Current:Home > InvestEnvironmentalists suffer another setback in fight to shutter California’s last nuclear power plant -Blueprint Money Mastery
Environmentalists suffer another setback in fight to shutter California’s last nuclear power plant
PredictIQ Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 12:57:53
LOS ANGELES (AP) — Federal regulators Wednesday rejected a request from two environmental groups to immediately shut down one of two reactors at California’s last nuclear power plant.
Friends of the Earth and Mothers for Peace said in a petition filed last month with the Nuclear Regulatory Commission that long-postponed tests needed to be conducted on critical machinery at the Diablo Canyon Nuclear Power Plant, located midway between Los Angeles and San Francisco. They argued the equipment could fail and cause a catastrophe.
In an order dated Tuesday, the NRC took no action on the request to immediately shut down the Unit 1 reactor and instead asked agency staff to review it.
The NRC also rejected a request to convene a hearing to reconsider a 2003 decision by staff to extend the testing schedule for the Unit 1 pressure vessel until 2025. The vessels are thick steel containers that hold nuclear fuel and cooling water in the reactors.
According to the groups, the last inspections on the vessel took place between 2003 and 2005. The utility postponed further testing in favor of using results from similar reactors to justify continued operations, they said.
The commission found there was no justification for a hearing.
The groups said in a statement that the decision showed “a complete lack of concern for the safety and security of the people living near” the plant, which started operating in the mid-1980s.
Operator Pacific Gas & Electric had said the plant was in “full compliance” with industry guidance and regulatory standards for monitoring and evaluating the safety of the reactor vessels.
The petition marked the latest development in a long fight over the operation and safety of the seaside plant, which sits on a bluff above the Pacific Ocean. In August, a state judge rejected a lawsuit filed by Friends of the Earth that sought to block PG&E from seeking to extend the operating life of the plant.
PG&E agreed in 2016 to shutter the plant by 2025, but at the direction of the state changed course and now intends to seek a longer operating run for the twin reactors. Democratic Gov. Gavin Newsom, who once was a leading voice to close the plant, said last year that Diablo Canyon’s power is needed beyond 2025 to ward off possible blackouts as California transitions to solar and other renewable energy sources.
veryGood! (1367)
Related
- Civic engagement nonprofits say democracy needs support in between big elections. Do funders agree?
- Greg Norman shows up at Augusta National to support LIV golfers at Masters
- Disney fires back at Gina Carano over 'Mandalorian' firing lawsuit: 'Disney had enough'
- Meet The Real Housewives of Dubai's Fiery New Housewife in Sizzling Season 2 Trailer
- See you latte: Starbucks plans to cut 30% of its menu
- 11-year-old Georgia girl dies saving her dog from house fire; services set
- Woman found slain 38 years ago in California identified with DNA testing
- Washington man pleads guilty to groping woman on San Diego to Seattle flight
- The Daily Money: Spending more on holiday travel?
- Man arrested for allegedly taking a decommissioned NYC fireboat for an overnight cruise
Ranking
- Apple iOS 18.2: What to know about top features, including Genmoji, AI updates
- Alabama lawmakers advance bill to define sex based on reproductive systems, not identity
- Father is attacked in courtroom brawl after he pleads guilty to murdering his three children
- Thirteen men plead not guilty for role in Brooklyn synagogue tunnel scuffle
- Woman dies after Singapore family of 3 gets into accident in Taiwan
- Robert De Niro and Tiffany Chen attend White House state dinner, Paul Simon performs: Photos
- Lawyers defending youth center against abuse allegations highlight former resident’s misbehavior
- Louisiana lawmakers quietly advance two controversial bills as severe weather hits the state
Recommendation
IRS recovers $4.7 billion in back taxes and braces for cuts with Trump and GOP in power
Former Arizona Gov. Doug Ducey says the abortion ruling from justices he chose goes too far
So You Think You Can Dance Alum Korra Obidi Stabbed and Attacked With Acid in London
Lululemon's We Made Too Much Drop Includes Their Fan-Favorite Align Tank Top For Just $39 & Much More
Questlove charts 50 years of SNL musical hits (and misses)
Paul Mescal, Pedro Pascal go into bloody battle in epic first 'Gladiator 2' footage
The show goes on for Paramount with ‘Gladiator II,’ a new Damien Chazelle movie and more
Taylor Swift's music is back on TikTok a week before the release of 'Tortured Poets'