Current:Home > NewsNew Mexico mother accused of allowing her 5-year-old son to slowly starve to death -Blueprint Money Mastery
New Mexico mother accused of allowing her 5-year-old son to slowly starve to death
Chainkeen View
Date:2025-04-06 12:53:33
A New Mexico mother has been arrested after authorities say she is suspected of allowing her 5-year-old son to slowly die by starvation.
Marecella Vasquez Montelongo, 23, was arrested in late February months after her son, who had Cerebral Palsy and other disabilities, was found in July unconscious and not breathing at her Albuquerque home. The boy was pronounced dead and an autopsy later determined that he died of starvation and dehydration due to neglect, according to a criminal complaint provided to USA TODAY.
In the years prior to the boy's death, state investigators with the Children, Youth, and Families Department had responded to at least four reports of neglect involving the child, according to the complaint.
Montelongo had her first court appearance Wednesday in a Bernalillo County court room on a charge of child abuse resulting in death. A judge ruled that Montelongo must remain in custody until the start of her trial and complete an addiction treatment program, according to KOAT-TV, which was the first to report on the case.
Philadelphia:Body found in duffel bag identified as 4-year-old reported missing in December
Child appeared to be 'skin and bones' at his death
Albuquerque police were dispatched to Montelongo's home on July 16 after receiving a report of the unresponsive child. While paramedics attempted life-saving measures, the boy was pronounced dead at the scene, according to the complaint, dated Feb. 26.
Montelongo told police at the scene that she had fed her son but that he had vomited. Shortly after, she noticed he was not breathing and called 911, the complaint states.
At the time of his death, the boy appeared as "skin and bones," with his hip bones clearly defined and open ulcers on his tailbone, according to the complaint. When medical examiners conducted a preliminary autopsy, they discovered that the boy had dropped to a weight of about 13.6 pounds.
The final autopsy, which was completed in October, concluded that Montelongo's son had died from starvation and dehydration, and ruled that the manner of death was a homicide.
'Red flags' surfaced before boy's July death
The boy was nonverbal, blind, used a wheelchair and required round-the-clock care, according to investigators. Montelongo was required to give her son medication three times a day through a gastrostomy tube, otherwise known as a G-tube.
However, Montelongo routinely missed her son's doctor's appointments, including five since December 2022. While she noticed her son was losing weight, she told investigators that she did not think it was a concern, the complaint states.
Since the boy's birth, the New Mexico Children, Youth and Families Department received four reports of medical neglect, including one report that was substantiated, according to the complaint.
Though the child was enrolled at he New Mexico School for the Blind and Visually Impaired, records provided to investigators showed that he only reported for on day of school in September 2022 and never showed up again.
"This defendant made efforts to hide the abuse and this child's demise from medical advisors and the school," Bernalillo County Judge David Murphy said at Montelongo's hearing, according to video aired by KOAT-TV.
Some advocates went so far as to question how Montelongo was able to retain custody of her son following the series of red flags.
"We had medical providers, educational providers, service providers and family members raising flags," Maralyn Beck, founder and executive director of the nonprofit New Mexico Child Network told KOAT-TV. "Yet here we are."
Eric Lagatta covers breaking and trending news for USA TODAY. Reach him at [email protected]
veryGood! (62974)
Related
- Former Syrian official arrested in California who oversaw prison charged with torture
- The deadline to consolidate some student loans to receive forgiveness is here. Here’s what to know
- Takeaways from the start of week 2 of testimony in Trump’s hush money trial
- The Georgia Supreme Court has thrown out an indictment charging an ex-police chief with misconduct
- Trump wants to turn the clock on daylight saving time
- Mobile sports betting will remain illegal in Mississippi after legislation dies
- Not all Kentucky Derby winners were great: Looking back at 12 forgettable winners
- Jelly Roll's Wife Bunnie XO Claps Back After Meeting Her Hall Pass Crush
- Meet the volunteers risking their lives to deliver Christmas gifts to children in Haiti
- Neurosurgeon causes stir by suggesting parents stop playing white noise for kids' sleep
Ranking
- Dick Vitale announces he is cancer free: 'Santa Claus came early'
- Bird flu risk prompts warnings against raw milk, unpasteurized dairy products
- Why Darren Criss Says He Identifies as Culturally Queer
- US House votes to remove wolves from endangered list in 48 states
- Federal hiring is about to get the Trump treatment
- Columbia says protesters occupied Hamilton Hall overnight. See the videos from campus.
- Arkansas’ elimination of ‘X’ for sex on driver’s licenses spurs lawsuit
- Voters in battleground states say the economy is a top issue
Recommendation
Apple iOS 18.2: What to know about top features, including Genmoji, AI updates
Walmart is launching a new store brand called Bettergoods. Here what it's selling and the cost.
Aaron Carter's Twin Angel Carter Conrad Reveals How She's Breaking Her Family's Cycle of Dysfunction
'As the World Turns' co-stars Cady McClain, Jon Lindstrom are divorcing after 10 years
The 401(k) millionaires club keeps growing. We'll tell you how to join.
Hawaii's 2021 Red Hill jet fuel leak sickened thousands — but it wasn't the first: The system has failed us
The 4 officers killed in North Carolina were tough but kind and loved their jobs, friends say
Kim Kardashian and Odell Beckham Jr. Break Up 7 Months After Sparking Romance Rumors