Current:Home > My49ers' Nick Bosa holding out for new contract. Could new deal set record for pass rusher? -Blueprint Money Mastery
49ers' Nick Bosa holding out for new contract. Could new deal set record for pass rusher?
Oliver James Montgomery View
Date:2025-04-06 18:34:42
Nick Bosa, the reigning NFL defensive player of the year, is not expected to report to San Francisco 49ers training camp while he awaits a contract extension that could become the new league record for a pass rusher.
49ers general manager John Lynch and coach Kyle Shanahan said Tuesday they do not expect Bosa to work out during training camp until a new deal is reached.
Lynch did express optimism about a Bosa deal, adding that he’s been in communication with Bosa’s agent Brian Ayrault throughout the negotiation process.
"We’re working diligently to try to come to an agreement. I think the challenge is you’re talking about a real special player. You’re talking about one of the better players in the league," Lynch said.
"At times, it’s just finding that sweet spot in the middle where we’re at the right spot. We’re committed to working towards that."
NFL RECORD PROJECTIONS 2023:Which teams will lead the way to Super Bowl 58?
NEVER MISS A SNAP:Sign up to get the latest NFL news and features sent directly to your inbox
How much could Nick Bosa’s new extension be?
Bosa’s new deal could potentially range upwards of $30 million annually with at least $100 million guaranteed.
Bosa, who led the NFL with 18.5 sacks last season and 21 tackles for loss in 2021, won defensive rookie of the year honors in 2019. He’s set to make $17.8 million this season if he were to play under his fifth-year option.
But Bosa, the No. 2 pick in the 2019 NFL draft behind Arizona Cardinals quarterback Kyler Murray, could be in for a record-setting payday.
Who is the NFL's highest paid defensive player?
Los Angeles Rams defensive tackle Aaron Donald is the highest-paid defender in the NFL at $31.6 million annually. Pittsburgh Steelers edge rusher T.J. Watt signed a four-year extension before the 2021 season, worth $112 million, with a $35 million signing bonus and $80 million guaranteed.
Which NFL defensive player has the most guaranteed money?
Bosa’s brother, Joey, set the NFL record in total guarantees at $102 million when he signed a five-year, $135 million extension with the Los Angeles Chargers in 2020, which resulted in a $27 million average.
Cleveland Browns edge rusher Myles Garrett had the total guarantees record for 13 days before Joey Bosa’s deal, when he signed a five-year extension worth $125 million with $100 million guaranteed, including $50 million at signing.
Chargers outside linebacker Khalil Mack previously was also a highest-paid player at the time of his six-year, $141 million contract from the Chicago Bears in 2018. Mack’s deal averaged $23.5 million average annually with $90 million guaranteed.
Lynch said he agreed with Nick Bosa and his agent to "keep our dealings private" during the negotiation process.
The 49ers open the 2023 NFL season on the road against the Pittsburgh Steelers on Sept. 10.
"This one may be a little more complex," Lynch said of Bosa’s upcoming deal. "But we’re working hard and have great communication. The interest is mutual."
veryGood! (9118)
Related
- Toyota to invest $922 million to build a new paint facility at its Kentucky complex
- Why Riley Keough Says Mom Lisa Marie Presley Died “of a Broken Heart”
- Florida power outage map: Track outages as Hurricane Helene approaches from Gulf of Mexico
- Concerns linger after gunfire damages Arizona Democratic campaign office
- Trump's 'stop
- LinkedIn is using your data to train generative AI models. Here's how to opt out.
- Tommy John surgery is MLB's necessary evil 50 years later: 'We created this mess'
- Nikki Garcia's Ex Artem Chigvintsev Shares His Priority After Extremely Difficult Legal Battle
- How to watch the 'Blue Bloods' Season 14 finale: Final episode premiere date, cast
- What to know about Jake Paul-Mike Tyson fight: date, odds, how to watch
Ranking
- Trump suggestion that Egypt, Jordan absorb Palestinians from Gaza draws rejections, confusion
- 4 youths given 'magic mushrooms' by suspected drug dealer, 2 of them overdosed: Police
- Revisiting 2024 PCCAs Host Shania Twain’s Evolution That Will Impress You Very Much
- Powerball winning numbers for September 25: Jackpot at $223 million
- 'We're reborn!' Gazans express joy at returning home to north
- MLB blows up NL playoff race by postponing Mets vs. Braves series due to Hurricane Helene
- Erradicar el riesgo: el reto de Cicero para construir un parque inclusivo que sea seguro
- Best Gifts for Studio Ghibli Fans in 2024: Inspired Picks from Howl’s Moving Castle, Spirited Away & More
Recommendation
Intel's stock did something it hasn't done since 2022
Americans are more likely to see Harris’ gender as a hurdle than they were for Clinton: AP-NORC poll
Naomi Campbell banned from charity role for 5 years after financial investigation
Inside Hoda Kotb's Private World: Her Amazing Journey to Motherhood
Jorge Ramos reveals his final day with 'Noticiero Univision': 'It's been quite a ride'
Judge weighs whether to dismiss movie armorer’s conviction in fatal set shooting by Alec Baldwin
Nikki Garcia's Ex Artem Chigvintsev Shares His Priority After Extremely Difficult Legal Battle
Derrick Rose, a No. 1 overall pick in 2008 and the 2011 NBA MVP, announces retirement