Current:Home > StocksGuinea-Bissau’s president issues a decree dissolving the opposition-controlled parliament -Blueprint Money Mastery
Guinea-Bissau’s president issues a decree dissolving the opposition-controlled parliament
SignalHub Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 12:49:33
BISSAU, Guinea-Bissau (AP) — Guinea-Bissau President Umaro Sissoco Embalo issued a decree Monday dissolving the nation’s opposition-controlled parliament, less than six months after it was reconstituted following a similar move by the president in 2022.
Embalo cited last week’s shootout between troops loyal to him and forces controlled by the parliament, which he described as a failed coup.
“The date for holding the next legislative elections will be set in due time in accordance with the provisions of … the Constitution,” the decree stated. “This Presidential Decree comes into force immediately.”
The order referred to the “seriousness,” of a shootout that started in the capital, Bissau, between members of the Presidential Palace Battalion and the National Guard as the former tried to rearrest two ministers under investigation for alleged corruption who had been released from custody by the latter.
The leadership of the parliament rejected the president’s move, noting that the constitution states that parliament cannot be dissolved in the first 12 months after an election.
“If this situation happens, regardless of the mechanism used, we are in the presence of a subversion of the democratic order or a constitutional coup d’état,” Domingos Simões Pereira, president of the parliament, told reporters.
It is the second time in less than two years that Embalo has dissolved the parliament. Three months after surviving a coup attempt in February 2022, the Guinea Bissau leader did the same thing, citing “unresolvable differences” with the legislature.
Guinea-Bissau’s semi-presidential system limits the president’s powers by allowing the majority party in the parliament to appoint the Cabinet. As a result, the National Guard — which is under the Ministry of Interior — is largely controlled by the opposition-dominated parliament, while the Presidential Palace Battalion is loyal to Embalo.
Embalo, a former army general, was declared the winner of a December 2019 runoff presidential election, which his opponent contested. Tensions have remained between him and the coalition of opposition groups that won the majority in Guinea-Bissau’s parliament in June when the parliament was reconstituted.
Last week’s shooting incident lasted from Thursday night until Friday morning and happened while the president was attending the U.N. climate summit in Dubai, United Arab Emirates. Upon his return, he dismissed Victor Tchongo, the head of the National Guard and said Tchongo hadn’t acted alone when he asked members of the guard to release the officials.
The bid to release the officials — Economy and Finance Minister Suleimane Seidi and Treasury Secretary António Monteiro — “clearly revealed the complicity of grand corruption with certain political interests” and sows “strong evidence of political complicity,” Embalo said in the decree.
It was not clear if the parliament would continue to sit despite the presidential decree. Pereira insisted the assembly remains in place because its dissolution is unconstitutional.
Since gaining independence from Portugal in 1974, Guinea-Bissau, a country of 2 million people, has endured continued political turmoil, experiencing four coups and more than a dozen attempted coups.
Last week’s shootout is the fourth attempted or successful military takeover of power in West and Central Africa in the past six months, including last week’s attacks on military barracks and prisons in Sierra Leone. It further raises tensions in the once-politically stable region where coups have surged, with eight military takeovers since 2020.
___
Asadu reported from Abuja, Nigeria
veryGood! (94)
Related
- Jamie Foxx gets stitches after a glass is thrown at him during dinner in Beverly Hills
- Trump will attend Al Smith charity dinner that Harris is skipping to campaign in battleground state
- How red-hot Detroit Tigers landed in MLB playoff perch: 'No pressure, no fear'
- Boeing makes a ‘best and final offer’ to striking union workers
- Gen. Mark Milley's security detail and security clearance revoked, Pentagon says
- Several states are making late changes to election rules, even as voting is set to begin
- Patrick Mahomes Defends Travis Kelce Amid Criticism of Tight End's NFL Performance
- Clemen Langston: Usage Tips Of On-Balance Volume (OBV)
- Bill Belichick's salary at North Carolina: School releases football coach's contract details
- What Taylor Swift Told Travis Kelce Before His Acting Debut in Grotesquerie
Ranking
- Trump issues order to ban transgender troops from serving openly in the military
- 90 Day Fiancé's Big Ed Calls Off Impulsive 24-Hour Engagement to Fan Porscha
- Boeing makes a ‘best and final offer’ to striking union workers
- Erik Menendez and Lyle Menendez Tell Their Side of the Story in Netflix Documentary Trailer
- A South Texas lawmaker’s 15
- Jennifer Aniston’s Ex Brad Pitt Reunites With Courteney Cox for Rare Appearance Together
- Carly Rae Jepsen Engaged to Producer Cole MGN: See Her Ring
- Kim Kardashian Reveals What's Helping Kids North West and Saint West Bond
Recommendation
The Grammy nominee you need to hear: Esperanza Spalding
There are 5 executions set over a week’s span in the US. That’s the most in decades
Keith Urban Shares Update on Nicole Kidman After Her Mom’s Death
Sean Diddy Combs Predicts His Arrest in Haunting Interview From 1999
US appeals court rejects Nasdaq’s diversity rules for company boards
Ryan Murphy Responds to Eric Menendez’s Criticism of Monsters: The Lyle and Erik Menendez Story
Heavy rains pelt the Cayman Islands as southeast US prepares for a major hurricane
Miami Dolphins star Tyreek Hill joins fight for police reform after his detainment