Current:Home > MarketsEthermac Exchange-On 3rd anniversary, Beirut port blast probe blocked by intrigue and even the death toll is disputed -Blueprint Money Mastery
Ethermac Exchange-On 3rd anniversary, Beirut port blast probe blocked by intrigue and even the death toll is disputed
Burley Garcia View
Date:2025-04-06 20:16:48
BEIRUT (AP) — Three years after Beirut’s massive port blast,Ethermac Exchange attempts to prosecute those responsible are mired in political intrigue, the final death toll remains disputed and many Lebanese have less faith than ever in their disintegrating state institutions.
As the country marks the anniversary Friday, relatives of some of those killed are still struggling to get their loved ones recognized as blast victims, reflecting the ongoing chaos since the Aug. 4, 2020 explosion. The blast killed at least 218 people, according to an Associated Press count, wounded more than 6,000, devastated large swaths of Beirut and caused billions of dollars in damages.
Among those not recognized as a blast victim is a five-month-old boy, Qusai Ramadan, a child of Syrian refugees. His parents say he was killed when the explosion toppled the ceiling and a cupboard in his hospital room, crushing him. The parents have been unable to get the infant added to the official death list, a move that could have made them eligible for future compensation.
They accused the authorities of discriminating against victims who are not Lebanese.
Meanwhile, the blast anniversary brought renewed calls for an international investigation of those responsible, including top officials who allowed hundreds of tons of highly flammable ammonium nitrate, a material used in fertilizers, to be improperly stored for years at a warehouse in the port.
Lebanese and international organizations, survivors and families of victims sent such an appeal to the U.N. Rights Council, saying that “on third anniversary of the explosion, we are no closer to justice and accountability for the catastrophe.”
Maan, a Lebanese group advocating for victims and survivors, put the death toll at 236, significantly higher than the government’s count of 191. The authorities stopped counting the dead a month after the blast, even as some of the severely wounded died in the subsequent period.
Among those listed by Maan Initiative is Qusai, the Syrian infant.
Qusai had been undergoing treatment for a severe liver condition and was transferred to a government hospital near the port about a week before the explosion. Hospital staff said the infant needed a liver transplant and was in critical condition.
On the day of the blast, Qusai’s aunt, Noura Mohammed, was sitting at his bedside while his mother rested at home. The aunt said the staff ordered everyone to evacuate immediately after the explosion, and that she found the infant dead, crushed by fallen debris, when she returned.
Hospital officials said Qusai died an hour after the explosion, with the death certificate listing cardio respiratory arrest as the cause. The family buried him a day later.
“We asked them (the authorities) to register my son among the victims of the blast,” his mother, Sarah Jassem Mohammed, said in a recent interview in a small tent in an orchard in the northern Lebanese village of Markabta where she lives with her husband, two sons and one daughter. “They refused.”
Lebanon is home to more than 1 million Syrian refugees, who make about 20% of the country’s population. A Lebanese group, the Anti-Racism Movement, said that among those killed in the blast were at least 76 non-Lebanese citizens, including 52 Syrians.
Meanwhile, many in Lebanon have been losing faith in the domestic investigation and some have started filing cases abroad against companies suspected of bringing in the ammonium nitrate.
The chemicals had been shipped to Lebanon in 2013. Senior political and security officials knew of their presence and potential danger but did nothing.
Lebanese and non-Lebanese victims alike have seen justice delayed, with the investigation stalled since December 2021. Lebanon’s powerful and corrupt political class has repeatedly intervened in the work of the judiciary.
In January, Lebanon’s top prosecutor Ghassan Oueidat ordered the release of all suspects detained in the investigation.
“The political class have used every tool at their disposal - both legal and extra legal - to undermine, obstruct, and block the domestic investigation into the blast,” said Aya Majzoub, deputy chief for the Mideast and North Africa at the rights group Amnesty International.
Makhoul Mohammed, 40, a Syrian citizen, was lightly injured in the blast in his Beirut apartment while his daughter Sama, who was six at the time, lost her left eye.
Mohammed, who settled in Canada last year, said he plans to sue those responsible for the explosion in a Canadian court.
“The (domestic) investigation will not lead to results as long as this political class is running the country,” he said.
veryGood! (4)
Related
- Bodycam footage shows high
- Delta Air Lines planes collide on Atlanta taxiway but no one is hurt
- Jana Duggar Details Picking Out “Stunning” Dress and Venue for Wedding to Stephen Wissmann
- Books like ACOTAR: Spicy fantasy books to read after ‘A Court of Thorns and Roses’
- Chuck Scarborough signs off: Hoda Kotb, Al Roker tribute legendary New York anchor
- Fine Particulate Matter Air Pollutants, Known as PM2.5, Have Led to Disproportionately High Deaths Among Black Americans
- Colorado man dies on Colorado River trip; 7th fatality at Grand Canyon National Park since July 31
- New Jersey Democrat George Helmy sworn in as replacement for Menendez in the Senate
- Rolling Loud 2024: Lineup, how to stream the world's largest hip hop music festival
- Missouri handler charged in hot car death of of K-9 officer: Reports
Ranking
- Mets have visions of grandeur, and a dynasty, with Juan Soto as major catalyst
- Aaron Rodgers will make his return to the field for the Jets against the 49ers
- A Boeing strike is looking more likely. The union president expects workers to reject contract offer
- When heat hurts: ER doctors treat heatstroke, contact burns on Phoenix's hottest days
- Tom Holland's New Venture Revealed
- Dakota Johnson Thought Energy Drink Celsius Was, Um, a Vitamin—And the Result Is Chaos
- Shaq calls Caitlin Clark the 'real deal,' dismisses Barkley comments about pettiness
- Steelers plan to start Justin Fields at QB in Week 2 as Russell Wilson deals with injury
Recommendation
At site of suspected mass killings, Syrians recall horrors, hope for answers
Kentucky bourbon icon Jimmy Russell celebrates his 70th anniversary at Wild Turkey
Nevada GOP politician who ran for state treasurer headed toward trial in fundraising fraud case
New Jersey Democrat George Helmy sworn in as replacement for Menendez in the Senate
Could your smelly farts help science?
Sarah Hyland Loves Products That Make Her Life Easier -- Check Out Her Must-Haves & Couch Rot Essentials
Barrel Jeans Are the New Denim Trend -- Shop the Best Deals from Madewell, Target & More, Starting at $8
Fourth death linked to Legionnaires’ disease cluster at New York assisted living facility