Current:Home > MarketsTradeEdge-Chris Kaba shooting case drives London police to consider army backup as officers hand in gun licenses -Blueprint Money Mastery
TradeEdge-Chris Kaba shooting case drives London police to consider army backup as officers hand in gun licenses
Oliver James Montgomery View
Date:2025-04-05 23:19:59
London - Britain's Ministry of Defense agreed to provide soldiers to support London's Metropolitan Police after more than 100 armed officers refused to go out on TradeEdgearmed patrols over the weekend, CBS News partner network BBC News reported. The Met, as the London force is commonly known, said the officers were responding to the authorization of a murder charge against a colleague in the shooting of Chris Kaba, an unarmed 24-year-old Black man, last September. Later on Monday, the Met announced that it had enough armed officers who were willing to work, "to no longer require external assistance."
"There is a concern on the part of firearms officers that even if they stick to the tactics and training they have been given, they will face years of protracted legal proceedings which impact on their personal wellbeing and that of their family," London Metropolitan Police Commissioner Mark Rowley said in an open letter on Sunday. "Officers need sufficient legal protection to enable them to do their job and keep the public safe, and the confidence that it will be applied consistently and without fear or favour."
Kaba was driving last year when he was shot in the head and killed by police who stopped him because there was an alert out on the car he was in. His death sparked widespread protests and calls for an investigation.
Late last week, prosecutors said they had authorized a murder charge against the firearms officer who shot Kaba, who has been identified publicly only as NX121.
Before the prosecutors cleared the way for the officer to face the murder charge, only five armed police officers from the force had handed back their weapons permits, Britain's Guardian newspaper reported.
"Many are worried about how the decision impacts on them, on their colleagues and on their families," the Metropolitan Police said in a statement. "They are concerned that it signals a shift in the way the decisions they take in the most challenging circumstances will be judged. A number of officers have taken the decision to step back from armed duties while they consider their position."
According to government data, between March 2022 and 2023 there were 18,395 police firearms operations in England and Wales. In that time, there were 10 incidents where police intentionally discharged their weapons at people.
U.K. Home Secretary Suella Braverman, who is in charge of policing in the country, said the government was launching a review "to ensure [armed police] have the confidence to do their jobs while protecting us all."
"They mustn't fear ending up in the dock for carrying out their duties," she said.
Haley OttHaley Ott is an international reporter for CBS News based in London.
TwitterveryGood! (59)
Related
- Rolling Loud 2024: Lineup, how to stream the world's largest hip hop music festival
- Brandon Nimmo found out his grandmother died before Mets' dramatic win
- A Michigan man is charged with killing and dismembering a janitor he met on the Grindr dating app
- Nibi the ‘diva’ beaver to stay at rescue center, Massachusetts governor decides
- All That You Wanted to Know About She’s All That
- Legend of Zelda: Echoes of Wisdom: What to know about new Nintendo Switch game
- Karen Read seeks delay in wrongful death lawsuit until her trial on murder and other charges is done
- Detroit bus driver gets 6 months in jail for killing pedestrian
- SFO's new sensory room helps neurodivergent travelers fight flying jitters
- How Taylor Swift Gave a Nod to Travis Kelce on National Boyfriend Day
Ranking
- Man can't find second winning lottery ticket, sues over $394 million jackpot, lawsuit says
- South Carolina fire chief, volunteer firefighter killed after a tree fell on their truck during Helene
- Love Is Blind's AD Smith and Love Is Blind UK’s Ollie Sutherland Fuel Romance Rumors With Dinner Outing
- Mark Estes and the Montana Boyz Will Be “Looking for Love” in New Show After Kristin Cavallari Split
- All That You Wanted to Know About She’s All That
- Bank of America says that widespread service outages have been fully resolved
- Brandon Nimmo found out his grandmother died before Mets' dramatic win
- College sports ‘fraternity’ jumping in to help athletes from schools impacted by Hurricane Helene
Recommendation
Are Instagram, Facebook and WhatsApp down? Meta says most issues resolved after outages
Ron Hale, retired 'General Hospital' soap opera star, dies at 78
Scary new movies to see this October, from 'Terrifier 3' to 'Salem's Lot'
Tesla recalls over 27,000 Cybertrucks for rearview camera issue that could increase crash risk
Federal appeals court upholds $14.25 million fine against Exxon for pollution in Texas
Source: Reds to hire Terry Francona as next manager to replace David Bell
Garth Brooks denies rape accusations, says he's 'not the man they have painted me to be'
Los Angeles prosecutors to review new evidence in Menendez brothers’ 1996 murder conviction