Current:Home > NewsTradeEdge Exchange:A voter’s challenge to having Trump’s name on North Carolina’s primary ballot has been dismissed -Blueprint Money Mastery
TradeEdge Exchange:A voter’s challenge to having Trump’s name on North Carolina’s primary ballot has been dismissed
Algosensey Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 16:32:30
RALEIGH,TradeEdge Exchange N.C. (AP) — North Carolina’s election board threw out on Tuesday a voter’s challenge to keep former President Donald Trump off the March presidential primary ballots that argues that the Constitution disqualifies Trump because of his role in the Jan. 6, 2021, attack on the U.S. Capitol.
The State Board of Elections, composed of three Democrats and two Republicans, voted 4-1 to dismiss the candidate challenge made by Brian Martin, of Stokes County. The majority determined that it lacked the authority in state law to consider such a challenge. The rejection of the challenge could be appealed to state court.
Martin, a business consultant and retired lawyer, wrote that Trump wasn’t qualified to be president because he violated a section of the 14th Amendment that bars from office anyone who once took an oath to uphold the Constitution but then “engaged” in “insurrection or rebellion” against it. The provision was used primarily after the Civil War to keep former confederates out of government.
Trump opponents argue the section applies to the ex-president for his part in trying to overturn the 2020 presidential election and encouraging his backers to storm the U.S. Capitol. Lawsuits in other states seeking to keep him off the ballot have been unsuccessful.
Board members said Tuesday that the ruling didn’t prevent someone from trying to challenge Trump’s candidacy for the general election should he win the GOP nomination, WRAL-TV reported. Siobhan Millen, a Democrat and the lone vote against dismissing the challenge, said the board was “hiding behind a technicality” to avoid the issue now.
The dismissal came as the state board gave initial approval to names of the presidential candidates that will be on the March 5 primary ballots for the Democratic, Republican and Libertarian parties.
The board approved the candidates offered by party leaders earlier this month. The board will meet Jan. 2 to consider additional names before ballots are printed.
State law directed the parties earlier this month to provide lists that must have candidates “whose candidacy is generally advocated and recognized in the news media throughout the United States or in North Carolina.”
The state Democratic Party listed only President Joe Biden. Other announced candidates like U.S. Rep. Dean Phillips, D-Minn., and Marianne Williamson were omitted.
In addition to Trump, the state GOP’s letter identified Ryan Binkley, Chris Christie, Ron DeSantis, Nikki Haley, Asa Hutchinson and Vivek Ramaswamy. The Libertarian Party listed 10 names for their presidential primary ballot.
The Green Party and the No Labels Party also are official parties in North Carolina. They can offer presidential tickets in 2024 to place on the general election ballots.
veryGood! (944)
Related
- Trump invites nearly all federal workers to quit now, get paid through September
- Buffalo Bills coach Sean McDermott 'regretted' using 9/11 reference in 2019 team meeting
- Air Force major says he feared his powerlifting wife
- Lawmakers seek action against Elf Bar and other fruity e-cigarettes imported from China
- Kylie Jenner Shows Off Sweet Notes From Nieces Dream Kardashian & Chicago West
- Michigan State selects UNC-Chapel Hill chancellor as next president
- Bills coach Sean McDermott apologizes for crediting 9/11 hijackers for their coordination while talking to team in 2019
- Indonesia suspects human trafficking is behind the increasing number of Rohingya refugees
- Opinion: Gianni Infantino, FIFA sell souls and 2034 World Cup for Saudi Arabia's billions
- What makes food insecurity worse? When everything else costs more too, Americans say
Ranking
- Head of the Federal Aviation Administration to resign, allowing Trump to pick his successor
- Missouri House Democrat is kicked off committees after posting photo with alleged Holocaust denier
- Sulfuric acid spills on Atlanta highway; 2 taken to hospital after containers overturn
- The IOC confirms Russian athletes can compete at Paris Olympics with approved neutral status
- Federal court filings allege official committed perjury in lawsuit tied to Louisiana grain terminal
- Bulgarian parliament again approves additional military aid to Ukraine
- As Pakistan cracks down on illegal migrants, nearly half a million Afghans have left, minister says
- 3 fascinating details from ESPN report on Brittney Griner's time in Russian prison
Recommendation
Trump suggestion that Egypt, Jordan absorb Palestinians from Gaza draws rejections, confusion
Virginia woman wins $777,777 from scratch-off but says 'I was calm'
Organized retail crime figure retracted by retail lobbyists
Utah attorney general drops reelection bid amid scrutiny about his ties to a sexual assault suspect
Head of the Federal Aviation Administration to resign, allowing Trump to pick his successor
Mexican immigration agents detain 2 Iranians who they say were under observation by the FBI
Woman arrested after trying to pour gasoline on Martin Luther King's birth home, police say
What's making us happy: A guide to your weekend viewing and gaming