Current:Home > NewsJudge nixes bid to restrict Trump statements that could endanger officers in classified records case -Blueprint Money Mastery
Judge nixes bid to restrict Trump statements that could endanger officers in classified records case
Oliver James Montgomery View
Date:2025-04-06 13:46:03
WASHINGTON (AP) — The judge overseeing Donald Trump’s classified documents case in Florida on Tuesday denied prosecutors’ request to bar the former president from making public statements that could endanger law enforcement agents participating in the prosecution.
U.S. District Judge Aileen Cannon said in her order that prosecutors on special counsel Jack Smith’s team didn’t give defense lawyers adequate time to discuss the request before it was filed Friday evening. She denied the request without prejudice, meaning prosecutors could file it again.
The request followed a distorted claim by Trump last week that the FBI agents who searched his Mar-a-Lago estate in August 2022 were “authorized to shoot me” and were “locked & loaded ready to take me out & put my family in danger.”
The presumptive Republican presidential nominee was referring to the disclosure in a court document that the FBI, during the search in Palm Beach, Florida, followed a standard use-of-force policy that prohibits the use of deadly force except when the officer conducting the search has a reasonable belief that the “subject of such force poses an imminent danger of death or serious physical injury to the officer or to another person.”
Prosecutors said in court papers late Friday that Trump’s statements falsely suggesting that federal agents “were complicit in a plot to assassinate him” expose law enforcement officers — some of whom prosecutors noted will be called as witnesses at his trial — “to the risk of threats, violence, and harassment.”
Defense attorneys in a court filing late Monday called prosecutors’ proposed restriction on Trump’s speech “unconstitutional” and noted that the names of law enforcement officers in the case are subject to a protective order preventing their public release. Defense attorneys said they asked Smith’s team on Friday if the two sides could meet on Monday before prosecutors submit their request to give the defense time to discuss it with Trump. They called prosecutors’ decision to file the motion Friday night “bad-faith behavior, plain and simple.”
Trump faces dozens of felony counts accusing him of illegally hoarding at his Mar-a-Lago estate classified documents that he took with him after he left the White House in 2021 and then obstructing the FBI’s efforts to get them back. He has pleaded not guilty and denied wrongdoing.
It’s among four criminal cases Trump is confronting as he seeks to reclaim the White House, but outside of the ongoing New York hush money prosecution, it’s unclear that any of the other three will reach trial before the November election. The decision came as defense lawyers were delivering their closing arguments in the hush money case.
Trump has already had restrictions placed on his speech in two of the other cases over incendiary comments officials say threaten the integrity of the prosecutions.
In the New York case, Trump has been fined and threatened with jail time for repeatedly violating a gag order that bars him from making public statements about witnesses, jurors and some others connected to the matter.
veryGood! (6)
Related
- Moving abroad can be expensive: These 5 countries will 'pay' you to move there
- Georgia’s attorney general says Savannah overstepped in outlawing guns in unlocked cars
- 1 dead at Ohio State University after falling from stadium during graduation ceremony
- Zendaya, Bad Bunny, Jennifer Lopez, Chris Hemsworth and More Attend Marvelous Pre-Met Gala 2024 Dinner
- Most popular books of the week: See what topped USA TODAY's bestselling books list
- Long Beach shooting injures 7, 4 critically wounded, police say
- The Most Wanted Details on Bad Bunny’s Best Fashion Moments and 2024 Met Gala Look
- What is the 2024 Met Gala theme? Sleeping Beauties: Reawakening Fashion, explained
- 'Survivor' 47 finale, part one recap: 2 players were sent home. Who's left in the game?
- Krispy Kreme unveils new collection of mini-doughnuts for Mother's Day: See new flavors
Ranking
- The White House is cracking down on overdraft fees
- Lando Norris wins first Formula 1 race, snaps Max Verstappen's streak at Miami Grand Prix
- The Bachelorette's Desiree Hartsock Is Pregnant, Expecting Baby No. 3 With Husband Chris Siegfried
- Tom Cruise Poses For Photo With Kids Bella and Connor for First Time in Nearly 15 Years
- Dick Vitale announces he is cancer free: 'Santa Claus came early'
- The cicada invasion has begun. Experts recommend greeting it with awe, curiosity and humor
- Bridgerton's Nicola Coughlan and Luke Newton Reveal Unexpected Secret Behind Their Sex Scenes
- Randy Travis shocks industry with new AI-assisted track. How it happened
Recommendation
Chuck Scarborough signs off: Hoda Kotb, Al Roker tribute legendary New York anchor
Horoscopes Today, May 4, 2024
All 9 Drake and Kendrick Lamar 2024 diss songs, including 'Not Like Us' and 'Part 6'
Amazing: Kyle Larson edges Chris Buescher at Kansas in closest finish in NASCAR history
Toyota to invest $922 million to build a new paint facility at its Kentucky complex
The cicada invasion has begun. Experts recommend greeting it with awe, curiosity and humor
Miss USA Noelia Voigt makes 'tough decision' to step down. Read her full statement.
How much does a Met Gala ticket cost? A look at the price of entry for fashion's biggest night