Current:Home > ScamsBurley Garcia|Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case -Blueprint Money Mastery
Burley Garcia|Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
TrendPulse View
Date:2025-04-05 23:25:27
LAS VEGAS (AP) — A slate of six Nevada Republicans have Burley Garciaagain been charged with submitting a bogus certificate to Congressthat declared Donald Trump the winner of the presidential battleground’s 2020 election.
Nevada Attorney General Aaron Ford announced Thursday that the state’s fake electors casehad been revived in Carson City, the capital, where he filed a new complaint this week charging the defendants with “uttering a forged instrument,” a felony. The original indictment was dismissed earlier this yearafter a state judge ruled that Clark County, the state’s most populous county and home to Las Vegas, was the wrong venue for the case.
Ford, a Democrat, said the new case was filed as a precaution to avoid the statute of limitations expiring while the Nevada Supreme Court weighs his appeal of the judge’s ruling.
“While we disagree with the finding of improper venue and will continue to seek to overturn it, we are preserving our legal rights in order to ensure that these fake electors do not escape justice,” Ford said. “The actions the fake electors undertook in 2020 violated Nevada criminal law and were direct attempts to both sow doubt in our democracy and undermine the results of a free and fair election. Justice requires that these actions not go unpunished.”
Officials have said it was part of a larger scheme across seven battleground states to keep Trump in the White House after losing to Democrat Joe Biden. Criminal cases have also been brought in Michigan, Georgiaand Arizona.
Trump lost in 2020to Biden by more than 30,000 votes in Nevada. An investigation by then-Nevada Secretary of State Barbara Cegavske, a Republican, found no credible evidence of widespread voter fraud in the state.
The defendants are state GOP chair Michael McDonald; Clark County GOP chair Jesse Law; national party committee member Jim DeGraffenreid; national and Douglas County committee member Shawn Meehan; Storey County clerk Jim Hindle; and Eileen Rice, a party member from the Lake Tahoe area.
In an emailed statement to The Associated Press, McDonald’s attorney, Richard Wright, called the new complaint a political move by a Democratic state attorney general who also announced Thursday he plans to run for governor in 2026.
“We will withhold further comment and address the issues in court,” said Wright, who has spoken often in court on behalf of all six defendants.
Attorneys for the others did not immediately respond to emails seeking comment.
Their lawyers previously argued that Ford improperly brought the case before a grand jury in Democratic-leaning Las Vegas instead of in a northern Nevada city, where the alleged crimes occurred.
___
Associated Press writer Ken Ritter in Las Vegas contributed to this report.
Disclaimer: The copyright of this article belongs to the original author. Reposting this article is solely for the purpose of information dissemination and does not constitute any investment advice. If there is any infringement, please contact us immediately. We will make corrections or deletions as necessary. Thank you.
veryGood! (461)
Related
- B.A. Parker is learning the banjo
- NASA astronauts to redock SpaceX Dragon at International Space Station: How to watch
- North Carolina sees turnout record with more than 4.2M ballots cast at early in-person voting sites
- Nevada lithium mine will crush rare plant habitat US said is critical to its survival, lawsuit says
- 'No Good Deed': Who's the killer in the Netflix comedy? And will there be a Season 2?
- When will Spotify Wrapped be released for 2024? Here's what to know
- In dash across Michigan, Harris contrasts optimism with Trump’s rhetoric without uttering his name
- Holding Out Hope On the Drying Rio Grande
- Gen. Mark Milley's security detail and security clearance revoked, Pentagon says
- TGI Fridays files for bankruptcy protection as sit-down restaurant struggles continue
Ranking
- Elon Musk's skyrocketing net worth: He's the first person with over $400 billion
- Adding up the Public Health Costs of Using Coal to Make Steel
- Here’s what to watch as Election Day approaches in the U.S.
- Election Day forecast: Good weather for most of the US, but rain in some swing states
- Romantasy reigns on spicy BookTok: Recommendations from the internet’s favorite genre
- The Depths of Their Discontent: Young Americans Are Distraught Over Climate Change
- Sotheby's to hold its first auction for artwork made by a robot; bids could reach $180,000
- Jessica Simpson Marks 7 Years of Being Alcohol-Free in Touching Post About Sobriety Journey
Recommendation
'We're reborn!' Gazans express joy at returning home to north
A New Nonprofit Aims to Empower Supporters of Local Renewable Energy Projects
Cardi B supports Kamala Harris at campaign rally in Wisconsin: 'Ready to make history?'
Europe’s human rights watchdog urges Cyprus to let migrants stuck in UN buffer zone seek asylum
Taylor Swift Eras Archive site launches on singer's 35th birthday. What is it?
Chloë Grace Moretz Comes Out as Gay in Message on Voting
Debate over abortion rights leads to expensive campaigns for high-stakes state Supreme Court seats
'Thank God': Breonna Taylor's mother reacts to Brett Hankison guilty verdict