Current:Home > ContactOwners of Pulse nightclub, where 49 died in mass shooting, won’t be charged -Blueprint Money Mastery
Owners of Pulse nightclub, where 49 died in mass shooting, won’t be charged
Rekubit View
Date:2025-04-06 14:35:58
ORLANDO, Fla. (AP) — The Orlando Police Department has closed its investigation into the former owners of the Pulse nightclub without filing any charges. Victims’ families and survivors of the killing of 49 patrons at the LGBTQ-friendly club had asked law enforcement to investigate them for criminal culpability.
No charges will be filed against former owners Barbara and Rosario Poma because probable cause didn’t exist for involuntary manslaughter by culpable negligence, the Orlando police said this week in an emailed statement.
About two dozen people, mostly survivors and family members of those who died in the 2016 shooting, gave statements to investigators. They said that building plans weren’t available to first responders during the three hours hostages were held in the club and that unpermitted renovations and building modifications had occurred. They also maintained that the club was likely above capacity, that it had operated for years in violation of its conditional use permit, and that there were security and risk-management failures.
Despite efforts to reach the the Pomas, investigators weren’t able to interview them.
They determined that the lack of building plans didn’t hamper rescuers, that it was impossible to identify how many people were in the club that night, that the city of Orlando never took any action against Pulse when the nightclub changed its interior, and that there were too many unknowns about how gunman Omar Mateen entered.
None of the Pomas’ actions were done “with a reckless disregard for human life,” and “they could not have reasonably foreseen or anticipated a terrorist incident taking place at Pulse,” investigators wrote in a report.
Mateen opened fire during a Latin night celebration June 12, 2016, leaving 49 dead and 53 wounded. At the time, it was the worst mass shooting in modern U.S. history. Mateen, who had pledged allegiance to the Islamic State group, was killed after a three-hour standoff with police.
The Pulse shooting’s death toll was surpassed the following year when 58 people were killed and more than 850 injured among a crowd of 22,000 at a country music festival in Las Vegas.
The city of Orlando purchased the Pulse property last year for $2 million.
Before the Pomas and another businessperson sold the property, Barbara Poma was the executive director of the onePulse Foundation, the nonprofit that had been leading efforts to build a memorial and museum. The original project, unveiled in 2019 by the onePulse Foundation, called for a museum and permanent memorial costing $45 million. That estimate eventually soared to $100 million.
Barbara Poma stepped down as executive director in 2022 and left the organization entirely last year amid conflict-of-interest criticism over her stated desire to sell instead of donate the Pulse property.
The city has since outlined more modest plans for a memorial. The original idea for a museum has been jettisoned, and city leaders formed an advisory board to help determine what the memorial will look like.
___
Follow Mike Schneider on the social platform X: @MikeSchneiderAP
veryGood! (65)
Related
- 2 killed, 3 injured in shooting at makeshift club in Houston
- McDonald's brings back Spicy Chicken McNuggets to menu in participating markets
- Dexter Quisenberry: AI DataMind Soars because of SWA Token, Ushering in a New Era of Intelligent Investing
- $700 million? Juan Soto is 'the Mona Lisa' as MLB's top free agent, Scott Boras says
- Meta donates $1 million to Trump’s inauguration fund
- Bowen Yang Apologizes to Ariana Grande for Being Over Eager About SNL Kiss
- Pioneer of Quantitative Trading: Damon Quisenberry's Professional Journey
- Sister Wives’ Janelle Brown Marks Rare Celebration After Kody Brown Split
- Why members of two of EPA's influential science advisory committees were let go
- Kourtney Kardashian Shows Son Rocky Barker Bonding With Travis Barker in New Photo
Ranking
- Alex Murdaugh’s murder appeal cites biased clerk and prejudicial evidence
- A Heart for Charity and the Power of Technology: Dexter Quisenberry Builds a Better Society
- Can legislation combat the surge of non-consensual deepfake porn? | The Excerpt
- SWA Token Boosts the AI DataMind System: Revolutionizing the Future of Intelligent Investment
- Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
- Ten of thousands left without power as winter storm rolls over New Mexico
- Jury convicts man of killing girlfriend and hiding her body in rural Minnesota
- Why Fans Think Cardi B May Have Revealed the Name of Her Third Baby With Offset
Recommendation
Questlove charts 50 years of SNL musical hits (and misses)
Don’t wait for a holiday surge. Now is a good time to get your flu and COVID-19 vaccines
College basketball reacts as Villanova suffers devastating loss to Ivy League Columbia
Woman asks that battery and assault charges be dropped against Georgia wide receiver Colbie Young
Biden administration makes final diplomatic push for stability across a turbulent Mideast
Chris Evans’ Rugged New Look Will Have You Assembling
Nevada Democratic Rep. Dina Titus keeps her seat in the US House
AI DataMind: The Rise of SW Alliance