Current:Home > NewsPresident Biden to visit Israel on Wednesday: Sec. Blinken -Blueprint Money Mastery
President Biden to visit Israel on Wednesday: Sec. Blinken
Ethermac View
Date:2025-04-06 12:53:24
President Joe Biden will visit Israel on Wednesday, Secretary of State Anthony Blinken announced on Monday night.
Blinken made the announcement from Israel, where it was early Tuesday morning, following a lengthy meeting with Israel Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu.
Beyond the news of Biden’s impending visit, Blinken also announced the U.S. and Israel will develop a plan "that will enable humanitarian aid from donor nations and multilateral organizations to reach civilians in Gaza and them alone, including the possibility of creating areas to help keep civilians out of harm's way," he said.
MORE: 'Extremely difficult': What would be Israel's objectives in an offensive into Gaza?
At his address to the media, Blinken said Biden has a four-part goal.
"First, the president will reaffirm the United States’ solidarity with Israel and our ironclad commitment to its security. President Biden will again make clear, as he's done unequivocally since Hamas’ slaughter of more than 1400 people, including at least 30 Americans, that Israel has the right and indeed the duty to defend its people from Hamas and other terrorists and to prevent future attacks," Blinken said. "The president will hear from Israel what it needs to defend his people as we continue to work with Congress to meet those needs."
As he continued, Blinken said the president “will underscore our crystal-clear message to any actor, state or non-state, trying to take advantage of this crisis to attack Israel: Don't. To that end, he's deployed two aircraft carrier groups and other military assets to the region.”
Blinken also said Biden will continue coordinating with Israeli partners on working to get hostages released from Hamas.
Lastly, Secretary Blinken said Biden will be briefed on Israel’s “war aims and strategy.”
The Biden administration has pledged unwavering support to Israel in the wake of the terror attacks inflicted by Hamas. The terrorist group launched an unprecedented incursion on Oct. 7, killing hundreds at a music festival and families inside Israeli communities near the Gaza border. Hamas also took nearly 200 hostages from Israel, including Americans.
President Biden called Hamas’ actions “sheer evil” and quickly bolstered munitions to Israel. Top officials, including Secretary Blinken and Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin, have been deployed to the region in a show of solidarity.
In recent days, Biden has also expressed concern about the humanitarian crisis unfolding for Palestinian civilians, stating while Israel has a right to defend itself it must follow the “rules of war."
In his strongest statements yet on Israel's counteroffensive against Hamas, he cautioned that an Israeli occupation of Gaza would be a "big mistake."
The death toll continues to climb in Gaza, with at least 2,750 people killed and 9,700 more injured. In Israel, at least 1,400 people have died and 3,400 have been injured.
Israel, which cut off electricity to Gaza, told more than a million civilians to flee south as it prepares for a possible ground assault. The evacuation call, rejected by Hamas, prompted panic and forced residents to make difficult decisions on whether to stay or leave.
The crisis presents a diplomatic challenge for the Biden administration.
A senior U.S. official previously told ABC News that if Biden did accept Netanyahu's invitation, it would be to try to "modulate" decision-making inside the Israeli cabinet with a belief in the administration that only Biden can successfully urge restraint.
Blinken has said a new focus is "safe zones" for civilians inside Gaza, as well as negotiating the opening of the Rafah border crossing between Israel and Egypt to allow for the flow of humanitarian assistance.
But as of Monday, the United Nations Relief and Works Agency said no fuel, food, water or other kinds of aid had entered Gaza.
MORE: How to help victims of the deadly and distructive Israel-Gaza conflict
There are also concerns that the Hamas-Israel war could spread into a wider regional conflict. Fighting has increased tension along the Lebanon-Israel border, where there have been some clashes between Israel and Iran-backed Hezbollah.
The Pentagon has placed about 2,000 American troops on a heightened state of readiness to possibly be deployed to the Middle East in case they're needed, a U.S. official confirmed to ABC News.
-ABC's Martha Raddatz, Luis Martinez and Jolie Lash contributed to this report.
veryGood! (4)
Related
- Pressure on a veteran and senator shows what’s next for those who oppose Trump
- Blac Chyna Reassures Daughter Dream, 7, About Her Appearance in Heartwarming Video
- Port strike may not affect gas, unless its prolonged: See latest average prices by state
- As search for Helene’s victims drags into second week, sheriff says rescuers ‘will not rest’
- Military service academies see drop in reported sexual assaults after alarming surge
- Toilet paper not expected to see direct impacts from port strike: 'People need to calm down'
- Manslaughter case in fatal police shooting outside Virginia mall goes to jury
- Dodgers legend and broadcaster Fernando Valenzuela on leave to focus on health
- Gen. Mark Milley's security detail and security clearance revoked, Pentagon says
- Soul-searching and regret over unheeded warnings follow Helene’s destruction
Ranking
- Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Joe Burrow owns a $3 million Batmobile Tumbler
- Reuters withdraws two articles on anti-doping agency after arranging Masters pass for source
- Soul-searching and regret over unheeded warnings follow Helene’s destruction
- Utah woman arrested after telling informant she shot her estranged husband in his sleep
- Retirement planning: 3 crucial moves everyone should make before 2025
- Californians’ crime concerns put pressure on criminal justice reform and progressive DAs
- Will Smith Details Finding “Authenticity” After Years of “Deep-Dive Soul Searching”
- A massive strike at U.S. East and Gulf Coast ports has ended | The Excerpt
Recommendation
Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
Watch: Pete Alonso – the 'Polar Bear' – sends Mets to NLDS with ninth-inning home run
Kim Kardashian calls to free Erik and Lyle Menendez after brutal 1996 killings of parents
Kim Kardashian calls to free Erik and Lyle Menendez after brutal 1996 killings of parents
Angelina Jolie nearly fainted making Maria Callas movie: 'My body wasn’t strong enough'
Virginia teacher who was fired over refusing to use student's preferred pronouns awarded $575,000
Wreckage of World War II ship that served with the US and Japan found near California
As search for Helene’s victims drags into second week, sheriff says rescuers ‘will not rest’