Current:Home > FinanceDrew Barrymore dropped as National Book Awards host -Blueprint Money Mastery
Drew Barrymore dropped as National Book Awards host
Algosensey Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 14:41:09
NEW YORK — Drew Barrymore has been dropped as host of the upcoming National Book Awards ceremony, a day after her talk show taped its first episode since the Hollywood writers strike began.
"The National Book Awards is an evening dedicated to celebrating the power of literature, and the incomparable contributions of writers to our culture," the National Book Foundation, which presents the award, said in a statement Tuesday. "In light of the announcement that 'The Drew Barrymore Show' will resume production, the National Book Foundation has rescinded Ms. Barrymore's invitation to host the 74th National Book Awards Ceremony."
The awards event, sometimes referred to as the Academy Awards of the publishing world, is scheduled for Nov. 15.
Barrymore's resumption of her CBS talk show doesn't inherently cause issues with the actors guild, which is also on strike, as daytime talk shows are governed by a different Screen Actors Guild-American Federation of Radio and Television Artists contract that was renewed and ratified last year. But Barrymore's show employs at least three writers who are members of the writers guild, which has been on strike since early May. Those writers were picketing outside the CBS Broadcast Building on Monday.
"The only people I know for sure that are not going back are us three WGA writers. And the rest, I can't really speak for," Chelsea White, one of the show's writers, said on the picket line. "I think first and foremost, this is obviously way bigger than just 'The Drew Barrymore Show' and writers. We are out here standing with our union and feeling great and excited always to stand with our union."
Barrymore drew criticism from members of both guilds for crossing the picket line, and from Colson Whitehead, Alexander Chee and other authors who questioned whether she should remain as host of the National Book Awards.
The fourth season of the talk show is slated to start airing Sept. 18. A representative for Barrymore did not immediately respond to a request for comment. In an Instagram post on Sunday, Barrymore said she was "making the choice to come back for the first time in this strike for our show, that may have my name on it but this is bigger than just me."
"I own this choice," she added, continuing that they would comply with the strikes by not discussing or promoting struck work.
She also mentioned writers in her post.
"I want to be there to provide what writers do so well, which is a way to bring us together or help us make sense of the human experience," she wrote.
At the outset of the writers strike, Barrymore had dropped out as host of the MTV Movie & TV Awards out of solidarity with those on strike (she later won best host at the event, which ditched the live element for a clip-heavy pre-taped show). Elsewhere in the literary world, Netflix CEO Ted Sarandos pulled out of May's PEN America Gala, where he was to receive a Business Visionary Award, saying he didn't want to distract from "the important work that PEN America does for writers and journalists" (Netflix is among the studios and streamers on the other side of the table from the striking workers).
The National Book Foundation has long sought to raise the profile of the book awards, and Barrymore would have been its best-known host in years. When she was announced as host of this year's National Book Awards, the chair of the National Book Foundation's board of directors lauded her work championing books.
"Throughout their careers, Drew Barrymore and Oprah Winfrey have each demonstrated their enduring belief that books have the power to change readers' lives — by opening doors, sparking conversations, and building community," David Steinberger said in a statement, also referencing the ceremony's guest speaker, Winfrey.
On Tuesday, the foundation sought to put the spotlight back on the writers.
"Our commitment is to ensure that the focus of the Awards remains on celebrating writers and books, and we are grateful to Ms. Barrymore and her team for their understanding in this situation," the statement said.
veryGood! (538)
Related
- From family road trips to travel woes: Americans are navigating skyrocketing holiday costs
- Russian court rejects appeal of Evan Gershkovich, Wall Street Journal reporter held on spying charges
- What A Trump Defense Secretary Said At The Elizabeth Holmes Trial
- Hunting sunken treasure from a legendary shipwreck
- DeepSeek: Did a little known Chinese startup cause a 'Sputnik moment' for AI?
- How Halle Berry and Jessica Chastain Replaced Will Smith for This Oscars 2023 Moment After 10-Year Ban
- Facebook asks court to toss FTC lawsuit over its buys of Instagram and WhatsApp
- Halle Bailey Proves She's a Disney Princess in Jaw-Dropping Oscars 2023 Gown
- Civic engagement nonprofits say democracy needs support in between big elections. Do funders agree?
- Apple will soon sell you parts and tools to fix your own iPhone or Mac at home
Ranking
- California DMV apologizes for license plate that some say mocks Oct. 7 attack on Israel
- Is The Future Of The Internet In The Metaverse?
- Oscars 2023: Everything You Didn't See on TV
- Harry Shum Jr. Explains Why There Hasn't Been a Crazy Rich Asians Sequel Yet
- 2 killed, 3 injured in shooting at makeshift club in Houston
- Renowned mountain climber Noel Hanna dies descending from peak of Nepal's treacherous Annapurna
- The hidden costs of holiday consumerism
- Facebook's own data is not as conclusive as you think about teens and mental health
Recommendation
A South Texas lawmaker’s 15
Self-driving Waymo cars gather in a San Francisco neighborhood, confusing residents
Pedro Pascal Brings That Daddy Energy to the 2023 Oscars
Putin meets with China's defense minister in Moscow
Woman dies after Singapore family of 3 gets into accident in Taiwan
North Korea says it tested a solid-fuel intercontinental ballistic missile. One analyst calls it a significant breakthrough
Twitch, the popular game streaming service, confirms that its data has been hacked
The metaverse is already here. The debate now is over who should own it