Current:Home > NewsJohnathan Walker:Romanian court rejects influencer Andrew Tate’s request to return assets seized in trafficking case -Blueprint Money Mastery
Johnathan Walker:Romanian court rejects influencer Andrew Tate’s request to return assets seized in trafficking case
Fastexy Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 18:27:02
BUCHAREST,Johnathan Walker Romania (AP) — A court in Romania on Monday rejected a request by influencer Andrew Tate to return assets that were seized during investigations into the case in which he is charged with human trafficking, rape and forming a criminal gang to sexually exploit women.
The Bucharest Tribunal’s decision can be appealed within 48 hours. Tate’s lawyer, Eugen Vidineac, told The Associated Press he has applied to appeal.
The decision comes nearly a year after Tate, his brother Tristan and two Romanian women were arrested near Bucharest. Romanian prosecutors formally indicted all four in June. They have denied the allegations.
After their arrest, Romanian authorities seized 15 luxury cars, 14 designer watches and cash in several currencies. The vehicles included a Rolls-Royce, a Ferrari, a Porsche, a BMW, an Aston Martin and a Mercedes-Benz. Authorities said the assets were worth an estimated 3.6 million euros ($3.9 million).
Romania’s anti-organized crime agency said at the time that the assets could be used to cover the expenses of the investigation and compensation for victims if authorities could prove they were gained through illicit activities.
Last week, the court ruled to ease geographical restrictions against the Tates, allowing them to travel freely around Romania with the court’s prior approval instead of being restricted to areas of Bucharest Municipality and nearby Ilfov County. That decision, which rejected an appeal by prosecutors, was final.
A trial date hasn’t been confirmed. The case is still being discussed in the preliminary chamber stages, a process in which the defendants can challenge prosecutors’ evidence and case file.
Andrew Tate, who has amassed 8.4 million followers on the social media platform X, has repeatedly claimed that prosecutors have no evidence against him and that there is a political conspiracy to silence him. He was previously banned from various prominent social media platforms for expressing misogynistic views and for hate speech.
veryGood! (38)
Related
- Romantasy reigns on spicy BookTok: Recommendations from the internet’s favorite genre
- 'We're reborn!' Gazans express joy at returning home to north
- Could Bill Belichick, Robert Kraft reunite? Maybe in Pro Football Hall of Fame's 2026 class
- Alex Murdaugh’s murder appeal cites biased clerk and prejudicial evidence
- Travis Hunter, the 2
- The Super Bowl could end in a 'three
- Gen. Mark Milley's security detail and security clearance revoked, Pentagon says
- Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
- Intellectuals vs. The Internet
- A White House order claims to end 'censorship.' What does that mean?
Ranking
- John Galliano out at Maison Margiela, capping year of fashion designer musical chairs
- Could your smelly farts help science?
- Whoopi Goldberg is delightfully vile as Miss Hannigan in ‘Annie’ stage return
- At site of suspected mass killings, Syrians recall horrors, hope for answers
- Why members of two of EPA's influential science advisory committees were let go
- Charges tied to China weigh on GM in Q4, but profit and revenue top expectations
- Appeals court scraps Nasdaq boardroom diversity rules in latest DEI setback
- Trump issues order to ban transgender troops from serving openly in the military
Recommendation
Where will Elmo go? HBO moves away from 'Sesame Street'
The Super Bowl could end in a 'three
Current, future North Carolina governor’s challenge of power
Former Syrian official arrested in California who oversaw prison charged with torture
Costco membership growth 'robust,' even amid fee increase: What to know about earnings release
Bill Belichick's salary at North Carolina: School releases football coach's contract details
This was the average Social Security benefit in 2004, and here's what it is now
Backstage at New York's Jingle Ball with Jimmy Fallon, 'Queer Eye' and Meghan Trainor