Current:Home > ScamsConnecticut governor takes partial blame for illegal cutting of 186 trees on neighbor’s property -Blueprint Money Mastery
Connecticut governor takes partial blame for illegal cutting of 186 trees on neighbor’s property
SignalHub Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 13:51:36
HARTFORD, Conn. (AP) — Connecticut Gov. Ned Lamont acknowledged Monday he helped hire a landscaper that illegally chopped down more than 180 trees and thousands of bushes on a property behind his Greenwich home, capping off days of questions about his level of involvement.
The wealthy two-term Democrat along with one of his neighbors and a neighborhood organization have been accused of removing trees in protected wetlands — property they do not own — to get a better view of a pond. Lamont denied that charge, telling reporters on Monday the trees were damaged in previous storms and the plan was to clean up the area. Yet he admitted partial responsibility for inadvertently cutting trees on someone else’s land.
“I think at the end of the day, I’m responsible and the (neighborhood organization) is,” Lamont told reporters after appearing at an unrelated event at Bridgeport Hospital on Monday. “They hired a contractor to do the work, and I think the contractor went beyond the scope a little bit.”
Lamont said he expected the landscaping company hired by himself and the neighborhood group, known as the Ashton Drive Association, would have obtained any needed permits with the town of Greenwich. He told reporters he also didn’t realize local permission was needed to remove what he considered dead trees.
“Now I know and it will never happen again,” he said.
Lamont and the neighbors were issued a cease-and-desist order to stop cutting the trees in November after the sound of chainsaws was heard by a property manager for another undeveloped piece of land where part of the culling took place. The manager said the tree-cutting “went far beyond destruction of wetland vegetation,” according documents posted by the Greenwich Inland Wetlands and Watercourses Agency.
Fred Jacobsen, property director of the land owned by INCT LLC, property that used to be owned by the Rockefeller family, said it appeared the “massive cutting effort” had been going on for multiple days and that he saw more than 10 workers cutting and clearing trees and bushes. Access to the site had been provided through property owned by Lamont’s neighbor, wealthy businessman Alexander Vik and his wife Carrie, according to the wetlands commission minutes.
Jacobsen told the commission “the people involved knew they would never be allowed to do this, if they had applied for a permit, so they did it anyway.” He said there was a plywood path laid out for trucks and a wood chipper.
“When Mr. Jacobsen walked over, the entire group of workers started running from the area and grouping up to leave the premises,” according to the commission minutes.
Lamont and his neighbors could eventually be fined by the town.
At a special meeting held Monday of the Inlands Wetlands and Watercourses Agency, members focused more on efforts to reach an agreement on how best to replant the property. Jacobsen says no expense should be spared to restore the site as closely as possible to how it was before, according to the minutes. He said 186 trees were cut down.
Lamont, who has been out of state since news of the illegal tree-cutting came to light, has been criticized for not publicly explaining what happened beyond a brief statement last week saying the matter “is a dispute between the homeowners association and one of the neighbors.”
“If it was me, but I’m really not in a position to be able to cut down that many trees, but I probably would have gotten out in front of this. This happened in November. They should have had a better response by now,” House Minority Leader Vincent Candelora, a Republican, said Monday.
veryGood! (453)
Related
- The Grammy nominee you need to hear: Esperanza Spalding
- Inside Clean Energy: Arizona’s Energy Plan Unravels
- NASCAR Addresses Jimmie Johnson Family Tragedy After In-Laws Die in Apparent Murder-Suicide
- Obamas’ personal chef drowns near family’s home on Martha’s Vineyard
- Federal hiring is about to get the Trump treatment
- Discover These 16 Indiana Jones Gifts in This Treasure-Filled Guide
- Thousands of Amazon Shoppers Say This 50% Off Folding Makeup Mirror Is a Must-Have
- Gwyneth Paltrow’s Son Moses Looks Just Like Dad Chris Martin in New Photo
- Pregnant Kylie Kelce Shares Hilarious Question Her Daughter Asked Jason Kelce Amid Rising Fame
- Bethenny Frankel's Daughter Bryn, 13, Is All Grown Up in Rare TV Appearance
Ranking
- Jamie Foxx reps say actor was hit in face by a glass at birthday dinner, needed stitches
- Biden Is Losing His Base on Climate Change, a New Pew Poll Finds. Six in 10 Democrats Don’t Feel He’s Doing Enough
- Panera rolls out hand-scanning technology that has raised privacy concerns
- Confusion Over Line 5 Shutdown Highlights Biden’s Tightrope Walk on Climate and Environmental Justice
- 2025 'Doomsday Clock': This is how close we are to self
- Tarte Cosmetics Flash Deal: Get $140 Worth of Products for Just $24
- Kate Spade 24-Hour Flash Deal: Save $291 on This Satchel Bag That Comes in 4 Colors
- From searing heat's climbing death toll to storms' raging floodwaters, extreme summer weather not letting up
Recommendation
Arkansas State Police probe death of woman found after officer
All of You Will Love All of Chrissy Teigen and John Legend's Family Photos
Pink Absolutely Stunned After Fan Throws Mom's Ashes At Her During Performance
Jacksonville Jaguars assistant Kevin Maxen becomes first male coach in major U.S. pro league to come out as gay
Tree trimmer dead after getting caught in wood chipper at Florida town hall
‘We’re Being Wrapped in Poison’: A Century of Oil and Gas Development Has Devastated the Ponca City Region of Northern Oklahoma
GM will stop making the Chevy Camaro, but a successor may be in the works
Inside Clean Energy: Ohio’s EV Truck Savior Is Running Out of Juice