Current:Home > MarketsRekubit-Australia launches inquiry into why Cabinet documents relating to Iraq war remain secret -Blueprint Money Mastery
Rekubit-Australia launches inquiry into why Cabinet documents relating to Iraq war remain secret
Indexbit Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 15:21:15
CANBERRA,Rekubit Australia (AP) — Prime Minister Anthony Albanese ordered an inquiry into why 20-year-old Cabinet documents relating to Australia joining the United States-led Iraq invasion remain secret, saying Wednesday that Australians have a right to know why their country went to war in 2003.
On Monday, the National Archives of Australia released 2003 Cabinet records in keeping with an annual Jan. 1 practice following the expiration of a 20-year secrecy provision.
But 78 documents relating to the Iraq war were withheld because they were prepared for the National Security Committee, a subset of Cabinet ministers who make decisions relating to national security and foreign policy.
Committing Australia to war was the committee’s decision.
Albanese blamed the former conservative government of Prime Minister Scott Morrison for failing to follow the usual practice of handing over all documents to the archive three years before their due release date.
Retired public servant Dennis Richardson had been appointed to investigate over two weeks whether the documents had been withheld as part of a political cover up, Albanese said.
A former conservative government’s decision to send Australian combat troops to back U.S. and British forces in the Iraq invasion was opposed by Albanese’s center-left Labor Party, then in opposition, and triggered Australia’s biggest street protests since the Vietnam War.
Albanese said the archive should release the documents once they have been examined for any national security issues that could exempt them from rules mandating they be made public after 20 years.
“Let me make it very clear of what my government’s position is: Australians have a right to know the basis upon which Australia went to war in Iraq,” Albanese told reporters.
“If this doesn’t occur, we’ll look at whether the government needs to take further action to ensure that there’s transparency here,” Albanese added.
The government department responsible for passing the documents to the archive blamed “administrative oversights” likely caused by pandemic disruption for them not reaching the archive in 2020.
The department said in a statement the archive now had the documents and would consult with security agencies before deciding whether they could be released.
The archive said in a statement it would decide within 90 business days” whether the documents would be made public. The archive had received the documents on New Year’s Eve and was giving priority to examining them, the statement said.
veryGood! (61625)
Related
- Rylee Arnold Shares a Long
- NBA Star Blake Griffin Announces Retirement
- Trump Media plunges amid plan to issue more shares. It's lost $7 billion in value since its peak.
- A top Federal Reserve official opens door to keeping rates high for longer
- Paige Bueckers vs. Hannah Hidalgo highlights women's basketball games to watch
- Travis Kelce named host of ‘Are You Smarter than a Celebrity?’ for Prime Video
- 'All these genres living in me': Origin stories of the women on Beyoncé's 'Blackbiird'
- Ex-Marine sentenced to 9 years in prison for firebombing California Planned Parenthood clinic
- NFL Week 15 picks straight up and against spread: Bills, Lions put No. 1 seed hopes on line
- Kentucky ballot measure should resolve school-choice debate, Senate leader says
Ranking
- A South Texas lawmaker’s 15
- NCAA sanctions Michigan with probation and recruiting penalties for football violations
- First 7 jurors seated in Trump trial as judge warns former president about comments
- IRS reprieve: Places granted tax relief due to natural disasters
- All That You Wanted to Know About She’s All That
- Shannen Doherty Shares Lessons Learned From Brutal Marriage to Ex Kurt Iswarienko
- Saint Levant, rapper raised in Gaza, speaks out on 'brutal genocide' during Coachella set
- TikToker Nara Smith Details Postpartum Journey After Giving Birth to Baby No. 3 With Lucky Blue Smith
Recommendation
Trump's 'stop
Imprisoned drug-diluting pharmacist to be moved to halfway house soon, victims’ lawyer says
Ex-Piston Will Bynum sentenced to 18 months in prison in NBA insurance fraud scheme
Charlize Theron's Daughter August Looks So Grown Up in Rare Public Appearance
Bodycam footage shows high
Alabama Barker Shuts Down “Delusional” Speculation About Her Appearance
Man gets 4 death sentences for kidnapping, rape and murder of 5-year-old Georgia girl
Duchess Meghan teases first product from American Riviera Orchard lifestyle brand