Current:Home > ScamsBanker involved in big loans to Trump’s company testifies for his defense in civil fraud trial -Blueprint Money Mastery
Banker involved in big loans to Trump’s company testifies for his defense in civil fraud trial
PredictIQ View
Date:2025-04-06 12:53:27
When Deutsche Bank loaned Donald Trump’s company hundreds of millions of dollars, the bank always followed its own guidelines that include checking out information that would-be borrowers provide, an executive testified Tuesday at the former president’s civil fraud trial.
The loans — for projects in Florida, Chicago and Washington, D.C. — are a focus of New York Attorney General Letitia James’ lawsuit contending that Trump and his company deceived lenders and insurers by giving them financial statements that baldly overstated his asset values and overall net worth. The defendants deny the allegations.
Deutsche Bank reviewed the financial statements before making the loans through its department that works with rich individuals — a pathway that allowed for more favorable interest rates than likely available from the commercial real estate division, according to the lawsuit. The deals came with conditions about Trump’s net worth and, sometimes, liquidity, and they often required annual submissions of his financial statements.
But, testifying for the defense, managing director David Williams said the bankers viewed clients’ reports of their net worth as “subjective or subject to estimates” and took its own view of such financial statements.
“I think we expect clients-provided information to be accurate. At the same time, it’s not an industry standard that these statements be audited. They’re largely reliant on the use of estimates,” Williams said, so bankers routinely “make some adjustments.”
At times, the bank pegged Trump’s net worth at $1 billion or more lower than he did, according to documents and testimony. But that wasn’t necessarily unusual or alarming, Williams testified.
“It’s a conservative measure to make these adjustments. You might even say it’s a stress test” of financial strength, he said.
The attorney general’s office, however, has maintained that such adjustments were never intended to account for the alleged fraud. A now-retired Deutsche Bank executive, Nicholas Haigh, testified earlier in the trial that he assumed the figures “were broadly accurate,” though the bank subjected them to ”sanity checks” and sometimes made sizeable “haircuts.”
Judge Arthur Engoron already has ruled that Trump and other defendants engaged in fraud. The trial is to decide remaining claims of conspiracy, insurance fraud and falsifying business records. There’s no jury, so Engoron will decide the verdict.
Trump, the current Republican 2024 presidential front-runner, casts the entire case as a political low blow from James, a Democrat.
Trump maintains that his financial statements actually lowballed his wealth and that any overstatements — such as listing his Trump Tower penthouse for years at nearly three times its actual size — were mistakes.
He asserted in his own testimony this month that his lenders cared more about property locations and the parameters of the deals than they did about the financial statements. And he argued that lenders were essentially told to do their own homework, pointing to disclaimers that said the statements weren’t audited, among other caveats.
Deutsche Bank guidelines told lending officers to “independently verify all material facts,” and Williams said the bankers followed those and other instructions when dealing with Trump.
“Are you aware of any time Deutsche Bank didn’t adhere to its own guidelines in making loans to President Trump?” defense attorney Jesus M. Suarez asked.
“No,” Williams replied.
James’ lawyers haven’t yet had their chance to question him.
James wants the judge to impose over $300 million in penalties and to ban Trump from doing business in New York — and that’s on top of Engoron’s pretrial order that a receiver take control of some of Trump’s properties. An appeals court has frozen that order for now.
veryGood! (143)
Related
- Trump's 'stop
- The next presidential campaign is coming into focus. It might look a lot like the last one.
- Body of solo climber recovered from Colorado mountains
- How RHOSLC Star Jen Shah's Family Is Doing Since She Began Her 5-Year Prison Sentence
- See you latte: Starbucks plans to cut 30% of its menu
- Why Chase Chrisley Says He'll Never Get Back Together With Ex Emmy Medders After Breakup
- How Gigi Hadid Describes Her Approach to Co-Parenting With Zayn Malik
- Danelo Cavalcante press conference livestream: Police share update on escaped Pennsylvania prisoner
- Chuck Scarborough signs off: Hoda Kotb, Al Roker tribute legendary New York anchor
- New York police agree to reform protest tactics in settlement over 2020 response
Ranking
- Finally, good retirement news! Southwest pilots' plan is a bright spot, experts say
- Stock market today: Asian shares fall back amid selling of China property shares
- Metal debris strikes car windshield on Maine highway and comes within inches of motorist’s face
- Maker of rapid-fire triggers falsely told customers they are legal, judge says in preliminary ruling
- The FBI should have done more to collect intelligence before the Capitol riot, watchdog finds
- Complaints over campaign comments by Wisconsin Supreme Court justice are dismissed
- Florida State, Penn State enter top five of college football's NCAA Re-Rank 1-133
- Linda Evangelista Shares She Was Diagnosed With Breast Cancer Twice in 5 Years
Recommendation
Meet first time Grammy nominee Charley Crockett
TikTok’s Irish data center up and running as European privacy project gets under way
Owner of collapsed Iowa building that killed 3 people files lawsuit blaming engineering company
An equipment outage holds up United flights, but the airline and FAA say they’re resuming
Opinion: Gianni Infantino, FIFA sell souls and 2034 World Cup for Saudi Arabia's billions
Ancient Roman bust seized from Massachusetts museum in looting probe
See Michael Jackson’s Sons Blanket and Prince in New Jackson Family Photo
Jorge Vilda out. Spain sacks coach amid furor over nonconsensual kiss at World Cup final