Current:Home > InvestJohnson & Johnson reaches $700 million settlement in talc baby powder case -Blueprint Money Mastery
Johnson & Johnson reaches $700 million settlement in talc baby powder case
Benjamin Ashford View
Date:2025-04-06 18:54:15
Johnson & Johnson has agreed to pay $700 million in a nationwide settlement resolving allegations that it misled customers about the safety of its talcum-based powder products in its marketing.
"Consumers rely on accurate information when making decisions about which products to purchase for their families," Illinois Attorney General Kwame Raoul, one of 43 attorneys general involved in the lawsuit, said in a statement Tuesday. "Any company — no matter how large — must be held accountable when laws protecting consumers are broken and their trust is violated."
As part of the settlement, which is still pending judicial approval, the health products giant will permanently stop the manufacturing, promotion and sale of all of its baby powder and other body and cosmetic products that contain talcum powder. That includes Johnson's Baby Powder and Johnson & Johnson's Shower to Shower. The company decided to pull talc-based powders off the market in North America in 2020.
J&J will make four settlement payments, starting at the end of July, to 42 states and Washington, D.C., according to the settlement.
In a statement, J&J's worldwide vice president of litigation, Erik Hass, said the company "continues to pursue several paths to achieve a comprehensive and final resolution of the talc litigation. That progress includes the finalization of a previously announced agreement that the Company reached with a consortium of 43 State Attorneys Generals to resolve their talc claims. We will continue to address the claims of those who do not want to participate in our contemplated consensual bankruptcy resolution through litigation or settlement."
The $700 million settlement is the latest development in decade-long legal battles and investigations into links between cancer and the talc used in one of its best-known products. More than 50,000 claims have been filed against the company, mostly on behalf of women who developed ovarian cancer.
Earlier this month, a jury in Oregon awarded $260 million to a local woman who claimed that the company's baby powder products were "directly responsible" for her cancer diagnosis in 2003. In April, a jury awarded $45 million to the family of an Illinois woman who died in 2020 from mesothelioma after being exposed to asbestos in J&J powder.
Last month, J&J offered to pay $6.5 billion to settle the talc-powder lawsuits.
- In:
- Johnson & Johnson
- Class-Action Lawsuit
Khristopher J. Brooks is a reporter for CBS MoneyWatch. He previously worked as a reporter for the Omaha World-Herald, Newsday and the Florida Times-Union. His reporting primarily focuses on the U.S. housing market, the business of sports and bankruptcy.
TwitterveryGood! (7)
Related
- Jorge Ramos reveals his final day with 'Noticiero Univision': 'It's been quite a ride'
- Why Post Malone Thinks It Would Suck to Be Taylor Swift or Beyoncé
- Hoda Kotb Shares Reason Why She and Fiancé Joel Schiffman Broke Up
- Paris put on magnificent Olympic Games that will be hard to top
- Intellectuals vs. The Internet
- Jets shoot down Haason Reddick's trade request amid star pass rusher's holdout
- An estimated 290 residences damaged by flooding from lake dammed by Alaska glacier, officials say
- Matt Kuchar bizarrely stops playing on 72nd hole of Wyndham Championship
- Realtor group picks top 10 housing hot spots for 2025: Did your city make the list?
- A burglary is reported at a Trump campaign office in Virginia
Ranking
- Brianna LaPaglia Reveals The Meaning Behind Her "Chickenfry" Nickname
- Inflation is easing but Americans still aren't feeling it
- Jarren Duran suspended 2 games by Red Sox for shouting homophobic slur at fan who heckled him
- The New York Times says it will stop endorsing candidates in New York elections
- Bodycam footage shows high
- Arizona tribe wants feds to replace electrical transmission line after a 21-hour power outage
- Woman attacked after pleading guilty to helping man after he killed his three children
- 3 people killed in fire that destroyed home in small town northeast of Seattle
Recommendation
Rolling Loud 2024: Lineup, how to stream the world's largest hip hop music festival
Book Review: ‘Kent State’ a chilling examination of 1970 campus shooting and its ramifications
Arizona tribe wants feds to replace electrical transmission line after a 21-hour power outage
Pennsylvania man accused of voting in 2 states faces federal charges
Whoopi Goldberg is delightfully vile as Miss Hannigan in ‘Annie’ stage return
Takeaways from AP’s story on Alabama’s ecologically important Mobile-Tensaw Delta and its watershed
Federal officials investigating natural gas explosion in Maryland that killed 2
Aaron Rodgers says he regrets making comment about being 'immunized'