Current:Home > reviewsNevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case -Blueprint Money Mastery
Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
SafeX Pro Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 16:44:36
LAS VEGAS (AP) — A slate of six Nevada Republicans have again been charged with submitting a bogus certificate to Congressthat declared Donald Trump the winner of the presidential battleground’s 2020 election.
Nevada Attorney General Aaron Ford announced Thursday that the state’s fake electors casehad been revived in Carson City, the capital, where he filed a new complaint this week charging the defendants with “uttering a forged instrument,” a felony. The original indictment was dismissed earlier this yearafter a state judge ruled that Clark County, the state’s most populous county and home to Las Vegas, was the wrong venue for the case.
Ford, a Democrat, said the new case was filed as a precaution to avoid the statute of limitations expiring while the Nevada Supreme Court weighs his appeal of the judge’s ruling.
“While we disagree with the finding of improper venue and will continue to seek to overturn it, we are preserving our legal rights in order to ensure that these fake electors do not escape justice,” Ford said. “The actions the fake electors undertook in 2020 violated Nevada criminal law and were direct attempts to both sow doubt in our democracy and undermine the results of a free and fair election. Justice requires that these actions not go unpunished.”
Officials have said it was part of a larger scheme across seven battleground states to keep Trump in the White House after losing to Democrat Joe Biden. Criminal cases have also been brought in Michigan, Georgiaand Arizona.
Trump lost in 2020to Biden by more than 30,000 votes in Nevada. An investigation by then-Nevada Secretary of State Barbara Cegavske, a Republican, found no credible evidence of widespread voter fraud in the state.
The defendants are state GOP chair Michael McDonald; Clark County GOP chair Jesse Law; national party committee member Jim DeGraffenreid; national and Douglas County committee member Shawn Meehan; Storey County clerk Jim Hindle; and Eileen Rice, a party member from the Lake Tahoe area.
In an emailed statement to The Associated Press, McDonald’s attorney, Richard Wright, called the new complaint a political move by a Democratic state attorney general who also announced Thursday he plans to run for governor in 2026.
“We will withhold further comment and address the issues in court,” said Wright, who has spoken often in court on behalf of all six defendants.
Attorneys for the others did not immediately respond to emails seeking comment.
Their lawyers previously argued that Ford improperly brought the case before a grand jury in Democratic-leaning Las Vegas instead of in a northern Nevada city, where the alleged crimes occurred.
___
Associated Press writer Ken Ritter in Las Vegas contributed to this report.
Disclaimer: The copyright of this article belongs to the original author. Reposting this article is solely for the purpose of information dissemination and does not constitute any investment advice. If there is any infringement, please contact us immediately. We will make corrections or deletions as necessary. Thank you.
veryGood! (6626)
Related
- The 401(k) millionaires club keeps growing. We'll tell you how to join.
- Hurricane Beryl roars toward Mexico after killing at least 7 people in the southeast Caribbean
- Great-grandmother wins $5 million on lottery scratch-off after finishing breast cancer treatment
- Dress appropriately and you can get a free Krispy Kreme doughnut on July 4th: Here's how
- Retirement planning: 3 crucial moves everyone should make before 2025
- Iran's 2024 election: Will the presidential run-off vote lead Iran back toward the West, or Russia and China?
- Are Lana Del Rey and Quavo dating? They play lovers in new 'Tough' music video
- Democrats in Congress are torn between backing Biden for president and sounding the alarm
- Federal appeals court upholds $14.25 million fine against Exxon for pollution in Texas
- Ranger injured and armed person making threats dies at Yellowstone, park says
Ranking
- The Best Stocking Stuffers Under $25
- As France and US face threats from within, we need Olympics more than ever
- Pennsylvania Senate passes bill encouraging school districts to ban students’ phone use during day
- Early Amazon Prime Day Deals 2024: Shop the Best Travel Deals for Easy Breezy Trips
- Apple iOS 18.2: What to know about top features, including Genmoji, AI updates
- United Airlines texts customers live radar maps during weather delays
- Josh Hartnett Shares His Daughters' Adorable Reactions to Attending Taylor Swift's Eras Tour
- Democrats in Congress are torn between backing Biden for president and sounding the alarm
Recommendation
Trump issues order to ban transgender troops from serving openly in the military
Oklahoma State football's million-dollar strength coach, Rob Glass, gets raise
Copa America 2024: Knockout stage bracket is set
Bridgerton Surpasses Baby Reindeer With This Major Milestone
Paris Hilton, Nicole Richie return for an 'Encore,' reminisce about 'The Simple Life'
Minnesota prosecutor provides most detailed account yet of shooting deaths of 3 first responders
Christina Applegate shares bucket list items with 'the days I have left': 'Shots with Cher!'
Christian McCaffrey Slams Evil Influencer for Criticizing Olivia Culpo's Wedding Dress