Current:Home > InvestJohnathan Walker:Alec Baldwin's Criminal Charges Dropped in Rust Shooting Case -Blueprint Money Mastery
Johnathan Walker:Alec Baldwin's Criminal Charges Dropped in Rust Shooting Case
EchoSense View
Date:2025-04-07 05:03:04
Alec Baldwin's involuntary manslaughter charge in the fatal shooting of Rust cinematographer Halyna Hutchins has been dropped.
The Johnathan WalkerDistrict Attorney of Santa Fe County in New Mexico will not be moving forward with plans to prosecute Baldwin, according to the actor's attorneys Luke Nikas and Alex Spiro.
"We are pleased with the decision to dismiss the case against Alec Baldwin," they said in a joint statement to NBC News, "and we encourage a proper investigation into the facts and circumstances of this tragic accident."
Baldwin also spoke out when he shared a photo of himself and wife Hilaria Baldwin on Instagram. "I owe everything I have to this woman," he wrote in the April 20 post, before seemingly also thanking Nikas. "(and to you, Luke)."
News of the dismissal comes almost two months after Baldwin and Rust armorer Hannah Gutierrez-Reed each pleaded not guilty to one count of involuntary manslaughter in connection to Hutchins' death.
Hutchins was fatally wounded on the set of Rust in October 2021, when a lead projectile was discharged from prop gun that Baldwin was holding. The film's director Joel Souza was also hurt in the incident, though he has since recovered from his injuries.
Baldwin and Gutierrez-Reed were formally charged in January. The following month, Baldwin's legal team accused prosecutors of committing "a basic legal error" by charging the 65-year-old under a version of a firearm-enhancement statute that did not exist at the time of the shooting.
"It thus appears that the government intended to charge the current version of the firearm enhancement statute, which was not enacted until May 18, 2022, seven months after the accident," Baldwin's counsel argued in court documents obtained by E! News, adding that it would be "flagrantly unconstitutional" if his charges were to remain as-is.
The five-year gun enhancement attached to the 30 Rock alum's charge was dropped in late February, significantly reducing his possible prison sentence if he were to be convicted.
Throughout the legal proceeding, Baldwin has denied any wrongdoing in Hutchins' death. "The trigger wasn't pulled," he said in a 2021 interview with ABC News. "I didn't pull the trigger."
Baldwin is scheduled to return to the Rust set as both an actor and producer when filming—which was halted in the wake of the shooting—resumes this spring. Hutchins' widower, Matthew Hutchins, has joined the project as an executive producer, while Bianca Cline will serve as the Western's new cinematographer, according to a press release previously obtained by E! News.
"Though bittersweet, I am grateful that a brilliant and dedicated new production team joining former cast and crew are committed to completing what Halyna and I started," director Souza said in a Feb. 14 statement. "My every effort on this film will be devoted to honoring Halyna's legacy and making her proud. It is a privilege to see this through on her behalf."
E! News has reached out to Baldwin and Gutierrez-Reed's legal teams, as well as the District Attorney of Santa Fe County, for comment but hasn't heard back.
(E! and NBC News are both part of the NBCUniversal family.)
For the latest breaking news updates, click here to download the E! News AppveryGood! (854)
Related
- Tarte Shape Tape Concealer Sells Once Every 4 Seconds: Get 50% Off Before It's Gone
- Colorado gold mine where tour guide was killed and tourists trapped ordered closed by regulators
- Cleveland mayor says Browns owners have decided to move team from lakefront home
- Liam Payne's Heartfelt Letter to His 10-Year-Old Self Resurfaces After His Death
- Global Warming Set the Stage for Los Angeles Fires
- Alabama to execute man for killing 5 in what he says was a meth-fueled rampage
- 'Ghosts' Season 4 brings new characters, holiday specials and big changes
- How Liam Payne Reacted to Girlfriend Kate Cassidy Leaving Argentina Early
- Jamie Foxx gets stitches after a glass is thrown at him during dinner in Beverly Hills
- Takeaways from The Associated Press’ reporting on extremism in the military
Ranking
- Tree trimmer dead after getting caught in wood chipper at Florida town hall
- La Nina could soon arrive. Here’s what that means for winter weather
- Diablo and Santa Ana winds are to descend on California and raise wildfire risk
- Former MTV VJ Ananda Lewis shares stage 4 breast cancer diagnosis
- Sarah J. Maas books explained: How to read 'ACOTAR,' 'Throne of Glass' in order.
- Former United Way worker convicted of taking $6.7M from nonprofit through secret company
- Lionel Messi looks ahead to Inter Miami title run, ponders World Cup future
- Virginia men’s basketball coach Tony Bennett is retiring effective immediately
Recommendation
'Kraven the Hunter' spoilers! Let's dig into that twisty ending, supervillain reveal
To cast a Pennsylvania ballot, voters must be registered by Oct. 21
Canadian former Olympic snowboarder wanted in US drug trafficking case
Canadian Olympian charged with murder and running international drug trafficking ring
'Most Whopper
Harry Styles mourns One Direction bandmate Liam Payne: 'My lovely friend'
‘Breaking Bad’ star appears in ad campaign against littering in New Mexico
Liam Payne Death Investigation: Authorities Reveal What They Found Inside Hotel Room