Current:Home > Markets500-year-old manuscript signed by Spanish conquistador Hernando Cortés returned to Mexico -Blueprint Money Mastery
500-year-old manuscript signed by Spanish conquistador Hernando Cortés returned to Mexico
SafeX Pro Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 16:59:59
BOSTON (AP) — A nearly 500-year-old manuscript signed by the Spanish conquistador Hernando Cortés in 1527 has been returned to the Archivo General de la Nación de México – Mexico’s national archives in Mexico City, U.S. officials said Tuesday.
The manuscript is a payment order signed by Cortés on April 27, 1527, authorizing the purchase of rose sugar for the pharmacy in exchange for 12 gold pesos.
It is believed to be one of several pieces unlawfully removed from a collection of documents concerning a Spanish expedition to Central America in 1527 that is housed in Mexico’s national archives.
Other news Outside experts’ last report raises questions about military’s role in disappearance of 43 students The last report submitted by a panel of outside experts has raised further questions about the Mexican military’s role in the 2014 disappearance of 43 students. A judge blocks limits on asylum at US-Mexico border but gives Biden administration time to appeal A federal judge has blocked a rule that allows immigration authorities to deny asylum to migrants who arrive at the U.S. Court battle over Trump-era border wall funding is over, as last state ends lawsuit The yearslong legal fight over former President Donald Trump’s decision to divert billions of dollars to build a U.S.-Mexico border wall has formally ended. Mexico’s native ethnic groups promote their heritage during Oaxaca’s biggest cultural festival The festival of Guelaguetza – the biggest cultural event in southwestern Mexico – showcases the traditions of 16 Indigenous ethnic groups and the Afro-Mexican community.Last week officials from the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the District of Massachusetts and the FBI participated in a formal repatriation ceremony at Mexico’s national archives, where the manuscript is believed to have been unlawfully removed sometime before 1993.
It is a violation of federal law to transport or receive stolen goods valued at more than $5,000 that have traveled in foreign or interstate commerce.
According to investigators in early 2022, a person consigned the Cortés manuscript for online auction at a Massachusetts auction house. Mexican authorities alerted federal authorities in the United States that the manuscript being auctioned appeared to have been stolen.
The auction house removed the manuscript from the upcoming auction, and the manuscript was recovered, officials said.
“After missing for decades, thanks to incredible international collaboration and persistence the Cortés manuscript is finally where it belongs back in Mexico, where it will remain a treasured part of Mexico’s history and heritage,” acting U.S. Attorney Joshua Levy said in a written statement.
veryGood! (2)
Related
- Rams vs. 49ers highlights: LA wins rainy defensive struggle in key divisional game
- Flags outside of Alito's houses spark political backlash as Supreme Court nears end of term
- Rapper Sean Kingston and his mother stole more than $1 million through fraud, authorities say
- Nepali climber smashes women's record for fastest Mount Everest ascent
- Whoopi Goldberg is delightfully vile as Miss Hannigan in ‘Annie’ stage return
- Why King Charles III, Prince William and the Royal Family Are Postponing Public Engagements
- At least 9 dead, dozens hurt after wind gust topples stage at rally for Mexican presidential candidate
- Real Housewives of Atlanta' Kandi Burruss Shares a Hack for Lasting Makeup & Wedding Must-Haves
- What were Tom Selleck's juicy final 'Blue Bloods' words in Reagan family
- Uvalde mom pushes through 'nightmare' so others won't know loss of a child in 'Print It Black'
Ranking
- Senate begins final push to expand Social Security benefits for millions of people
- Travis Kelce Breaks Silence on Harrison Butker’s Controversial Commencement Speech
- 33 things to know about Indy 500: Kyle Larson goes for 'Double' and other drivers to watch
- The Uvalde school shooting thrust them into the national spotlight. Where are they now?
- Bodycam footage shows high
- Sofia Richie Gives Birth, Welcomes First Baby With Elliot Grainge
- A British neonatal nurse convicted of killing 7 babies loses her bid to appeal
- This week on Sunday Morning (May 26)
Recommendation
Trump invites nearly all federal workers to quit now, get paid through September
Commentary: The price for me, but not for thee?
A Walk in the Woods With My Brain on Fire: Spring
Search of Gilgo Beach serial killing suspect’s home on Long Island enters its 5th day
Federal court filings allege official committed perjury in lawsuit tied to Louisiana grain terminal
Catholic church in downtown Madison catches fire following storms
As Trump’s hush-money trial nears an end, some would-be spectators camp out for days to get inside
A man found bones in his wine cellar. They were from 40,000-year-old mammoths.