Current:Home > StocksArmenia accuses Azerbaijan of "ethnic cleansing" in Nagorno-Karabakh region as 65,000 "forcefully displaced" -Blueprint Money Mastery
Armenia accuses Azerbaijan of "ethnic cleansing" in Nagorno-Karabakh region as 65,000 "forcefully displaced"
Robert Brown View
Date:2025-04-06 11:38:58
Armenia's Prime Minister Nikol Pashinyan accused neighboring Azerbaijan on Thursday of "ethnic cleansing" as tens of thousands of people fled the Azerbaijani region of Nagorno-Karabakh into Armenia. Pashinyan predicted that all ethnic Armenians would flee the region in "the coming days" amid an ongoing Azerbaijani military operation there.
"Our analysis shows that in the coming days there will be no Armenians in Nagorno-Karabakh," Pashinyan told his cabinet members on Thursday, according to the French news agency AFP. "This is an act of ethnic cleansing of which we were warning the international community for a long time."
Nagorno-Karabakh is internationally recognized as part of Azerbaijan, but it has been populated and run by ethnic Armenian separatists for several decades. About a week ago, Azerbaijan launched a lightning military offensive to bring the breakaway region — home to fewer than 150,000 people before the exodus began — fully under its control.
Over the last week, amid what Azerbaijan calls "anti-terrorist" operations in Nagorno-Karabakh, tens of thousands of people have fled to Armenia. Armenian government spokeswoman Nazeli Baghdasaryan said in a statement that some "65,036 forcefully displaced persons" had crossed into Armenia from the region by Thursday morning, according to AFP.
Some of the ethnic Armenian residents have said they had only minutes to decide to pack up their things and abandon their homes to join the exodus down the only road into neighboring Armenia.
"We ran away to survive," an elderly woman holding her granddaughter told the Reuters news agency. "It was horrible, children were hungry and crying."
Samantha Powers, the head of the U.S. government's primary aid agency, was in Armenia this week and announced that the U.S. government would provide $11.5 million worth of assistance.
"It is absolutely critical that independent monitors, as well as humanitarian organizations, get access to the people in Nagorno-Karabakh who still have dire needs," she said, adding that "there are injured civilians in Nagorno-Karabakh who need to be evacuated and it is absolutely essential that evacuation be facilitated by the government of Azerbaijan."
The conflict between the Armenian separatists in Nagorno-Karabakh and Azerbaijan had simmered for years, but after the recent invasion was launched, the separatists agreed to lay down their arms, leaving the future of their region and their people shrouded in uncertainty.
- In:
- Armenia
- Azerbaijan
- ethnic cleansing
Chris Livesay is a CBS News foreign correspondent based in Rome.
TwitterveryGood! (9665)
Related
- Angelina Jolie nearly fainted making Maria Callas movie: 'My body wasn’t strong enough'
- Europe was set to lead the world on AI regulation. But can leaders reach a deal?
- Italy reportedly drops out of China Belt and Road initiative that failed to deliver
- He changed television forever. Why we all owe thanks to the genius of Norman Lear.
- Are Instagram, Facebook and WhatsApp down? Meta says most issues resolved after outages
- Charged Lemonade at Panera Bread being blamed for second death, family files lawsuit
- Cargo ship breaks down in Egypt’s Suez Canal and crashes into a bridge. Traffic is not disrupted
- Republican prosecutor will appeal judge’s ruling invalidating Wisconsin’s 174-year-old abortion ban
- Tom Holland's New Venture Revealed
- Norman Lear, Who Made Funny Sitcoms About Serious Topics, Dies At 101
Ranking
- Who's hosting 'Saturday Night Live' tonight? Musical guest, how to watch Dec. 14 episode
- The West has sanctioned Russia’s rich. But is that really punishing Putin and helping Ukraine?
- Taylor Swift caps off massive 2023 by entering her Time Person of the Year era
- Watch this lone goose tackle a busy New York street with the help of construction workers
- Selena Gomez engaged to Benny Blanco after 1 year together: 'Forever begins now'
- Former UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson defends his record in high-stakes grilling at COVID inquiry
- Russia rejected significant proposal for Evan Gershkovich and Paul Whelan's release, U.S. says
- Arizona man charged for allegedly inciting religiously motivated terrorist attack that killed 2 officers, bystander in Australia
Recommendation
Tree trimmer dead after getting caught in wood chipper at Florida town hall
France will carry out 10,000 checks at restaurants, hotels before Paris Games to avoid price hikes
Biden to sign executive order on federal funding for Native Americans
Illinois scraps plan for building migrant winter camp due to toxic soil risk
Brianna LaPaglia Reveals The Meaning Behind Her "Chickenfry" Nickname
The Best Gifts for Pets and Their Owners That Deserve A Round Of A-Paws
Rush's Geddy Lee and Alex Lifeson on the band's next chapter
A narrowing Republican presidential field will debate with just six weeks before the Iowa caucuses