Current:Home > FinanceAttorneys for college taken over by DeSantis allies threaten to sue ‘alternate’ school -Blueprint Money Mastery
Attorneys for college taken over by DeSantis allies threaten to sue ‘alternate’ school
Johnathan Walker View
Date:2025-04-06 18:21:50
SARASOTA, Fla. (AP) — Attorneys for New College of Florida, the traditionally progressive public liberal arts college that was taken over by allies of Gov. Ron DeSantis as part of his “war on woke,” last week threatened to sue a group of former faculty members and students who have formed an alternative online institute named “Alt New College” after departing the school following the takeover.
Alt New College says on its website that it was created to teach free and subsidized courses and to preserve the original educational philosophy of the school following the “hostile takeover” of New College of Florida earlier this year.
“Over time, we hope to build an online institute that helps protect other communities facing similar attacks,” the Alt New College website said. “What is happening at New College of Florida is part of a national strategy to overtake public education and subvert a fundamental pillar of democracy.”
Among those backing the effort are former New College provosts, Bard College in New York and PEN America, a free expression advocacy group.
But attorneys for Sarasota, Florida-based New College said in a letter last Thursday that the online institute may be violating the school’s trademark and is likely to cause confusion. The attorneys demanded that Alt New College stop using the “New College” name.
“These actions have caused and will cause damage and irreparable harm to New College,” the letter said.
New College has become a focal point of a campaign by DeSantis, a candidate for the 2024 Republican presidential nomination, to rid higher education in the state of what he calls left-leaning “woke” indoctrination on campuses.
New trustees allied with DeSantis fired the school’s president in favor of former state House Speaker Richard Corcoran as interim president and scrapped the college’s small office of diversity, equity and inclusion. The trustees also have denied tenure to five professors despite criticism that such a move poses a threat to academic freedom.
More than a third of the school’s faculty members have left following the change and scores of students also have transferred.
The conservative takeover has gained national attention, prompting a visit in April by Democratic Gov. Gavin Newsom of California in which he sharply criticized DeSantis and the changes under way at New College.
veryGood! (39336)
Related
- Man can't find second winning lottery ticket, sues over $394 million jackpot, lawsuit says
- 'A real tight-knit group:' Military unit mourns after 2 soldiers killed in Alaska vehicle crash
- 'Hit Man': Netflix's true-crime comedy nearly went to Brad Pitt
- Lahaina residents deliver petition asking Hawaii governor to delay tourism reopening
- Intel's stock did something it hasn't done since 2022
- The world's oldest mummies are decomposing after 7,000 years. Here's why.
- Kentucky’s Democratic Governor Steers Clear of a Climate Agenda in His Bid to Fend Off a Mitch McConnell Protege
- Cases affected by California county’s illegal use of jail informants jumps to 57, new analysis finds
- Federal appeals court upholds $14.25 million fine against Exxon for pollution in Texas
- Student loan borrowers are facing nightmare customer service issues, prompting outcry from states
Ranking
- Who are the most valuable sports franchises? Forbes releases new list of top 50 teams
- Global Red Cross urges ouster of Belarus chapter chief over the deportation of Ukrainian children
- Ex-CEO of Abercrombie & Fitch accused of sexually exploiting young men: BBC report
- Snoop Dogg calls Deion Sanders, wants to send message to new star receiver at Colorado
- IRS recovers $4.7 billion in back taxes and braces for cuts with Trump and GOP in power
- Shares in Scandinavian Airlines plunge to become almost worthless after rescue deal announced
- Federal government to conduct nationwide emergency alert test Wednesday via mobile phones, cable TV
- Denver Broncos to release veteran pass rusher Randy Gregory, per reports
Recommendation
Rams vs. 49ers highlights: LA wins rainy defensive struggle in key divisional game
Global Red Cross urges ouster of Belarus chapter chief over the deportation of Ukrainian children
Myanmar guerrilla group claims it killed a businessman who helped supply arms to the military
The $22 Cult-Fave Beauty Product Sofia Franklyn Always Has in Her Bag
Israel lets Palestinians go back to northern Gaza for first time in over a year as cease
Suspect at large after five people injured in shooting at Morgan State University
Point of no return: Pope challenges leaders at UN talks to slow global warming before it’s too late
Abercrombie & Fitch ex-CEO Mike Jeffries accused of exploiting men for sex through organized operation