Current:Home > ScamsMan suspected of shooting 6-month-old son in hostage standoff near Phoenix apparently killed himself -Blueprint Money Mastery
Man suspected of shooting 6-month-old son in hostage standoff near Phoenix apparently killed himself
Indexbit Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 15:58:52
SURPRISE, Ariz. (AP) — A man suspected of shooting his 6-month-old son multiple times after taking the boy and his mother hostage was found dead of an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound in the rubble of a suburban Phoenix home that caught fire during a SWAT standoff, police said Saturday.
The boy was reported in critical but stable condition at a local hospital Saturday, Surprise police said in a statement. They said earlier his injuries suffered the day before were not believed to be life-threatening.
Officers went to the home in the city of Surprise northwest of Phoenix in response to an emergency call around 11:30 a.m. Friday from a woman who said she and her baby had been held captive there since 3 a.m. by the child’s father, police said.
The mother escaped with minor injuries and called 911 with a cellphone she said she borrowed from a nearby construction crew.
Police heard gunfire from inside the house as they arrived, Surprise Police Sgt. Rick Hernandez said. They entered and found the baby with multiple gunshot wounds but did not see the father. They retrieved the child and retreated.
The dead man, identified Saturday as 51-year-old Todd Christopher Marchetti, had repeatedly refused to peacefully surrender. Fire damage to the home initially prevented authorities from finding him, Hernandez said earlier Saturday.
“Once it was safe for investigators to enter the residence, they discovered the remains of Marchetti with what appears to be a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head. The cause of death is still pending the results of the medical examiner’s full report,” police said in the statement late Saturday.
Aerial videos and photos from the afternoon showed a thick plume of smoke rising from the severely damaged house.
Surprise police scheduled a news conference Monday to provide additional details on the ongoing investigation, Hernandez said.
veryGood! (9729)
Related
- As Trump Enters Office, a Ripe Oil and Gas Target Appears: An Alabama National Forest
- 'At least I can collect my thoughts': Florida man stranded 12 miles out at sea recounts rescue
- Microsoft’s revamped $69 billion deal for Activision is on the cusp of going through
- This week on Sunday Morning (September 24)
- Hackers hit Rhode Island benefits system in major cyberattack. Personal data could be released soon
- A million-dollar fossil, and other indicators
- Clemson, Dabo Swinney facing turning point ahead of showdown with No. 3 Florida State
- What we know about Atlanta man's death at hands of police
- 2 killed, 3 injured in shooting at makeshift club in Houston
- Tennessee judges side with Nashville in fight over fairgrounds speedway
Ranking
- Travis Hunter, the 2
- Back at old job, Anthony Mackie lends star power to New Orleans’ post-Ida roof repair effort
- New Jersey Sen. Robert Menendez and wife indicted on federal bribery charges
- Massachusetts has a huge waitlist for state-funded housing. So why are 2,300 units vacant?
- Travis Hunter, the 2
- AP Week in Pictures: Latin America and Caribbean
- Singer Sufjan Stevens relearning to walk after Guillain-Barré syndrome diagnosis
- 'At least I can collect my thoughts': Florida man stranded 12 miles out at sea recounts rescue
Recommendation
Small twin
A Taylor Swift Instagram post helped drive a surge in voter registration
High-speed trains begin making trip between Orlando and Miami
The 'lifetime assignment' of love: DAWN reflects on 'Narcissus' and opens a new chapter
Federal appeals court upholds $14.25 million fine against Exxon for pollution in Texas
Book bans continue to rise in US public schools, libraries: 'Attacks on our freedom'
From 'Fast X' to Pixar's 'Elemental,' here are 15 movies you need to stream right now
A million-dollar fossil, and other indicators