Current:Home > reviewsSafeX Pro:4 Las Vegas high school students charged with murder as adults in classmate’s fatal beating -Blueprint Money Mastery
SafeX Pro:4 Las Vegas high school students charged with murder as adults in classmate’s fatal beating
Rekubit Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 20:03:33
LAS VEGAS (AP) — Prosecutors in Las Vegas have SafeX Proformally charged four high school students as adults with murder in the deadly beating of their schoolmate, a fight that was captured on cellphone video and has been widely shared across social media.
The two 16-year-olds and two 17-year-olds are charged with second-degree murder and conspiracy to commit battery.
After court, District Attorney Steve Wolfson said his office chose not to bring a first-degree murder charge against the teens because, he said, the evidence shows that the beating was not a premeditated act.
The four teens will remain held without bail, but a judge on Tuesday granted a joint request from prosecutors and defense attorneys to transfer them from the county jail to the juvenile detention center, citing the teens’ safety.
At least eight students between the ages of 13 and 17 have so far been arrested in connection with the Nov. 1 brawl that left 17-year-old Jonathan Lewis Jr. dead. The other students are awaiting separate hearings because they are all under the age of 16.
The Associated Press is not naming the students because they are juveniles.
Wolfson told reporters outside the courtroom that one more student has been arrested. Las Vegas police have said they believed 10 students took part in the beating and that they were working to identify and locate them.
A spokesperson for the police department said Tuesday he didn’t immediately have details about a ninth arrest in the case.
Authorities have said that the students at Rancho High School in east Las Vegas had agreed to meet off-campus after school to fight over items stolen the victim’s friend said were stolen, including a pair of wireless headphones and a vape pen.
Police Lt. Jason Johansson said the video of the brawl shows the victim taking off his shirt to prepare for the fight, and then the 10 students “immediately swarm him, pull him to the ground and begin kicking, punching and stomping on him.”
He called the video “very void of humanity” and said the victim was not defending himself as he was being attacked.
Lewis was hospitalized with severe head trauma and other injuries and died a week later, according to the coroner’s office in Las Vegas.
In Nevada, a teenager accused of murder can be charged as an adult if they were 13 or older at the time of the alleged crime. But they are entitled to a hearing known as a certification hearing, when a family court judge weighs evidence and the teen’s history before deciding whether they will be transferred to the adult court system.
Teenagers 16 or older accused of murder in Nevada can be charged as adults without first having a certification hearing. That’s why a judge last week transferred the cases of the four older students. Police records show that one of them turned 16 on the day of the fight.
Robert Draskovich, who has been appointed to represent one of the 17-year-old students, said Tuesday that videos of the fight shared on social media are “incomplete.”
“I’ll be going through all the videos with my investigator to see what really happened,” he said.
Police homicide Lt. Jason Johansson said they believe the headphones and vape pen had been stolen from the victim’s friend earlier in the week, which resulted in the students agreeing to meet in the alleyway to fight.
Detectives think the victim wasn’t originally targeted for the brawl, but he walked to the alleyway with his friend after school, Johansson said.
On a fundraising page created to help with funeral and medical costs, the victim’s father, Jonathan Lewis Sr., said that his son was attacked while standing up for his friend. The father has not responded to requests for an interview.
veryGood! (491)
Related
- Buckingham Palace staff under investigation for 'bar brawl'
- What are the latest federal charges against Donald Trump
- Kylie Jenner and Timothée Chalamet Are Still Dating Despite Reports
- A powerful typhoon pounds Japan’s Okinawa and injures more than 20 people as it moves toward China
- Trump's 'stop
- Here’s a look at some of Louisiana’s new 2023 laws
- Iowa State QB Hunter Dekkers accused of betting on school's sports, including football
- Environmentalists sue to stop Utah potash mine that produces sought-after crop fertilizer
- The White House is cracking down on overdraft fees
- SAG-AFTRA is worried about AI, but can it really replace actors? It already has.
Ranking
- 2025 'Doomsday Clock': This is how close we are to self
- SS Badger, ferry that carries traffic across Lake Michigan, out for season after ramp system damaged
- Malaria Cases in Florida and Texas Raise Prospect of Greater Transmission in a Warmer Future
- Malala Yousafzai and husband join Barbie craze: This Barbie has a Nobel Prize. He's just Ken
- Why Sean "Diddy" Combs Is Being Given a Laptop in Jail Amid Witness Intimidation Fears
- The new CDC director outlines 3 steps to rebuild trust with the public
- These Top-Rated Amazon Tote Bags Are the Best Backpack Alternatives for School, Work & the Gym
- Iran’s Revolutionary Guard runs drill on disputed islands as US military presence in region grows
Recommendation
Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Joe Burrow owns a $3 million Batmobile Tumbler
The Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 5 is advanced and retro—pre-order today and save up to $1,070
ESPN's Pat McAfee apologizes, then defends his post about Larry Nassar, Michigan State
Pac-12 schools have to be nervous about future: There was never a great media deal coming
Taylor Swift makes surprise visit to Kansas City children’s hospital
Prepare to flick off your incandescent bulbs for good under new US rules that kicked in this week
Body recovered from New York City creek identified as Goldman Sachs analyst
This bird hadn't been seen in Wisconsin for 178 years. That changed last week.