Current:Home > ContactNorth Carolina governor vetoes bill that would mandate more youths getting tried in adult court -Blueprint Money Mastery
North Carolina governor vetoes bill that would mandate more youths getting tried in adult court
TradeEdge Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 14:35:59
RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) — North Carolina Gov. Roy Cooper vetoed a measure Friday that would have ensured more young people accused of serious crimes be automatically tried in adult court, rather than the potential for some to remain in juvenile proceedings.
The bill, which cleared the House and Senate recently with significant bipartisan support, would adjust juvenile justice reforms from recent years involving 16- and 17-year-old defendants.
The Democratic governor agreed with critics of the law who warned the changes were rolling back the “Raise the Age” provisions that originally took effect in late 2019 and ended a mandate that children of these ages be tried in the adult criminal justice system.
The removal of automatic prosecution in adult court was seen as a way to help more young people avoid public, lifetime criminal records for one-time mistakes, while giving them access to youth-centered resources within the juvenile system, where records aren’t public.
While senators worked to make the vetoed legislation better than the original bill, Cooper wrote in his veto message, “I remain concerned that this new law would keep some children from getting treatment they need while making communities less safe.”
The bill’s chief advocate in the General Assembly said the changes were sought to reflect the reality that these young people charged with high-level felonies were ultimately winding up in adult court, and the legal actions to move them from juvenile to adult court were clogging up prosecutors’ juvenile caseloads. Republican Sen. Danny Britt of Robeson County, who shepherded the bill, didn’t immediately respond Friday to a text message seeking comment.
The bill now returns to the General Assembly for a possible veto override. Eighteen House and Senate Democrats combined voted for the bill with all Republicans present except one. Republicans already hold narrow veto-proof majorities at the General Assembly, which overrode all 19 of Cooper’s vetoes last year. Another Cooper veto earlier this year has not been acted upon.
Juvenile justice law says cases of 16- and 17-year-olds accused of the most serious felonies must be transferred to adult court after a notice of an indictment is handed up, or when a hearing determines there is probable cause a crime was committed. Prosecutors have discretion not to try these youths accused of some lower-grade felonies in adult court.
The new language would have ended the transfer requirement for most of these high-grade felonies and simply placed the cases of these youths in adult court right away.
North Carolina had been the last state in which 16- and 17-year-olds were automatically prosecuted as adults when “Raise the Age” was implemented. These youths are still being tried in adult court for motor vehicle-related crimes.
“Most violent crimes, even when committed by teenagers, should be handled in adult court. However, there are cases where sentences would be more effective and appropriate to the severity of the crime for teenagers if they were handled in juvenile court, making communities safer,” Cooper’s message read. “This bill makes this important option highly unlikely.”
The bill also would have created a new process whereby a case can be removed from Superior Court to juvenile court — with the adult records deleted — if the prosecutor and the defendant’s attorney agree to do so.
Children ages 13 through 15 who are accused of first-degree murder still must be automatically transferred to adult court upon an indictment or hearing that finds probable cause.
The legislation also would have raised penalties against adults who solicit a minor to commit a crime.
veryGood! (3)
Related
- B.A. Parker is learning the banjo
- Sudan conflict rages on after a month of chaos and broken ceasefires
- She was denied entry to a Rockettes show — then the facial recognition debate ignited
- John Shing-wan Leung, American citizen, sentenced to life in prison in China
- Woman dies after Singapore family of 3 gets into accident in Taiwan
- A college student created an app that can tell whether AI wrote an essay
- Every Bombshell Moment of Netflix's Waco: American Apocalypse
- NPR staff review the biggest games of March, and more
- Elon Musk's skyrocketing net worth: He's the first person with over $400 billion
- 'Everybody is cheating': Why this teacher has adopted an open ChatGPT policy
Ranking
- What do we know about the mysterious drones reported flying over New Jersey?
- Volcanic activity on Venus spotted in radar images, scientists say
- A future NBA app feature lets fans virtually replace a player in a live game
- Pakistan Supreme Court orders ex-Prime Minister Imran Khan's immediate release after 2 days of deadly riots
- Scoot flight from Singapore to Wuhan turns back after 'technical issue' detected
- Evidence proves bear captured over killing of Italian jogger is innocent, activists say
- Sephora 24-Hour Flash Sale: 50% Off Urban Decay, Dr. Brandt, Lancôme, and More
- Researchers watch and worry as balloons are blasted from the sky
Recommendation
Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Hi Hi!
'Theatrhythm Final Bar Line' Review: Reliving the best kind of nostalgia
Willie Mae Thornton was a foremother of rock. These kids carry her legacy forward
Turkey's 2023 election is President Erdogan's biggest test yet. Here's why the world is watching.
Current, future North Carolina governor’s challenge of power
Cryptocurrency turmoil affects crypto miners
5 more people hanged in Iran after U.N. warns of frighteningly high number of executions
The charges against crypto's Bankman-Fried are piling up. Here's how they break down