Current:Home > MarketsColdplay perform Taylor Swift song in Vienna after thwarted terrorist plot -Blueprint Money Mastery
Coldplay perform Taylor Swift song in Vienna after thwarted terrorist plot
EchoSense Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-05 23:21:21
Taylor Swift's Vienna shows may have been canceled, but Coldplay's Chris Martin is ensuring her music is still played in the city.
During a concert on Wednesday at Vienna's Ernst Happel Stadium, Martin was joined by Maggie Rogers to perform Swift's song "Love Story," as seen in a YouTube video of the moment.
The tribute came two weeks after three of Swift's shows at the Ernst Happel Stadium were canceled as authorities said an alleged terrorist attack on the concert had been thwarted.
Speaking to fans during Wednesday's performance, Martin addressed the fact that Vienna "was in the news all over the world for all the wrong reasons" recently but said the band was touched by the "beauty and the togetherness and the kindness" Swift's fans have showed.
"I don't want to let you think that we don't care about Swifties in our band," Martin said before asking fans to find the "biggest Swiftie that you know" in the crowd.
Need a break? Play the USA TODAY Daily Crossword Puzzle.
The singer then brought two Swift fans onto the stage while he and Rogers performed "Love Story," a song which is a part of Swift's "Fearless" section in the Eras tour.
"We sing this song with so much love for Taylor, with so much love for Swifties, and we sing this song with love for young people who are brainwashed into doing stupid (expletive)," Martin said. "We send them our love, too."
Taylor Swiftterrorist threat suspect confessed he intended to kill fans: Officials
He also joked, "If this is not good, please don't put it on YouTube, because I don't want to get in trouble with Taylor."
Coldplay tribute comes as Taylor Swift breaks silence on canceled Vienna shows
Authorities said a 19-year-old suspect intended to kill "as many people as possible" in an attack on Swift's Vienna show involving "bladed weapons as well as the construction of a bomb."
Taylor Swiftbreaks silence on 'devastating' alleged Vienna terrorist plot
On Wednesday, Swift addressed the canceled Vienna shows for the first time in an Instagram post, telling fans "the reason for the cancellations filled me with a new sense of fear, and a tremendous amount of guilt because so many people had planned on coming to those shows."
Swift, who continued her tour in London after the Vienna shows were canceled, also explained why she had not previously addressed the situation.
"Let me be very clear: I am not going to speak about something publicly if I think doing so might provoke those who would want to harm the fans who come to my shows," she wrote. "In cases like this one, 'silence' is actually showing restraint, and waiting to express yourself at a time when it's right to. My priority was finishing our European tour safely, and it is with great relief that I can say we did that."
veryGood! (67467)
Related
- Bodycam footage shows high
- What cognitive tests can show — and what they can’t
- Pennsylvania's new license plate is a patriotic tribute ahead of America's 250th birthday
- Death of man pinned by hotel guards in Milwaukee is reviewed as a homicide, prosecutors say
- NFL Week 15 picks straight up and against spread: Bills, Lions put No. 1 seed hopes on line
- Dyson to cut 1,000 jobs in the U.K.
- Carol Bongiovi, Jon Bon Jovi's mother, dies at 83
- Flood watch in Vermont as state marks anniversary of last year’s severe inundations
- Selena Gomez's "Weird Uncles" Steve Martin and Martin Short React to Her Engagement
- Oklahoma State coach Mike Gundy says Ollie Gordon II won't miss any games after arrest
Ranking
- House passes bill to add 66 new federal judgeships, but prospects murky after Biden veto threat
- Tax preparation company Intuit to lay off 1,800 as part of an AI-focused reorganization plan
- Tennessee sheriff pleads not guilty to using prison labor for personal profit
- Forced labor, same-sex marriage and shoplifting are all on the ballot in California this November
- The city of Chicago is ordered to pay nearly $80M for a police chase that killed a 10
- Olivia Munn Marries John Mulaney in Private New York Ceremony
- 'It's absolutely nothing': Cowboys QB Dak Prescott dismisses concerns about ankle
- U.N. experts say Gaza children dying in Israeli targeted starvation campaign
Recommendation
'Most Whopper
His brother was found dead, his mother was arrested before this baby was found crawling by a highway
Team USA's final roster is set for the 2024 Paris Olympics. Here's a closer look
Wisconsin secretary of state settles open records lawsuit brought by conservatives
IRS recovers $4.7 billion in back taxes and braces for cuts with Trump and GOP in power
California fast food workers now earn $20 per hour. Franchisees are responding by cutting hours.
Carol Bongiovi, Jon Bon Jovi's mother, dies at 83
NHRA icon John Force transferred from hospital to rehab center after fiery crash