Colorado teen pleads guilty in death of driver who was hit in the head by a rock