Current:Home > ScamsNavy issues written reprimands for fuel spill that sickened 6,000 people at Pearl Harbor base -Blueprint Money Mastery
Navy issues written reprimands for fuel spill that sickened 6,000 people at Pearl Harbor base
TrendPulse View
Date:2025-04-06 13:15:17
HONOLULU (AP) — The Navy on Thursday issued written reprimands to three now-retired military officers for their roles in the spill of jet fuel into Pearl Harbor’s drinking water in 2021 but did not fire, suspend, dock the pay or reduce the rank of anyone for the incident.
The spill from the Red Hill Bulk Fuel Storage Facility poisoned thousands of military families and continues to threaten the purity of Honolulu’s water supply.
Navy Secretary Carlos Del Toro issued censure letters to the three rear admirals, the Navy said in a news release. He also revoked personal military decorations awarded to five rear admirals, three captains and one commander.
“Taking accountability is a step in restoring trust in our relationship with the community,” Del Toro said in a statement.
The spill “was not acceptable,” and the Navy will continue “to take every action to identify and remedy this issue,” he said.
A Navy investigation last year concluded a series of errors caused the fuel to leak into a well that supplied water to housing and offices in and around Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam. About 6,000 people suffered nausea, headaches, rashes and other symptoms.
The investigation concluded operator error caused a pipe to rupture when fuel was being transferred between tanks on May 6, 2021, leading 21,000 gallons (80,000 liters) to spill. Most of this liquid flowed into a fire suppression line and sat there for six months, causing the line to sag. A cart then rammed into the drooping line on Nov. 20, releasing 20,000 gallons (75,700 liters) of fuel that entered a French drain and the drinking water well.
The episode upset people across Hawaii, including, veterans, environmentalists, Native Hawaiians, liberals and conservatives.
After months of resistance, the military agreed to an order from the state of Hawaii to drain the World War II-era tanks. It has spent the past year repairing equipment at the facility to safely remove the fuel beginning next month. It expects to finish by Jan. 19.
Three officers received letters of censure from Del Toro: Retired Rear Adm. Peter Stamatopoulos, who was the commander of Naval Supply Systems Command during the May and November spills; Rear Adm. (retired) John Korka, who was commander of the Navy Facilities Engineering Command Pacific before the two spills; and Rear Adm. (retired) Timothy Kott, who was the commander of Navy Region Hawaii during the November spill.
U.S. Sen. Mazie Hirono, a Democrat from Hawaii, said in a statement that true accountability for the disaster would require the Navy to address “systemic command and control failures, and a lack of requisite attention to infrastructure.”
She noted the Navy’s investigation found that a culture of complacency, a lack of critical thinking, and a lack of timely communication contributed to the spill.
“I have yet to see adequate evidence that Navy leadership is treating these service-wide issues with the seriousness or urgency they demand,” Hirono said in a statement.
Hirono, who is a member of the Senate Armed Services Committee, said she would continue pushing the Navy to make these systemic changes.
veryGood! (47)
Related
- In ‘Nickel Boys,’ striving for a new way to see
- Natalee Holloway Disappearance Case: Suspect Joran van der Sloot to Be Extradited to the U.S.
- Elliot Page Shares Shirtless Selfie While Reflecting on Dysphoria Journey
- Rhode Island Sues Oil Companies Over Climate Change, First State in Wave of Lawsuits
- Toyota to invest $922 million to build a new paint facility at its Kentucky complex
- Mary-Kate Olsen Is Ready for a Holiday in the Sun During Rare Public Outing
- Rihanna and A$AP Rocky's Baby Boy's Name Revealed
- NOAA Lowers Hurricane Season Forecast, Says El Niño Likely on the Way
- This was the average Social Security benefit in 2004, and here's what it is now
- Today’s Climate: August 20, 2010
Ranking
- Arkansas State Police probe death of woman found after officer
- Authorities are urging indoor masking in major cities as the 'tripledemic' rages
- How Medicare Advantage plans dodged auditors and overcharged taxpayers by millions
- Russian state media says U.S. citizen has been detained on drug charges
- Who are the most valuable sports franchises? Forbes releases new list of top 50 teams
- In the hunt for a male contraceptive, scientists look to stop sperm in their tracks
- He started protesting about his middle school principal. Now he's taking on Big Oil
- White House: Raising Coal Royalties a Boon for Taxpayers, and for the Climate
Recommendation
South Korean president's party divided over defiant martial law speech
Diamond diggers in South Africa's deserted mines break the law — and risk their lives
Mama June Shannon Reveals She Spent $1 Million on Drugs Amid Addiction
The Bombshell Vanderpump Rules Reunion Finally Has a Premiere Date
Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Hi Hi!
Jena Antonucci becomes first female trainer to win Belmont Stakes after Arcangelo finishes first
An art exhibit on the National Mall honors health care workers who died of COVID
Huge Second Quarter Losses for #1 Wind Turbine Maker, Shares Plummet